Dropped my LX3, what now?

<p>So after weeks of researching the best place, the best price, and whether or not to go with the black or silver model (yeah, I went with black), I finally purchased my Panasonic LX3. I took it out for my first drive. After about 5 videos and 20 photos, I dropped it getting out of the car! It was like in slow motion, complete with my slowed-down, impossibly deep voice saying, "NOOOOOOOOO!" The camera fell about 3 feet onto the pavement, and bounced up, spinning all the way before it tumbled a few more bounces across the road like a bad NASCAR crash.</p>

<p>When I picked it up, half expecting it to still work (after all I'd dropped several Canon's from more egregious heights), I was totally bummed to find that the LCD screen had split, and no longer worked. The power still turns on, and the lens is in tact. What (if anything) else is broken inside, I do not know, nor am I sure how to find out without having a repair person check it out.</p>

<p>So what now? I called a local repair place and they said they could replace the LCD for $168. Is this a good price? Is it worth it? Has anyone else had a similar experience?</p>

<p>Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.</p>

<p>(P.S. in the meantime, I've purchased a Canon G10, but I must say I'm not as impressed as I was with my beloved LX3 during our all-too-short romance)</p>

<p>Unfortunately, my credit card does not have purchase protection. Lesson learned.</p>

<p>I read the warranty information (I broke it within days of purchasing it), and there didn't seem to be any info on me breaking it myself, only defects or damage in the shipping.</p>

<p>Also, I checked with my homeowners insurance, and it is not covered.</p>

<p>I'll try the Panasonic service center, thanks for the guidance!</p>

<p>Just unlucky, Fred.</p>

<p>Good suggestion by James, as most cards do offer protection of this sort, although only for a short time and often requiring a very prompt filing of the claim. Guidelines below, but the <em>precise language</em> of your credit card controls the circumstances.</p>

<p>http://blogs.consumerreports.org/shopping/2006/12/protection_on_t.html</p>

<p>Manufacturer's warranty very seldom covers damage of this sort, the old Leica Passport warranty being a notable exception. And when I last looked Panasonic was a market leader in the warranty department -- but in the <strong>wrong</strong> direction, offering one year parts but only 90 days labor. Perhaps that's improved ? In any case, this damage is typically expressly excluded from manufacturer's warranty coverage ... by all the manufacturers.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>US $150 seems to be the starting price-point for any repair place to do anything to a camera (using a few of my film bodies as a reference), so that would seem a fair price if you go that route.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After about 5 videos and 20 photos, I dropped it getting out of the car!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>This is your karma for shooting videos with your LX3 when so many good, deserving people (like me) would love to simply shoot still photos at the 24mm equivalent if they could just get their hands on one. Remember this when you get your LX3 sorted out.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So what now?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>After you finish mourning your loss (I would be inconsolable), basically you have two options: a) ship it off via some kind of express service and have it repaired <em>tout de suite</em> or; b) given that the LX3 is a global red-hot seller and is currently backordered virtually everywhere, order one at the current price from a reputable dealer, costing you much more money than the express shipping and repair costs for yours would have been, and wait. And wait. And wait.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You're welcome.</p>

<p>I think if you talk to other photo/video people you will soon discover that very many of us ,even those of us who tend to be very carefull with their equipment,have done some damage to our gear over the years.I have dropped 3ccd video camera just last summer downtown Whitehorse.I was suffering of jet lag,my hands were kind of shaky and this little panasonic SDR S100 just slipped out of my hand like a wet bar of soap.It landed right by my feet on a conrete sidewalk.I almost passed out.I lifted up the camera,opend the display and it was cracked.Then I started up the camera and to my amazment it worked 100% and a year later it still works great .I was told the cracked display may eventualy cause an electrical short to the camera system but so far so good.To replace the display would be very costly [about 500 - 600$].So I live with it and I know how it feels when you destroy or damage your toy.I'm always very sorry to hear that.</p>

• 5 months later...

<p>I have a somewhat similar problem/question, and would be very thankful if anyone can answer my query.<br>

I purchased my little wonder machine LX3 (black) around a year ago, and it is so far doing great job! But it was around 2 months ago that my LX3 accidentally fell from hand to the floor (fell around 2 feet). I was really saddened by it. <br>

But to my wonder the camera has kept on working wonderfully, without any apparent problems or external damage whatsoever. But I am still worried if any internal damage has been done (especially to the lense and the motor) by that fall. <br>

As I said, even after that fall, it is working as good as ever. I have taken at least a hundred photos and 5 to 6 videos in the last two months, and have found no problems really.<br>

But is it possible that there can be any internal damage that occurred due to that fall and that may emerge even later? Or, should I really relax believing that since the camera is working alright no internal damage has taken place?<br>

It may be a technical question ... I don't know ... But I really want to assure myself that my camera is alright. <br>

Please help!</p>