Dropped EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS in a stream.

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by emmett_mclaughlin, May 22, 2010.

1. [​IMG]
    Sent it to H Lehmanns in Stoke, they sent it back in the exact same condition unopened, still wet as the above pic with the response "Uneconomical to repair". However it seems they have not even dried it out to see if this was the case, don't get me wrong not assuming I know better, but I do know that before testing can start they atleast need to dry it out?
    Confused.
    Emmett
    http://www.robertemmett.co.uk

2. I would probably either send it to cannon, or start taking it apart myself. Will your insurance cover it?
    Heartbreaking, must have been an awful sight.

3. Sorry for your mishap, but is there any reason why you decided to take that very expensive lens anywhere near water ?

4. Harry, what a strange and unsympathetic question! "Anywhere near water..."?!
    Everyone makes photographs of water, and almost no one avoid making photographs in situations in which an accident might cause damage to equipment. If we only took photographs in situation in which our gear was 100% safe from accidents... well, we'd make very few photographs. In fact, we might all stop being photographers and instead become like those strange characters who take more pleasure in handling (but very carefully!) their precious equipment than in using it to make photographs.
    (As I write this I'm thinking of an incident last summer when a well-known and highly-regarded photographer I know dropped a very expensive medium format lens while on location in the Sierra Nevada backcountry. I can just imagine you trying to explain to him how one must never, ever take photographic equipment "anywhere near water.")
    Emmett, I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope that you had insurance on the lens, and good luck sorting this out.
    Dan

5. Emmett,
    Get a ziplock bag or tupperware tub and fill it with rice, put the lens in there with the rice for a week or so, the rice will draw the moisture out.
    After that time inspect it to see if there is still moisture, if so redo the rice bit, if not give the lens a really good clean and then just give it a go. If it works and there are moisture marks internally then it needs to go to a shop for a stripdown and clean, but just ask them to do that, not warranty it or anything, just clean the internal elements.
    The reason people won't fix water damage is because any work can't be guaranteed, problems that can't be foreseen, like contact corrosion etc make it too risky to charge for and impossible to guarantee. I worked on a dive boat for years and have seen many many flooded cameras.
    Hope this helps, Scott.

6. Wow, that's terrible! I'd try your luck with Canon before declaring it "uneconomical." Don't feel too bad, Emmett, it could happen to any of us. I find in these situations it's not the economic cost that hurts the most, it's the self criticism. I really hope that this story has a somewhat happy ending.

7. Your lens is probably toast. It's almost certainly beyond repair if you dropped it in salt water. A small repair shop might be able to rescue the lens if it was fresh water, but they'll have to completely disassemble and reassemble, perhaps replace some electronics, and completely remove/replace all grease. From an economic perspective, I'd suggest the following:
    Homeowner's insurance sometimes covers these mishaps.
    Sometimes your credit card company (same card as you used to buy the lens) will extend certain buyer protections or warranty extensions to you (including theft, loss, damage) during the first year of ownership. Just call them and ask.
    Sell the damaged lens for parts on Ebay. You very well may get nearly the new price for it. (I'm serious.) If you are a highly ethical sort of person, you should put into the listing that a camera repair facility told you it is uneconomical to repair. You might get less money, but your conscience will be clean.
    Good luck!

8. Sorry for your mishap, but is there any reason why you decided to take that very expensive lens anywhere near water ?
    As usual, total cluelessness there in the "reply". As if a shooter shouldn't be taking nice glass to locations.
    You may be hosed Emmett since there are so many electronics in that sophisticated lens. Accidents happen and hope for the best!

9. "As usual, total cluelessness there in the "reply". As if a shooter shouldn't be taking nice glass to locations."

Ah Ken Papapi, "The Master of Sarcasm at Photo net". Ken there is nothing wrong with taking scenic shots by the water I do it all time, but if I'm going to do white water rafting, fishing, water boat skiing, diving, Beach photos on windy humid days, trying to cross raging rivers by skipping from trock to rock, or anything of that nature I leave my bread-and-butter equipment at home.

For those occasions I use my beloved Nikon FM2 and don't have to worry since I can pick another one up on ebay for less than $200. I'm not blaming Emmett, I once dropped my Canon 30D, 2 weeks after I purchased it, because I forgot to zip my camera bag shut and the camera fell on hard cement while I was running for a shot.

