Double matting question.

<p>I've just started matting and framing my prints. At first I just used a single mat and would hinge the mat to the back board, and then hinge the print to the back board. This worked very well. <br /> Now I've started to double mat my prints using acid free ATG tape to mount the two mats together leaving a 1/4 boarder around the outside of the back of the window mat.<br /> Now, because of this 1/4 gap around the outside, trying to hinge the double mat to the back board doesn't work very well. <br /> My question, what's the correct way to do this?</p>

<p>I attach the two mats to each other, and then hinge the mount board to that from the back. I use photo corners to hold the photo to the back, but otherwise my technique is about the same.</p>

<p>I make the outside dimensions of the inner mat about 1 inch smaller than the outer mat and align them visually before taping them together. I find I can do it by eye better than by measurement, I can see a 1/64" deviation but can't measure it.</p>

<p>Then I make the back or mount board about 1/2 inch smaller than the inner mat, and attach the mount to the inner mat. Again, that way I can adjust the print slightlly within the mat opening.</p>

<p>I learned this method from someone many years ago, so I don't know if it's "approved" or anything, but it's how I've matted hundreds of prints in the last 5 years.</p>

<p><Chas><br /></p>