Domke F2 Users - 2 Bodies with lens attached?

alex_medeiros

Hello -

I am looking for a reasonably sized bag that will accomodate an EOS

1V with 17-40 attached, Mamiya 7II with 65mm attached, flash, 2 EOS

primes (50&100) and maybe a 70-200 2.8IS along with assorted

filters. I have a Lowepro 300 S&F Reporter that I love for a

smaller amount of gear and a Lowepro Photo-Trekker backpack that

will easily accomodate both but I am looking for a shoulder bag that

will accomodate both bodies for traveling. I will typically shoot

B&W with the Mamiya and neg or slide with the Canon. None of the

stores in my area carry Domke products for me to try out. Will this

work in an F2 or is there another shoulder bag that might make sense

for this? Thanks for your help!

I don't think the F2 will hold all that you want. It's for sure too short to hold the 70-200 (f2.8) vertically.

You *might* be able to put the rest of your stuff in it, if you only use a two lens insert in the bag and put the cameras on either side of it. I say that being unsure how large the Mamiya with the 65 on it is.

Another potential probelm you might have with the F2, depends on the primes you intend to carry. The Domke lens inserts are of a fixed size. A 135/2L with hood will *just* barely fit into one. Two lenses of that size probably wouldn't fit next to each other in a two lens insert. Im guessing that an 85/1.2L would be right out of the question.

/r

I ahve an F-4 and two Nikon F-4s. I find that I can travel with both camera as long as lenses are detached, but it's hard to have more than one lens on at a time when in shooting mode, unless I sort of set one camera on top facing down.

Greta bag though.

I love "best bag" questions!

Parsing your question, you need something big enough for your gear, and easy to carry for travel. Have a look at the LowePro Mini Trekker, Computrekker, or the new Computrekker Plus. If you don't carry a laptop, the compartment adds extra padding for your back, and is useful to carry a Color Checker, maps, notebook, etc.

As a backpack, it's easy to carry by one strap or two, particularly good on public transportation. It holds nearly as much as a Lowe Magnum, but much easier on the back to carry. It's also small enough to take off and put on easily. Unlike the Photo Trekker, the cover holds its shape well, so is much easier to zip. I use one for two pro SLR's, three big zooms and a flash. It proves very convenient for events and news work, as well as on the trail.

Thanks for your responses. I will look into some of the alternatives. I might also try making/modifying my own bag. It is important that I be able to access both bodies with lens attached. The Tenba messenger bags look promising. I already have six bags - 2 Lowe-Pro backpacks, Nova 2, S&F 300 Reporter and Pro-Mag 2 AW and Bob Krist Travel Bag. I might be able to alter what I have. I am hoping to avoid carrying two bags which I have done in the past. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera store nearby which carries Domke or Tenba products or otherwise I would just take the gear down and try it out.

Thanks again!

I do love the 300 S&F and am considering the larger versions. I'm thinking I need a longer shallower bag to do what I need. I want to be able to quickly access both cameras with lenses attached. If I had to I would consider keeping the 1v without lens attached. The Tenba messenger bags and the larger Domke bags sound good. I am several hours from a large enough camera store that might carry a good assortment to try. I feel it is a little unethical to order two bags over the internet (B&H) with the intent of sending one back.

Thanks again!