Luckily the camera nor the lens was damaged, but if it was, what do you think the folks at Canon would say. "Sir although your camera is under warranty we cannot repair it due to Careless behavior". This is written on the back of the Canon manual.

10. I wasn't white water rafting, fishing or diving. I was taking photos next to a small stream barely 1ft deep, I will continue to take photos near small streams or large ones in future, albeit more careful. I never let the environment dictate when and where I can photograph, I'll keep finding solutions to shoot from atypical vantage points.
    An image from that day...
    [​IMG]
    Stream is on her right.
    I stripped it down, and already much of the moisture is escaping it.
    I've decided to buy a damaged one on eBay, and use the large optics chamber and any electronics as a means of repair.
    Just find it incredible that a reputable repair centre sent it back still wet, drying it out and giving me a explanation of what's
    at fault woud've been a lot more professional.
    Avoid H Lehmanns, be more careful around streams!
    Take it on the chin, and hope it can be resolved with care and patience.

11. Harry, I'm with Ken. Your initial response was the sarcastic, cynical, and demeaning one - and you continue your angry and bizarre tone in your reply to Ken.
    The bulk of your original one-line reply was:
    "... is there any reason why you decided to take that very expensive lens anywhere near water ?"
    "Anywhere near water?" Are you serious?! A simple apology for what you wrote the first time would be more appropriate than your tirade towards Ken... and, by extension, the rest of us who find your initial post insensitive and foolish, and your follow-up even more off the wall.
    Dan

12. "Harry, I'm with Ken. Your initial response was the sarcastic, cynical, and demeaning one - and you continue your angry and bizarre tone in your reply to Ken."

I'm not apologizing in any way and Mr (1 year subscriber) Mitchel I am not your son, so you don't talk down to me. If Emett is upset by what I said then let Emett speak for himself. There are plenty of people on this site that say and do meaner things than what I said, sometimes subtle sometimes not so subtle. I usually brush it off, because we are online and written words can always be miscrontrued.

13. All is not lost! As someone mentioned above you have a good chance of recovery. I have had success in the past and just a few weeks ago I fully saved my wife’s iPhone after she dropped it in a full bathtub of water!
    First make sure you don’t apply any power to the lens.
    Next you should towel off whatever water you can – rotate it is every direction you can to get the water out
    Next use a hairdryer and get the whole thing warmed up – as warm as you can without melting anything, go over all the surfaces.
    You will see fogging on the lens but that will slowly go away - be patient.
    Next do exact as already recommend – fully immerse the lens in a big container of rice. Stir up the rice and lens around twice a day or so. Leave it in there for at least 48 hours
    Take the lens out and give it the hairdryer treatment again then back into a fresh bowl of rice for another 48 hours - you may notice more fogging - that's okay.
    Then take the lens out and leave it in a dry place for about a week. Keeps an eye on any fogging inside – it should slowly disappate (it my not look like it will, but it will)
    Finally, when you feel it has all dried out then stick it on the camera and see how it goes.
    Since it is not salt water you have a very good change that this will work. Patience is the key. It depends a little on how dirty the water was but you will be surprised how the water stains will come out over time
    Good luck!

14. Why didn't you try the rice trick? You should have. It was very good advice.

15. The only problem with the rice method that I can imagine is that you might see more grain in your photos afterwards.
    Sorry. But probably not sorry enough. :)
    Dan
    Dear Harry: It is seven years (more at the link). Name is spelled "Mitchell." Enjoy.

16. df

df

I have my 50D, 300 mm f4, 70-200 mm f4, 17-14mm f4, 50 mm f1.4 all on a personal items policy with my State Farm Agent. I pay $54/year for this coverage for virtually any type of loss. It allows me to to worry more about getting the picture than losing equipent. So far I haven't filed a claim, but accidents can always happen.
    I take my equipment sailing, canoeing, hiking, biking, whatever. I worry more about leaving it in a hotel room than loosing it in water.
    I hope your 70-200 f2.8 IS recovers from its accident. I suggest you get a personal items policy for future coverage. Just keep taking pictures.

17. Accidents happens, I'm sorry for your 70-200 f/2.8L IS. I hope you have some sort of insurance to cover the lost.
    I know a person who dropped his 5D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS in one of the streams in Yosemite, Canon USA in Irvine fixed the camera but did not fix the lens.

