Double rebate now...or lower prices in a few months?

anthonyd

About to purchase a 5D and a 70-200 F/2.8L IS USM lens today so I can take

advantage of the double rebate. Checking around, there seems to be some

question as to how bad Canons rebate center may be. Also, what do you

think...should I wait for a few months to see if the 5D drops in price?

Some people will tell you that they have received rebates without a problem, but there are

quite a few others reporting aggravating and time consuming experiences with Canon's

rebate processors.

I'm in the latter camp. I thought about upgrading to a 5D and another lens under the current

rebate offer, but the bitter taste remaining from my last rebate purchase made me reconsider

and not make the purchase.

Gisela,

According to Costco, you get the double rebate with the kit. $600 on the body and $40 on the 28-135 IS USM lens. They also have a kit with a 75-300 lens, but it has no IS and I'm not sure about the rebate on that one. I'm going with the 28-135 because of the IS and the fact that the reviews of the 70-200 F/2.8L IS USM are outstanding so that will be my second lens. I've been told more than once that with the 5D the L series is the way to go. (If you can!)

I had a problem with my rebate last year, but i eventually got it. I received my rebate this year with no problem. Just make sure you make copies of everything and send everything to them that they ask for. I don't think the 5 d will drop a lot over the next month, ut you will be getting $600 in rebates for the 5d if you buy the lens so i would go for it.