Doug Gordon creative posing workshops on DVD...anyone tried them?

steve_c.5

I have the flowposing and ground posing DVDs. There is definatly something to be said for having a flowing set of poses you can use to get the boring stuff out of the way so you can shoot more PJ.

Having said that I find the way he directs his subjects very annoying and cheesy. ie "Just turn your head this way beautiful.." when talking to the bride. He seems to yank the subjects around like rag dolls during the sessions.

One of the biggest challenges I have is not with singles or couples, but with groups. I always like to pose groups with a creative style, not just standing there smiling. Some groups are easier than others. Some are distracted, not paying attention, and some don't take direction well. Some don't know what to do with their bodies or how to stand, so I spend more time than I'd like with each person trying to get a natural pose out of them. I'm really hoping Doug has a DVD that goes into this and will give me some tips for working with groups to get them into those artistic natural poses quickly.

With group posing, there is a finesse that's needed to coax the party into a) the right mood, b) a nice/interesting pose and c) prep'd for the lighting you use.

I always break up a group with one or two of the party kneeling/squatting, facing away from, or leaning on, others in the group. This simple use of position provides a quick and relaxiing pose 99% of the time. Besides, you nearly always find they will be laughing as you set up this time and that always makes for the best shots IMO.