Don't expect miracles from the new Safox X AF in the K-30

michael_kuhne

<p>I compared the results from Pop Photo's test of the K-5 to that of the new K-30 in the September 2012 issue. Their machine measures AF speed down to 0.01 seconds. The K-5's AF speed, with Safox IX, actually came out slightly faster by about 0.05 sec, than that of the K-30 in normal to bright lighting. In dim lighting, the K-5's AF was faster by around 0.5 sec!!</p>

<p>Safox X in the updated K-5II, however, might be a different story. But indications seem to be- no big shakes with Safox X, maybe a slight improvement in the K-5II, if any.</p>

<p>On the subject of <em>what to expect</em>... Still waiting for <strong>dpreview</strong>'s full review with conclusion. First preview was published in May. Then some updates (with images) but nothing definitive. They seem to have their hands full with the onslaught of recently released DSLRs. Still, it's getting to be rather <em>long in the tooth</em>... Same goes for announced Pentax lenses. </p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
<p>Finally..! Today <strong><em>dpreview</em></strong> came through with the<em> overdue</em> <strong>K-30 review</strong>. Silver Award with an overall score of a very good <strong>78%</strong>. That's a notch higher than for Canon's Rebel T4i, amongst others. Raw image quality almost as good as with the K-5. Metering & focus accuracy somewhat below. Not so good for those who shoot video... Go see for yourself.</p>

<p>I have seen complaints regarding AF accuracy under artificial lighting, particularly with the K-r. I've not seen as much of that with the K-5. The various lab tests, on the contrary, have indicated good accuracy. I own both models, and have enjoyed good AF accuracy under these circumstances with my copies of both cameras.</p>

<p>Whether the K-30 will perform with more consistent accuracy under artificial lighting than the K-5 remains to be seen. Lab tests so far do not seem to indicate that it will.</p>

<p><a href="http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41558227">http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41558227</a><br>

I would hope the issues have been resolved. The K-30 is quite a solid camera at that price point with sealing and a decent VF. But sadly we know that models like the D5200 will sell loads, despite lacking some very basic things (esp flash wise)</p>