Double rebate now...or lower prices in a few months?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by anthonyd, Feb 16, 2007.

1. About to purchase a 5D and a 70-200 F/2.8L IS USM lens today so I can take
    advantage of the double rebate. Checking around, there seems to be some
    question as to how bad Canons rebate center may be. Also, what do you
    think...should I wait for a few months to see if the 5D drops in price?

2. Hmmm....wish I'd noticed Isabel's post before I posted this one! But at least here, I'm asking about the 5D!

3. Some people will tell you that they have received rebates without a problem, but there are
    quite a few others reporting aggravating and time consuming experiences with Canon's
    rebate processors.

I'm in the latter camp. I thought about upgrading to a 5D and another lens under the current
    rebate offer, but the bitter taste remaining from my last rebate purchase made me reconsider
    and not make the purchase.

4. I have another rebate question:

Do I still get a double rebate on the camera body and the lens if I buy the kit? Or do I have to buy the camera body and lens separately to get a double rebate on both?

5. Gisela,
    According to Costco, you get the double rebate with the kit. $600 on the body and $40 on the 28-135 IS USM lens. They also have a kit with a 75-300 lens, but it has no IS and I'm not sure about the rebate on that one. I'm going with the 28-135 because of the IS and the fact that the reviews of the 70-200 F/2.8L IS USM are outstanding so that will be my second lens. I've been told more than once that with the 5D the L series is the way to go. (If you can!)

6. I had a problem with my rebate last year, but i eventually got it. I received my rebate this year with no problem. Just make sure you make copies of everything and send everything to them that they ask for. I don't think the 5 d will drop a lot over the next month, ut you will be getting $600 in rebates for the 5d if you buy the lens so i would go for it.

7. Thanks Danny. I did go for it and will be certain to give all the items requested. The rebate is part of my lighting fund so I'll pray it doesn't take longer than 6 weeks. We'll see how it goes!