18. The only question is, Brown or White ?

19. Ouch! I'm with you on this one.

Since this is not a 'do it yourself' repair, you need special tools like lens collimators. You would also need to be able to carefully remove and replace lens adhesives.

The cost with respect to labour is high because the lens needs to be stripped down to ensure that no moisture remains trapped inside. Some of the materials used in the lens construction tend to absorb water and will either need to be replaced (or removed) and dessicated before being replaced.

If all moisture is not removed then you can expect fogging and mould growth resulting in damage to the lens coatings. There will also be corrosion of the electronic parts.

A portion of the lens was originally assembled robotically. I would imagine it will be more difficult to dismantle and correctly reassemble a lens by hand which. Some parts may have already seen some wear and tear.

So, be prepared for a DIY spoiled repair rendering the lens useless and worthless. I am sure you will consider the cost to repair and the cost to replace. Good luck.
    Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkAWZTwqI4. You can click on the side images to view the remainder of the Canon lens production series.

20. Ouch... If you do have to buy a junk mule lens to salvage internal electronics and mechanical components from, in order to rebuild your wet lens (which you might have to do, since it went so long before you took steps to dry it out) , make sure to order new o-rings and all the other environmental seals from a Canon parts center before you do the final assembly. Also order the factory recommend assembly lube for those items, if called for. It appears that the stream is very shallow, and barring some kind of momentary impact distortion that allowed some water past a seal when it dropped, I suspect that one of the seals was cut/pinched/misaligned/missing all along.
    I have never exposed my lens to water deeper than it's length, as that pressure would kill it in seconds, but over the past 6 years or so, it has been dunked more than half a dozen times, and soaked with rain and surf spray countless times without ill effect. Something wasn't right on your lens. You should find out where the failure was while you nurse it back to health....
    Harry has a point about risking an expensive lens to water, but to be honest, Harry, the reason I bought several of my L lenses is exactly because they are sealed well enough to get the job done, and without suffering damage (and without resorting to extreme, bulky, dive gear solutions). I take lots of pictures where everything gets wet, and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L has been a real trooper for me. You make choices, and live by them.
    Canon would never endorse the foolish behavior I engage in with the lens, but this is how I keep pool chlorine residue, or salt crystals from compromising the moving seals on my lens after a day at the beach. I just give it a thorough fresh water shower before removing the plastic bag used to keep the camera dry. It has never had a hint of moisture show up inside to date, even after going outside on the coldest of days. A quick splash-dunk should not have killed your lens......
    [​IMG]

21. Nothing wrong with shooting with nice gear in wet conditions. Spent the better part of today with my 1Ds III and 17-40 shooting in hip waders in the Columbia River Gorge. Hiked over a mile while in a stream the entire time. Shot on a tripod in waist deep, fast moving water. It rained on me, waterfall sprayed on me, camera was wet several times over. Wiped it off and kept on shooting.
    Shot a wedding in the rain with a 1Ds II and 70-200L. Hours in the rain and was just fine.
    If I stayed away from water, or treated my gear that the fear of anything happening to it was of greater priority than making images, my pictures would be boring indeed.

22. Canon pro services will give you an estimate on repairing your lens. Try them. I have sent at least three lenses to them for repair with excellent results. And no you don't have to be a pro to use their service.

23. Emmett, I think it's worth the descicant attempt, rice of silica gel may help. If you know someone at a university lab, freeze drying may be a better option. After that, insurance or repair with Canon look like your best options. I've just been in contact with CPN to get an estimate for repairs to a 24-105, so I don't know what their prices are like.
    Why would a photographer take the expensice lenses where they could get wet? Because that's what we do
    [​IMG]

24. Here is a "story" with a comparison that might seem dumb (to most of you): once upon a time I had a PowerShot S2 IS... In a mountain trip.. same disaster happened. I know, there is a big difference between a S2 an a brick like 70-200 IS, but nevertheless: first I have removed the batteries and put the camera on a rock in open air for several hours for "natural" drying, hoping it was not dead. Then I have packed it in a dry cloth during the rest of the trip and after returning home I have put it into a large bag full of small bags of silica gel. I have put this "package" near a heater for several days and... surprise: the moisture dissapeared; a bigger surprise: the camera was still functioning! After a couple of shots at f/8 there were a couple of nasty spots there but still... not a tragedy. Went to the Canon service center and they were able to clean these.
    If this comparison will look to "forced" to you, please apologize: I know the huge difference beteween a bridge and a piece of pro equipment. Nevertheless, I will give it a try, knowing from you that it was fresh (and not salt) water. Good luck anyway.

