DPP's new lens correction controls

btmuir

<p>Hey everyone.<br>

Does anyone know if the distortion correction is DPP reads the focus distance info some lenses are capable of reporting to the camera body.</p>

<p>Is this distance info stored in exif or is it strictly for e-TTL.</p>

<p>I noticed the focus info slider in the distortion correction applet but it always registers the same distance (near infinity) but I've only played with it with my EF 50 1.4 which does not have distance capabilities.</p>

<p>I like some of the newer features in DPP these days, almost makes it worth using.</p>

<p>I'd be interested in the experiences anyone has had with the noise reduction and the lens corrections capabilities.</p>

<p>Thanks.<br>

BTM</p>

<p>If DPP would add a straighten tool I'd be pretty happy.</p>

<p>Anyways from what I've heard the distance slider is set to a default setting unless you have a newer camera body and compatible lens (the lenses don't need to be that new from what I hear, but not all lenses are supported, I don't know any specifics about the 50 1.4). When the distortion correction first showed up less lenses were available for it, but now even third party lenses can be used with it. I don't think the latest update did anything really useful, at least I can't see any difference since installing it.</p>

<p>The noise reduction has come a ways. It does a better job and I think it goes further (either that or they just rebranded the 1-10 range as a 1-20 range).</p>

<p>It's a very useful tool for working with RAW files and using the Canon Picture Styles. You can download extra Picture Styles for it from <a href="http://web.canon.jp/imaging/picturestyle/file/index.html">here</a> . Picture Styles are only alterable in RAW. You can even add a sepia tone or give an effect of a colored filter for black and white RAW photos.</p>

<p>Tone curve assist is also useful. Batch editting is also useful.</p>

<p>But you have to keep in mind that this is coming from someone that doesn't own photoshop and doesn't plan too. I do have Paint Shop Pro Photo 9 (PSP9), but I'd need to upgrade to X2 to use RAW.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>Yes it does.<br>

<br>

The longer answer is as follows. Not all lenses return distance information. Not all bodies record it even if it is returned (even some that use it for E-TTL II) but if it is recorded for correction purposes it goes into the EXIF – where else could it go? If you have a lens that returns distance information and a body that records it, then the slider position when you open the "Tune" window will be set by the distance, otherwise it will be set at infinity. Except for close-up shots the slider is usually very close to the infinity position, which has created a misleading impression that it is not set from the distance information, whereas it actually works as advertised. So if you have a shot without distance information and want to fine-tune the slider setting, you won't need to move it far except for close-ups. As to the specific question of whether it affects the distortion correction, the answer is most certainly yes. I just tried it with a shot taken with the 17~40 at 17mm and focused pretty much at infinity, and as I adjusted the distance slider the image changed quite noticeably.</p>

<p>I've been doing a lot of indoor sports shooting lately at ISO 1600 on my Rebel XT, which displays a good amount of noise at that setting. I've found the latest noise reduction in DPP to be an improvement over the last version. Shooting RAW, I set the chroma noise NR to 3 and luminance noise to 2 (out of 20). Even at those low settings it almost eliminates the noise, but it does soften the image. For what I'm shooting it's an acceptable trade off.</p>

<p>If Canon is reading this, another vote for the "straighten" tool, please.</p>