drop down no longer visible in netscape 4.7 either

doug_mcgoldrick2

You aren't adhering to the good and true by using a standards non-compliant browser like Netscape 4.

The only "supported" browser for the pull-down-menus was IE version 5 or later. It so happens that the pull-downs sort of worked with some versions of NS 4.x, although not the Mozilla-based versions of Netscape. The lastest changes have now completely broken NS 4.

I am about to put a new version of the pull-downs into production. These work on IE 5 and later, and on "W3C standards-compliant" browsers like NS 6 and NS 7, Mozilla, and perhaps the latest version of Opera. However, I didn't fix them for NS 4. and at this point I don't know how to do that.

If you don't want to upgrade your browser, you should turn the pull-down-menus off, using the same link in your workspace as you used to turn them on (the one that took you to a page that said it probably wouldn't work and that you were on your own if you tried it.)

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but at this point IE4 and NS4 browsers represent around 4% of our traffic, and it just isn't worth it to make the pull-down-menus work in these browsers, which are a web developers' nightmare of bugs and incompatible proprietary features.

I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't implying that IE is a particularly standards-compliant browser either, although IE 6.0 is a big improvement over 5. We support IE because currently 88% of our traffic is IE, with 63% of our traffic being IE 6.

It would make the lives of all web developers a great deal easier if people would upgrade their browsers to a current version, which are a great deal more conformant with web standards than previous versions. IE 6, NS 6 or 7, Mozilla, or Opera 7 are all options. In particular Opera runs on many platforms and is very small and fast.

Maybe somewhere on the site we should provide links to the current version of the 4 major browsers along with a small writeup about why users should keep current! They are all free downloads, though Opera does require a small payment if you don't want banner ads to start appearing after 30 days!

The only problem is that for those of us still too cheap to go to DSL or Cable (I'm on a 56K dialup), some browsers take several hours to download. Opera is the smallest (about 3MB without Java support).

I have all of them on my system, but I guess I tend to use IE 6.0 most since, unfortunately, most sites seemed to be designed around it. Sites which fail on other browsers usually work on IE 6. Score another one for the Microsoft monopoly.