25. "Uneconomical to repair"...
    A 70-200 2.8 IS ...
    Pathetic !
    "The Icon cannot be repaired: get a new one !"
    I use Canon most of the time and I find again, here, their POOR after sales service. (worldwide !)
    That's why, when someone is about to start in serious photo, I suggest Nikon: Canon are state of the art but cross your fingers when needing service... Alas I married Canon...
    Sorry for your mishap and hope for the best !

26. Emmett, the rice and/or dessicant trick does work. Long-grain rice is cheap. It takes about a week or so, and you may need to change out the rice and the bag after checking moisture levels after 3 or 4 days.
    Don't use sushi or arborio rice I've heard mentioned in the past.

27. Florin, and all the other dismissive people, please understand water damage is quite different from knocks scratches and other repairing situations. Canon will not touch it, for the reason I stated very early on in the thread. Insurance companies, who know the cheapest way out of every situation, won't consider trying to repair it, historically water damaged gear ends up being unreliable. It is unfortunate but that is the way it is.
    If you think Canon service is bad then go to the Nikon forums, they have an even worse reputation. But no manufacturer will repair, and give the subsequent warranty, on water damaged equipment.

28. Emmett, I've dropped an entire camera kit in the drink during a canoe trip (fresh water). In that particular case it really wasn't worth repairing. And old Ricoh manual focus K-mount outfit. However, oddly enough, the one piece of fully electronic gear - the flash - survived. Nearly 30 years later the darned thing still works and puts out the rated power, per my flash meter. Based on that experience, I'd say there's hope for your lens.
    I've been caught in the rain several times and had some water that resembles condensation inside the glass. Usually I'll set the lens/camera under a fan. Every hour or so I'll rack the focus/zoom, and flip the lens from front to back and various sides. With the camera I'll tape a sheet of lens cleaning tissue across the lens mount opening to protect the mirror while allowing some airflow. So far, so good. Not quite comparable to my electronic cameras actually taking a swim.
    In an extreme case such as yours I'd consider an alternative: put the lens in a frost-free type refrigerator/freezer. My frost free freezer recirculates cold air continually. The downside of this is that any frozen foods not stored in completely airtight containers will become dessicated. The upside is that it's a nifty way to dry flowers. It might actually work on a lens. At the very least, keep the lens cool to minimize the risk of fungus, mold, mildew and critters.
    "If you think Canon service is bad then go to the Nikon forums, they have an even worse reputation."​
    Eh, that's debatable but I see your point. Nikon USA has been fine with my warranty repairs. I do see a few complaints that appear to have some validity. As for Nikon authorized service outside the US, I've heard some valid complaints. In many cases, tho', complaints are based on unrealistic expectations or unclear communication.
    I had my share of gripes about Canon USA service years ago, mostly regarding a design flaw with camcorders we used for inspections. One end of the handstrap was inexplicably anchored inside the camcorder body. When the rivets popped loose they rattled around inside the camcorders and disabled them. After two or three warranty claims they refused to repair any more, claiming it was the users fault for actually using the handstrap.

29. Take care in freezing the lens: water expands as ice. Since water is inside the lens, the results of ice (growing in size) may not be ideal.
    On the good side, you did not have salt water to deal with....

30. I would have been crying, and for that matter still crying.
    Give the rice trick a shot, at this point you have nothing to loose.
    Good luck I hope it turns out well.

31. Emmett - hope you get it repaired at a reasonable rate. Check with property insuror in the UK, in the states you can get coverage for cameras/gear that is inexpensive and well worth it for accidents like yours.

32. I'm not apologizing in any way

It would be a good idea if you did. Just because there are others like you on online forums doesn't justify your thorough lack of sympathy to the OP.
    The thing is that to any photographer worth their salt, it is often worth taking risks to get the shot. Risks to gear are small compared to e.g. risks to life. If it's not to you, then you care more about your gear than your work and are unlikely to create anything memorable. Now, the OP took a chance and lost gear. It is easy to recognize the photographers from the gear fondlers in this thread - the fondlers don't understand why someone would take a lens out of its glass cabinet into the unpredictable outdoors, whereas the photographers understand the OP's situation because they recognize the need to take risks to get worthy images and sympathize with the OP since they know it could have been their lens.

