Dream Photo Destination

norle_colussi

Remy,

Sorry if my question is not clear enough. Most people dream of photographing a place they consider special for different reasons.When asking this question before I got as a reply: The Galapagos, the Artic Circle, China, Sea of Cortez/Baja California, etc. On posting this question here, my idea was to find out what sort of places people at photo.net are intersted in. Or that maybe, people are so well travelled that they no longer dream.

Regards,

Norle

For nature photographers, most of the "dream" photo destinations have an ad for a course in the back of Outdoor Photographer.

I love travel photography, but it is not my major reason for travel. Often, my favorite travel photos have a story that come along with them. Other times, my photography puts me in a place that I would not ordinary be and that creates a memorable experience. And I particularly like when I go to an average location and find a great shot.

But just to answer your question, if I had to pick one, right now, my dream photography destination would be Tuscany. I was lucky enough to spend about a week there in 2001.

If you ask me tomorrow (or in 5 minutes) I might have a different answer for you though.

I'm sure that depends on peoples preferred type of photography.

I'm personally mostly interested in wildlife and nature photography, so it would have to be somewhere where animals/plants can be seen in their native beauty.

Although I have been to the Galapagos, I would put it down as my dream destination, as when i visited I had barely gotten my first SLR of of it's box, and barely knew how to switch it on!! For someone with a bit of talent and technique it is a dream location.

I'd also love to visit Antartica, but the prospect of seasickness in getting there has ruled it out for me for now.

Also, any location where i could shoot large whales/ dolphins in close proximity would be a definite dream (above or below the water).

How about you???

For myself who's nuts about nature and culture these are my dream places for photography: Bagan, Yucatan Peninsula, Angkor, the Himalayas, Inle Lake, Canadian Rockies (especially Yoho and Lake O'Hara)...and, believe it or not, Bangkok! I can easily spend more than a week in each of these places.

The two most photogenic places in China: GUILIN in southwestern China and HUANG SHAN (the Yellow Mountain) in Eastern China. You can't be disappointed. Just make sure you go there with enough time and without crowds. There are many sites about these two places. Some examples: http://www.chinavista.com/travel/guilin/main.html ; http://china-hiking.com/huangshan/ ; http://www.chinatravel1.com/english/city/guilin.htm

After travelling extensively throught the Middle East and the Indian Subcontinent, including an 8 month trip through India and Nepal, I would vote for the Indian subcontinent. Colourful, vibrant, very polite people, easy travelling, good food and lots and lots of photographic opportunities. Although other parts are wonderful as well, I prefer the Himalayan areas like Ladakh and Spiti and the trekking areas in Nepal. Out of this world landscapes and beautiful people and festivals.

Spend some time in Laos as well. Particularly the north is superb as well.

My dream destination is the British Channel Islands, especially Guernsey and Sark. The light there is something special. I have been there many times but now I begin to think I can do them justice photographically.

I'm lucky - I've already spent time in both Cambodia and Australia but I was very much a beginner in SLR photography at the time. So I'd love to go back - 4-6 months in Oz, 1-2 months in Cambodia with at least 14 days in Angkor, to fully document the temples, landscapes and recent history. Mind you, ultimate dream would be to spend about 2 years travelling the world as a photographer to then be able to set up a worldwide travel photography website...hoping to make that a reality in 2 years time - reckon on having to save £15-20,000 to do it!!! Yikes!!!!!!!! Will be happy to chuck in the day job then though! Neil

Thanks all for your contribution.

Gearoid O'Sullivan,

You�ve asked me which is my dream destination. Well, right now it has to be Brazil. An anglophile from an early age, I spent many years in the UK and didn�t know anything about my own country. Now, that I am back home, I�m very excited about discovering and photographing the amazing beauty of this country.

Apart from Stockholm, Sweden. Here is another vote for Tasmania!<br>We have the greatest variety of scenery of any Australian state. Most importantly, you don't have to travel for hundreds of miles to enjoy the different landscapes. Finally, as opposed to much of mainland Australia, we actually have the four seasons of the year, with hot dried out landscapes in the summer to snow scenery in the winter...

I couldn't agree more with Quang-Tuan Luong! Antarctica is the only continent I haven't photographed yet. For anyone lucky enough to have been born in the developed world almost everywhere else on earth (at least on land or in shallow water) is accessible. So don't dream just go!<P>

If I ever figure out a way to travel independently in Antarctica I'll be there (organized tours are not an option, the idea repels me).<P>Of course I dream of traveling beyond earth too. I used to think this might become possible within my lifetime - but unfortunately now I doubt it. The rest of humanity seems to be more interested in ruining this planet than in visiting new ones...<p>Karl Lehmann <a href="http://www.lostworldarts.com/new_page_3.htm">Lost World

Arts</a>

lake Naivasha: Golden Acacias at sunrise

London bridge: At 08:00 hours watching grey suits migrate over from the tube station

Mt Kilimanjaro: For "scatterlings of Africa" by jonny cleg and Savuka from below and from the top

Cape Point South Africa January: because it just is.

Off the comores 115 meters down looking into a cave with celeocanths

Mackenzie river Alaska an oldie but still goodie

Whos paying for this then?