and asked which brother he was, and it was in fact Peter. I talked

with him for several minutes, expecting for him to be rushed or

snobbish, but he was a very nice guy. We talked about his book, and

because I own it, we could talk about specific photos in it. He was

genuinely happy to talk, and I could feel some appreciation for my

positive feedback on his book. We even talked about Robert Frank and

his book being the inspiration. He was loaded with all of the latest

digital gear, and then looking at me said, ?Oh, a traditionalist,

huh?? He talked about my lenses, and my Leica for a bit.

After some time, I asked if I could take a photo of him, to which he

replied yes. I grabbed my Nikon, zoomed, framed, focused and?

nothing. No shutter, no motor, nothing. It was just me standing in

front of this photojournalist looking stupid. I dropped the Nikon,

grabbed the Leica and moved in, but so did the crowds, so he was

being approached by several of the other PJs in the crowd. I took

one crappy snap and thanked him.

Oh, the Nikon? A simple dial on the back of the motor drive had got

moved off of an unlimited setting to a sequence setting at some

random number, and the motor stops when the sequence is reached.

Just my luck, it picked that frame I was going to shoot Turnley with

to be at the end of the sequence. This had never happen in over

twenty years, so I never figured to look at that when I was standing

there looking stupid.<div>00BWKG-22382684.JPG.f8a93413e58c48f7c6927e107f1402cf.JPG</div>

I had a similar experience with the Contax G2... I couldn't take a shot because somehow I was somehow in the multiple exposure function. Luckily, my subject was stationary, so I managed to get the shot in the end. But if it was not, then I would have lost the shot. The things that happen when you let the camera think for you...

Bad luck!

When I had my D60 for the first week I accidently set it to timed exposure and had to ask a colleague for help :-)

Same day I set it to AI-Servo AF and wondered why the AF helplight from the flash didn't work.

Yes, the D60 doesn't focus in total darkness without help :-)

Again I had my colleague to help me operate my camera.

The following weekend I studied the manual!

But I have to agree, the less buttons and settings the less chance for error.

On the other hand, I once shot my GF windsurfing and after 40 shots it was clear that I had no film in my RTS!

"the reason your subject is a famous professional and you are not. he knows his equipment"

That's pretty arrogant coming from someone whose been on this Forum for all of one day and doesn't know Albert from Adam. Would you be shocked to know that even famous professionals have made mistakes at one time or another during their careers?

Brandt. I don't know what your problem is. Those three pictures are in focus, but something about you is not. I am a hobbyist not a professional photographer, as are many contributors to this forum. Did you come on this forum just to bash Leica users? people you don't know anything about?

Well, if you do plan to join the ranks of the Leica bashers, you will need to develop your technique better. Check out some of the A-list of Leica bashers, like El Fang, Doris Chan, Chuck Mercier, ].Z., Scott Eaton, to mention a few. You might as well learn from the best.

<i>"the reason your subject is a famous professional and you are not. he knows his equipment."</i>

<p>Even the best people who know their equipment inside out can still get a setting knocked off by accident. Pro or not, he had the presence of mind to immediately switch to his other camera and get his shot. So STFU.

"....he was being approached by several of the other PJs in the crowd. I took one crappy snap and thanked him."

Albert, you made one there in that sentence. You actually posted TWO photos and not one. They were not 'crappy' as you described. They are both sharp and contrasty (looked like you were having to work in harsh light) but they retain enough shadow detail under the hats brim to see the guys specs and ears to complete his expression.

These look like two competent journalist shots one static and a little posed, and the other moving with more environment and a pre-occupied intent evident in his walk. Both are composed with subject to left of frame with an instinct toward a "journalist's" composition that allows room for copy (text) around the subject.

I like the first one best. Good job under unexpected pressure.

I had harsh light and an unexpected subject doing photos of a guy jumping that I was only aware he was about to do in a few seconds time. Luckily I was walking towards the London Eye in 'tourist mode' with my Bessa/Summicron loaded with 400BW and I stopped for a few moments and go 3 off during two jumps.

Bright white sky, bright white buildings etc and man with darkish complexion. I had no chance to compensate and left it entirely to the TTL metering AE mode on the R3A.....<div>00BWdZ-22390284.jpg.78837d2258fddb355c223c43726222ec.jpg</div>