33. Sorry for your mishap, but is there any reason why you decided to take that very expensive lens anywhere near water ?​
    Yeah, seal it away in a cabinet or safe somewhere. . . .
    --Lannie

34. Sergiu M,
    It's not just a matter of cost, as I have a fair amount of my labor tied up in expensive photo gear for both work and pleasure, but the old S2 will always hold a special high place on my list of favorite cameras. When a pocket camera was not enough, and a real (D)SLR was just too much at the time, the featherweight S2 with it's very fine "super-zoom" lens, and pretty slick movie mode always filled the need back then. It ended up capturing thousands of images for me over time, including some of my all-time favorites.
    I love that gem, and it took a beating without complaint for years before it was retired by the SD900, and then the G9 for pocket camera/stealth duty. Even though it has spent far more time on a display shelf than taking pictures over the past few years, it's still ready for action today!
    [​IMG]

35. "Take care in freezing the lens: water expands as ice."​
    Jerry makes a good point - I was assuming there was only residual water inside the lens, droplets and condensation. The refrigerator section of a frost-free unit will accomplish pretty much the same thing but more slowly. There's usually a fan blowing downward along the back of the unit. Between recirculating air and the cool temperature it should help with drying and inhibiting the growth of critters.

36. A trick I have used to get rid of water in watches requires rather specialised laboratory equipment but is worth mentioning. Place the watch or lens in a large vacuum dessicator or any other vacuum chamber with or without a dessicant, such as silica gel. Evacuate the chamber with an oil vacuum pump. Water will evaporate fairly quickly depending on the strength of the vacuum.

37. Jim, great shot of showering your lens. Will you be including that picture when you put up your lens for sale? :)
    Is there a filter on your lens during the shower?

38. All someone has to do is say Canon.......and some reactionary says, "oh yea....Nikon!" Sigh.
    I have had marvelous service from Nikon repair centers. Fast, professional and fairly (though not cheaply) priced. I say this not to start a flame war but only to give credit where it is due. On one occasion they were kind enough to turn around what amounted to a complete rebuild of a D2H in a week. And they paid the overnight return shipping.

39. Here in the Phoenix area is an excellent little repair shop called Tempe Camera. If you Google them, you'll find them. When I broke a 24-70L (dropped it on concrete) the lady at Canon said in a whisper, "send it to Tempe Camera, we certify their repair techs and they are much cheaper than ours". So I did, Excellent service. Perfect workmanship, and a fraction of the cost.

40. Lex and Lee,
    I have had far better service from Canon than Nikon, for one, Canon USA recognise, and will service and carry out warranty work on Canon lenses where ever they were bought, even grey imports. I buy lenses when I need them where ever that might be, Nikon USA are often reluctant to work on non USA supplied equipment and they will not honour warranties from out of country sales (well they didn't used to). For many that is a non issue, for me and my lifestyle it is a deal breaker.

41. I am not too worried about this anyway. Harry had his say and we know what photographers are after anyway -- last week I was laying on my belly shooting into a stream with maybe 15 inches clearance above the water -- with a $1700 body and $1600 lens (middle of the road equipment these days). If Harry were with me he'd caution me NOT to attempt the shot. LOL!
    I bet in a week or two Emmitt's lens will be performing better but it'll never be the same. Accidents happen -- all one can do is their best to minimize (but not eliminate).
    Go for the GUSTO! Take a few risks. Life is too short.

42. Ignore the snide comments! But, why they come here to publiclicy state they are so rude is beoynd me. They must not have had mothers.
    Since, every mother tells the children if you can not say anthing nice shut your clap. We know these people best from the comments they leave.

43. Sorry for your mishap. As others have stated, only real photographers take the risks to get the good shots. The key is to prepare and think carefully about what you can do to prevent a mishap before you proceed. As the old adage goes,
    "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. When I take my cameras into risky situations, I try to stop and think about what could go wrong and imagine what I can do to prevent such things from happening, then I am prepared. Crap happens, and we all learn from our mistakes. I hope that this event will allow you to be more prepared in the future so that something like this does not happen to you again. Good luck with your repair, I hope it works out for you.

