Does anyone have a picture or know what the inside of an F3x

Ballistic looks like? Is it the same as the F3x with the attached

big loops inside for lenses? Or is it more like the J3 with velcro

inserts? Even though I am in Los Angeles, can't seem to find an F3xb

anywhere.

Any opinion b/w the J3 and the F3xb?

Thanks!

aaron

It is the same as the F3x, a big loop on each side of the interior compartment.

I got mine because of concerns over cotton dust from an old dark brown F3x, which I love. My D70 kit, 70-300mm ED, flash cards, Coolwalker, Polarizers, 6T close-up, SB-800 kit, SC-29 remote, D70 and SB-800 manuals, Sekonic L-448, and Ziploc accessories kit(batteries, blower, brush, towelettes, etc) are in the F3Xb now.

An F3x picture is at http://www.cambags.com/nikon/d70/shoulder/domke_f3x_desc.htm. Should look the same.

I have the J3 and the F3xb, part of my D70 buy-a-rama. The J3 offers more protection, not as form-fitting. The J3 side pockets have inserts, much more protection than the F3xb. J3 central compartment is bigger. J3 will hold more and would be better where equipment needs additional protection(cannot avoid the bumps). I use the F3xb mostly. Wraps better, lighter, very fast in operation, and bump protection is from me packing it right and paying attention to where I am going.

BIG TIP: I always keep a padded compartment divider in the rear outside pocket. Great protection for me. A super comfort factor.

Size and weight is so relative. I used to think my Lowepro Magnum with F3, 4 or 5 lenses, etc. was beyond human endurance. Then came the years of taking a Mac SE to work and back daily. Then a big desktop replacement laptop and work files. My camera stuff seems more manageable, even though I am older and weaker. Go figure.

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. Yes, I have a F3x already and love it. Like an old pair of jeans. But the dust is getting a little crazy and I recently got a 70-200IS and 24-70 f2.8. They JUST barely fit in the loops so it is hard to get them in and out. The pictures answered my question as it looks like theys till use the canvas loops on the inside... that is what is keeping them from coming out easily.

I sadly think I have to get rid of my F3x for a J3. The little bigger size might be just what I need.

Thanks for the help and that cool website.

aaron

Here is another possibility for you, Aaron. Get the ballistic F-3x and forget about or cut off those loops. Use a lens wrap or thin lens bag. Just something to separate a lens from a camera in that compartment. It could even be thin sheet foam, the kind of item used to separate dinner plates when packing. This what I plan to do for my next lens, if needed. It works and it's fast, The Domke Way.

Bill