Dropped my D300s with Tamron 17-50, lens destroyed.

kohanmike

<p>Last night I was shooting a concert of the Los Angeles Lawyers Philharmonic at Disney Music Hall with my two D300s, Sigma 50-150 OS and four year old Tamron 17-50 VC. At the end of the long night I was walking out of the post concert reception carrying the camera with the Tamron lens, and as I was getting ready to slip it in the Spider Holster on my shooting vest, it fell out of my hand and hit the terrazzo floor hard. Picking it up, I saw the the mount end of the lens was cracked 1/2 way around and separated from the mount. *%^&$@#$!! I could see that it was going to be expensive or impossible to repair, so I decided to just buy a new Sigma 17-50 OS.</p>

<p>I always have my hand in the hand strap that I use for both my cameras (I have nerve damage in my neck and shoulders so can't use a strap), but this one time I was just holding it in the palm of my hand. Obviously I'll never do that again. BTW, I tested the body with my other lens and it seems to be fine.</p>

Unfortunately in this game, we drop things from time to time. In December at a big hectic wedding, in the dark outside, I

didn't zip my lens bag and my 180mm AF-D which is metal clad flopped out onto the concrete with a pronounced loud

thunk. It was a little banged up but after a few hits with a file and some other minor adjustments it survived and was

working fine. Unfortunately the new plastic zooms, of which I have a few, are almost disposable.

Carry on, it could have been much worse.

<p>You better get the camera checked out. I had that happen to me when both the camera and lens fell out of my un-zippered bag and hit the cement floor hard. The lens had to be sent in since the front end of the frame was bent, but the camera looked and acted fine or so I though.</p>

<p>It would be months before I started getting unexplained error codes while on assignment. The camera would just shut down and would take hours to re start. I decided to send the camera in and they told me it was a cracked computer board or something.</p>

<p>I managed to damage a 17-55 to the point it was beyond repair according to Nikon. I had it attached to a D2x. It was on the passenger seat next to me when suddenly a car in front of me came to a sudden stop and slammed the brakes to avoid hitting the car in front of me and the camera and lens went flying. The camera survived but the lens had a very stiff zoom ring and it hunted for focus. I ended up selling it on eBay for a few bucks. Lesson learned, I now put the camera strap over the headrest when traveling and not using a camera bag. I've learned to secure the bag over the headrest too. I have the same combo as you, a D300s and Tokina 17-50VC. The Tokina lens replaced the destroyed Nikkor lens.</p>

<p>I have tried that neck strap, and others, but I have such a good setup now with two Spider Holsters on a LowePro Technical Vest, that I just have to be more diligent holding the cameras. This is the first time that happened since I started using that setup three years ago, and I've used hands straps for about seven years without incident.</p>

<p>I actually debated whether to get another Tamron, which I liked very much, or the Sigma. My Sigma 50-150 OS is the best lens I've ever touched, so I decided to go Sigma this time.</p>

<p>I once dropped my D300 and 70-200VR1. The quick release tripod mount on the lens had not been locked down and it separated from the camera/lens combo when I foolishly picked it up using the mount as a handle. Nothing happened, except that the hood is still slightly bent, but I can tell you the sickening feeling that I had for a few moments was terrible!!! You have all my sympathy!!!</p>

<p>yikes, worst nightmare indeed. i have the sigma 17-50 OS for my D300s setup too. i think you'll find the AF a bit faster. the lens is sharp in the center from 2.8, the corners get better after f/4. the sigma is a little more susceptible to flare and contra light since it has a larger front element than the tamron, but otherwise a fine lens. my only real complaint after owning one for 4 years is the zoom ring, which turns Canon-style, and takes a while getting used to for Nikon shooters.</p>

<p>I once inadvertently tested the "built like a tank" reputation of a Tokina 28-70mm f/2.8 zoom. It failed! The fall was no more than about 18 inches from the back seat of my car onto the floor. The lens fell directly on its front while attached to the Nikon F801s I was using at the time. No external damage was apparent, but the zooming had become stiff and the focus was off.</p>

<p>It turned out that two little plastic (nylon?) riders had been cracked internally and a dent put in the cam race that they were supposed to glide in. After replacing the riders the zoom was useable, but never quite the same as new. So it doesn't take much of a knock to upset the delicate positioning of modern optical components. And I'm sure that the weight of the Tokina lens's metal barrel didn't help things in this case.</p>

<p>Just received the Sigma. Works very well, but somewhat smaller than the Tamron. At the moment I'm debating which I like better. I noticed that the zoom control on the Sigma has a shorter throw, so it should be faster to zoom.</p>

• 2 weeks later...