44. I have devised a list of risky situations for your hard-earned equipment at home, or in the field.
    Please feel free to add to this list.
    ================================================================== <br><br<br>

a) on the corner of a table or shelf with the camera strap dangling down <br>
    b) anywhere near kids under 9 years old<br>
    c) anywhere near pets especially dogs(they might think your 35mm f1.4 is a dog-bone)<br>
    d) in the bathroom( never leave a lens or camera in the bathroom too long the humidly will kill it)<br>
    e)on top of a heater(common folks you know better than that)<br>
    f)by an open window where rain can suddenly turn your investment into crap<br>
    g)inside you cars; glove compartment in the heat of summer or winter<br>
    h) in the trunk of your car<br>
    i) during a thunderstorm<br>
    k)on the beach on a howling windy and humid day<br>
    l) in Artic weather below 15 degrees<br>
    m) infront of a military base <br>
    n) infront of a federal building in Washington DC, NY, L.A. or anywhere else for that matter<br>
    o) on the floor right under your bed(no matter how tired you are pack it up)<br>
    p) in a camera bag that is not really a camera bag<br>
    r) in Detroit at 2:00AM in the morning <br>
    s) white water rafting, deep sea diving, water-boat skiing, crossing alligator infested rivers <br>
    t) inside one of those Roach Motels <br>
    u)during a riot <br>
    v) infront of a Police station <br>
    u) on a steep mountain or cliff(when you are not sure about your camera strap) <br>
    w) areas where avalanches are common <br>
    x) inner city ghetto <br>
    y) in the path of a tornado <br>
    z) near seemingly harmless looking streams <br><br><br>

Emmet, I sincerely apologize for my harsh and crititcal statements..

45. Yes, don't get too close to the ocean"
    [​IMG]
    Don't shoot close to sports activities or in the rain:
    [​IMG]
    Avoid dust and sand:
    [​IMG]
    Don't carry your gear into dangerous alpine zones:
    [​IMG]
    Avoid getting too close to creeks.
    [​IMG]
    Never shoot in foggy, misty, drizzly conditions.
    [​IMG]
    Keep your distance from waterfalls.
    [​IMG]
    Keep your camera in the car when it rains.
    [​IMG]
    Avoid steep drop-offs and edges of cliffs.
    [​IMG]
    And always wear your galoshes and don't catch cold. :)
    Dan

46. Don't feel too bad. I had mine stolen from me last weekend while I was shooting a wedding. :( The worst part is, I was shooting at a marina of which my family has been member's for about 15 years. People don't just steal things like that there. Or at least I thought they didn't.
    I hope you can salvage it.

47. Emmett, sorry if I repeat what someone else said, way to much to read.
    I have dropped a couple lenses and bodies in the water. Instead of sending back to Nikon I simply repaired myself. My 105mm looked just like your lens with condensation all up inside it. I just took all the screws out and gently seperated enough for air to get it. I then laid it in a tray and sat it on top of a space heater on low heat. I put a thermometer inside the tray and made sure it stayed around 105F. Two days later I was shooting with it, that was two years ago. It still looks and acts brand new to this day.
    I had my lens drying out withen a half hour of dropping it in the water. I can not say this will work for you. A lot of time has passed with it being wet. In all that time the water will most likely leave spots as it dries. Who knows, you may get lucky. If not send it back to Canon, They are good folks and will help you out best they can.
    Good Luck,

48. Emmett, by accident I discovered a good method to try as a last resort when recovering waterlogged electronics. I left my cell phone in my jeans pocket when they went into the wash. Not realizing where I had lost it, I put the jeans in the clothes dryer. My wife found my cell phone still in the pocket when emptying the dryer. I left the phone open with the battery out overnight and the next morning assembled everything. It worked!
    Now, I wouldn't just toss my lens into the dryer wrapped in a towel, but our dryer came with a rack for drying sweaters flat. The rack suspends the item in the center of the dryer, so essentially you are exposing the item to the dry heat, but it's not getting tossed around. I'd probably try the lowest setting first. I know this post is probably too late for you, but this is the method I'd try if I found myself in your situation. Just coming back from Niagra Falls my 40D got its fair share of mist but luckily nothing made it into the lens or body.

