Domke F-803 and F-802 Bags

wmwhee

Do the main compartments in these bags truly measure 4 inches deep (front back

to front), as described by the manufacturer? (I recall seeing one in the past

that appeared smaller than 4 inches, and I would require at least 3.5 inches)

No store in town carries these bags, so I cannot check for myself.

I would like to use this bag as a travel day bag for a small slr camera with

attached lens, perhaps a second lens, a small water bottle, a small collapsible

umbrella, and book. Does one model seem better suited for this purpose than

the other? Is it fairly easy to access the camera on the move? Does the F-802

model feature velcro strips for attaching inserts and/or partitions in the main

compartment? Thanks. Bill

I've owned both. They're very good bags, but I now use Timbuk2 messengers bags as the are made of coated nylon.

I used the F-803 to carry a 35mm rangefinder camera, 3 lenses, shades, film, and various accessories. It's a fairly small bag, but it is nice. The main comaprtment has a single rectangular inset that attaches with velcro, so you can customize it a bit. The dimensions of the insert are, however, fixed, so you cn only adjust the other one or two compartment created with it.

TheF-802 is a lot bigger than the F-803. I've used it to carry a Mamiya 645 body, several lenses, and flash. It does not come with an insert or with velcro attachment points. It really is more like a canvas briefcase. And. like all Domke bags, has very little paddding (but enough padding).

Of the two bags, I would think that the F-802 is best for your purpose. You could easily fit in your camera gear, an umbrella, a water bottle, a shaving kit, and a change of clothes.

I ended up selling both of my Domke bags because I wanted something that wouldn't sop up water in the rain. BUt I must admit that they are very nice bags.

See the following link for a lot of discussion about the F-803:

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38140&highlight=domke+803

While I enjoyed reading the thread, the contributors seemed primarily interested in the camera-holding capability of the bag. I was curious about how the bag would serve as a camera plus--what?--travel accessories bag--say, for a day out on the street in a foreign city.

On an upcoming trip I may take only a small slr camera and one lens, as far as camera equipment goes. So, I'd want to carry the camera and lens. But I would also want to carry a small bottle of water, an umbrella, a cap, a travel guide, maps. I might even want to stash a light jacket or sweater. Would the F-802 or F-803 bag serve my needs?

Your own response was helpful to me. I think you are correct in saying that the 802, its size, would better serve my needs than the 803. Thanks again.

Bill