Double mats, the best two colors that can work universally together for color and B&W prints?

<p>I would like to start matting and framing my 12x18 prints, printed on 13x19 paper . Also, for this large size, I would like to use a double mat, the bottom mat would have about a 1/4 overlap.<br /> My question, which two mat colors and core colors work inversely with both B&W and color prints? <br /> My idea here is to start off with just two colors for the top and bottom mats. Buy in volume quantities to keep costs down, and then add different colors to my inventory down the road.<br /> BTW. I plan on using black aluminum frames.</p>

<p>I don't double mat very often but when I do, I use about 3/8 inch overlay. If I was going to double mat a B&W print, I would probably use black and white matboard. However, I probably wouldn't double mat. I would probably use black matboard with a white bevel or white with a black bevel.</p>

<p>I agree that the same color works best. I like a slightly off white. On larger prints a double 8 layer (double thickness) mat works well. I usually do a 1/4 for smaller prints, 3/8 for larger prints. I find, though, that limiting yourself to one type of mat is, well, limiting.</p>

<p>It's impossible to answer. First there is no "right" choice, imho. Different combos give different feels. It also depends on the picture content and the frame. I know you've mentioned the frame for this app., but that might vary.</p>

<p>Something I do a bit is create a coloured frame around the picture when printing, and then single matt and reveal the coloured frame.</p>

<p>If you want one color for B&W and Color then a white mat with black frame is the safest. You can go with single white, double white, or less common alternative is an 8-ply white mat. The mats should have white cores. If you are going to do more custom framing then you can start considering white and black mats, and black cores. Having a different color core color is like a small double mat so in general you are likely to create problems combining them. The bottom mat, or a different color core can be used to provide a frame within a frame with B&W or it can be used to highlight a more subtle color in the print to help it pop more. In the case of a B&W print the following picture is an example of black mat with a white core being used on a low key B&W.<br>

<a href="http://www.framedestination.com/graphics/metal_picture_frame_1s.jpg">pic of black mat with white core</a><br>

You can use a white mat with black core for the same effect on a hi-key print shown in the pic:<br>

<a href="http://www.framedestination.com/graphics/wood_picture_frame_1s.jpg">pic of white mat with black core</a><br>

You can also use a double mat to achieve the same effect. As you can imagine techniques like this are very specific to the print. If you are doing this for resell then it is recommended to just keep it simple so that your framing tastes do not turn off your customer and if you are using the same mats for everything you can get volume discounts. If you are doing it for display then you will also need to consider the frame and décor of the room where the frame will be displayed.</p>