49. I'm sorry to hear this Emmett. But you got some good responses. Try drying up all the moisture with rice or coffee beans, and after a week, your lens should be usable. Since it was a stream, and not salt water, I don't think you'll find any of the electronics corroded. After that take it to a shop and have them clean all the internal elements. Don't be afraid to take the lens in risky places! After all, that's why you bought the lens, right?

50. Emmett -
    More than likely the lens elements can be saved if they're cleaned and dismantled. Otherwise there might be some acids and other nasties in the stream which may eat at the coatings.
    As for the electronics, that's a different story. I have yet to see a USM ring motor go bad physically. The electronics which drive the USM, that's a different story. Same with the EMD.
    Internal mechanics should also be good such as the focus cams and zoom cams. Canon builds them quite robustly.
    Send it off to Canon. Get an estimate on the repair. I've had to repair my 70-200 2.8L since it was dropped from someone borrowing it. Had to take the entire thing apart so I'm quite familiar how they're put together. And yes, I got mine working fully. They're not too hard to work on if you know what you're doing.

51. Emmett -
    Also if you're trying to dry out the lens, nothing works better than some packs of desicant silica gel. Make sure they're brand new fresh packs. Just put the lens in a ziplock bag, add some desicant gel and squeeze out all the air in the bag, then seal shut. Much more effective than the "rice" trick.
    About the only water damaged piece that I have not been able to recover was a friends Canon 5D body. But that was in a flooded basement with plenty of iron oxide in the water. It died a horrible death.

52. I would get a waterproof bag and a lens raincover from think tank. I would also always put the camera strap around my neck when taking shots. Also you should have a great ball head and a nice tripod that secure your camera when shooting creeks and landscapes. Last year I dropped my lens in the airport, broke the filter, knocked the focus out of whack. Cost $125 to fix. A camera vest would also help with deep big pockets. I use a vested interest vest. You can find just type vested interest in google and you find it.

53. it

it

I have that lens. I would just send it straight to Canon asap. No home remedy is going to fix it.
    (Hilarious comment about not taking your precious equipment near water!)

54. Guys,
    Canon will not touch it, they will not repair it and they won't quote for it. They will class it as an uneconomical repair, they have to because they can't warranty it. That is a sad fact of water damage.
    Please, everybody, stop saying, send it to Canon, that is not the answer in this instance.

55. That is not true if is not badly damaged they will look at it. I would open up the lens and let the water dry out and then try to send it in and see if they can fix it. This also depends on how much damage you have in this lens. You really have to be careful with your gear and always have the strap around your neck and have a mat to lay your lens on or a belt or camera vest not to have lens fall into the water or worse fall off a cliff. Never leave a tripod unattended either, wind will knock it over. I can promise you that.

56. it

it

If water has touched the electronics it's DOA.

57. Robert Body,
    Make no mistake, my 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens is going on 7 years old, and it is one of my very favorite lenses. I don't abuse it for fun. I just use it, and at this point in time, it has seen more showers, and more water in general, than many people have encountered. If a seal lets go, and it becomes a canteen at this point in time, it owes me nothing, and I'll cry for a minute, but I'll deal with it, and expect the same service from it's replacement. Of course, it still seems far from retirement at the present time....
    Here is a shot of the very same lens I washed in the shower, mounted on the same 40D body that was protected by the clear garbage bag in the shower. The only difference is that there was also a Canon 1.4x tele extender in place when I took this shot tonight. No, I do not use filters on my sealed lenses unless it is for photographic effect, but I do use a factory hood at all times, and with most all of my lenses instead. This "shower series", including this follow up shot has been the only time that some people who know me very well have ever seen this lens without it's hood in place.
    [​IMG]
    That shot was made with my trusty G9 and a bounced 580EXII strobe. Just to show that the lens really is clear of water damage, I swapped the 580EXII to the 40D, and took a pic of the G9 with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS lens, with the 1.4x extender still in place. That makes for pretty shallow DOF wide open at under 6', no? Both shots are direct RAW to jpg conversions, and no cropping was applied. I love that big lens, and would never hurt it on purpose. Then again, if it couldn't take a casual dip in a stream, I'd have it repaired, as it would have clearly been broken to begin with..... The EXIF data is intact for shot details.
    [​IMG]

