Dry Mounting Inkjet Paper

<p>Most of the threads on this topic are several years old and I am in need of some collective wisdom. I'm getting ready to mount and fram a number of prints from my Epson 2880. I have used the Epson Ultra Premium Luster and Matte papers as well as the newer Ilford Gold Fiber Silk. I have a lot of experience mounting B&W gelatin prints using Fusion 4000. However, this mounts at a higher temperature than I've seen recommended. I also recognize that inkjet prints come out flat from the printing process and don't present the same problem as gelatin prints. I am going to do some tests to see what happens to the paper after dry mounting but there are so many newer products on the market.<br>

I would like to hear the experience from others regarding whether they have seen deterioration after mounting and what drymount tissue was used. I don't want to have to buy multiple different products just for testing purposes. I'm also unconvinced about using sprays for cold mounting given the chemical composition of the spray and adhesive.<br>

Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>I mounted a luster inkjet print and it's been fine for a year. There are two things that I've discovered. The temperature can be quite low; a temperature of something like 150-175 degrees is fine to mount. At that temperature, the mounting takes less than 20 seconds. Leaving it in for longer makes it bubble and get that dry mount texture.</p>

<p>We use the 3M PMA 568 and over the last several years (5+) seen no issues with both Epson and Ilford papers. Some of our traditional tissue mounted B&W inkjet prints on the other hand have faded a bit. The 3M material is described by 3M as photo safe and in our hands works great.<br>

Bill</p>

<p>I use Buffermount tissue at 170 degrees F for about 30 seconds. Epson matte paper is fine but luster or glossy paper isn't. Both Epson and HP luster or glossy papers can't handle that temperature at any duration; the surface becomes irregularly blotched and fine dark lines appear in areas like clear blue sky. Lowering the temperature to way below the recommended range of the Buffermount tissue didn't help either. Epson told me that those papers cannot handle those temps; HP told me they would be fine, but clearly they were not. There are archival cold mounting sprays, but they are a pain in the neck to use. You have to get the placement on the mounting board right and even then it is very iffy. The framer I work with uses an oversized mounting board so exact placement isn't a problem; she cuts the board AFTER mounting. I haven't needed/had the courage to try those sprays myself.</p>

<p>I have had many inkjet prints dry (heat) mounted at a local frame shop, mostly Epson Premium Luster on acid-free foam core. They have a large vacuum press. I have seen no discoloration or change in texture, and no fading or cracking in the mounted prints.</p>

<p>Edward,<br>

This is a little confusing for me. First, I have had ALWAYS surface damage and thin dark lines when I tried dry mounting Epson Premium Luster paper, even at temps way below 170 degrees F. Second, to the best of my knowledge, vacuum presses are cold presses exclusively. Are you sure your Premium Luster prints were dry mounted or were they cold mounted with a vacuum press?</p>