58. Robert,
    Here is the big eye view of the same lens after nearly seven years with only a hood for front element protection, a global passport, and many salt and fresh water showers along the way. This was it's exact front end configuration during the shower shot. I hate it that anyone suffered an innocent water loss with a similar lens, but a Mercedes Benz with a defective windshield seal will get wet inside during a rainstorm, and might suffer serious electrical damage. That doesn't suggest that people who own such cars should only drive them on a dry, sunny day though.
    I tend to keep what I buy over time, rather than sell it off to finance new purchases. If I do sell something hiding in a box unused, rather than just give it away, it's condition is perfect, or close to it. If I kill it, I bury it. I would never sell someone Mediterranean sea salt, and charge them for a salt shaker that looks like an $1800 lens....
    When this lens dies, I'll have it's carcass mounted and framed. If I die first, someone else could worry about it's future disposition while they put it to work for a year or ten. I just hope they wash it once in awhile. Adventure dirt builds up fast on a favorite lens....
    [​IMG]

59. The OP's wet lens is basically totaled. Heartbreaking.

60. Jim, that's great to see someone who gets so much out of their lens... any chance of seeing some of your pictures in your profile on photo.net? Or in this thread? I mean pictures taken with your favorite lens, or others.
    My lenses have come and gone, I only have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 that I kept since 1999. But I never owned a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS... yet. Hopefully that is about to change in the next 10 days...

61. Thanks for the suggestions and sympathies! :eek:)
    It's now in several parts in a drawer and completely dried out, the main front eye glass element has water spots internally.
    I have decided to take a gamble on buying a damaged lens and making either a heroic attempt to repair it or possibly a silly botched attempt. Either way I need to clear my mind of atleast trying.
    In the meantime will buy another too (the faulty ones don't appear often), and I need a replacement fast. Shooting a wedding in Liverpool the other day was a stark reminder. I guess my wee 50mm f/1.4 USM saved me there (see pic).
    Well, chin up I guess karma will reward me with a Leica M9 someday (or i'll wake up with egg on my face).
    I've also learned H Lehmann are unreliable and vague at best, theres a great community here (i'll be here more often), Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L's can be showered, and theres a lot of people willing to take a risk for a great shot.
    I'm already planning a press shoot with a DJ that involves an underwater studio, and a wedding shoot in a lake.
    Thanks again,
    Emmett
    [​IMG]
    Liverpool Photographer | http://www.robertemmett.co.uk

62. I did the exact same thing in Sadoina, AZ. I dried as much as I couild with a cloth and then used the only tool I had available.... my car! I started my car and turned on the defroster as high as it would go. Please understand that the defroster in a car runs the air conditioner. The outside air is passed over the A/C evaporator to dehumidify it and then across the heater core to heat it. The result is hot dry air on the windshiled. I simply stet the lens on top of the defroster discharge, turning it about every 20 minutes or so. I did this for two hours. The result? I have been using the lens for over a year since the "accident" with no problems! All it cost is some fuel to run the car's engine. Hope this helps...

63. I did the exact same thing in Sadoina, AZ. I dried as much as I couild with a cloth and then used the only tool I had available.... my car! I started my car and turned on the defroster as high as it would go. Please understand that the defroster in a car runs the air conditioner. The outside air is passed over the A/C evaporator to dehumidify it and then across the heater core to heat it. The result is hot dry air on the windshiled. I simply stet the lens on top of the defroster discharge, turning it about every 20 minutes or so. I did this for two hours. The result? I have been using the lens for over a year since the "accident" with no problems! All it cost is some fuel to run the car's engine. Hope this helps...

64. I did the exact same thing in Sadona, AZ. I dried as much as I could with a cloth and then used the only tool I had available.... my car! I started my car and turned on the defroster as high as it would go. Please understand that the defrost system in a car runs the air conditioner. The outside air is passed over the A/C evaporator to dehumidify it and then across the heater core to heat it. The result is hot dry air on the windshiled. I simply set the lens on top of the defroster discharge, turning it about every 20 minutes or so. I did this for two hours. The result? I have been using the lens for over a year since the "accident" with no problems! All it cost is some fuel to run the car's engine. Hope this helps...

65. Brace yourselves -
    [​IMG]
    Large: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4652974388_e9302f1f47_o.jpg
    [​IMG]
    Large: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4652354545_5a46dd4705_o.jpg
    Eeeek!

66. Nice pics. That's actually the beginning portion of opening the lens completely up. I would suspect the boards first and foremost. You might have to get at each one of the elements and clean them up due to the water damage.