Domke F-6 vs F-2?

alexdi

I've been doing a little research on camera bags, because I hate my Tamrac mini-

backpack. It's inflexible, festooned with straps, overpadded, uncomfortable,

obvious, and impossible to use without taking it off and putting it down on

something.

I'm not sure why I bought it.

Anyway, I'm looking into these two Domke bags, which appear to be everything

the Tamrac is not. I also considered the F803, but it doesn't seem to be quite

as good of a 'working' bag because of the vertical packing arrangement.

My kit will (eventually) look like this:

Canon 30D

Canon 70-200/4 IS

Canon 50/1.4

Tokina 16-50/2.8

Canon 430EX

Kenko 1.4X TC

So, a prosumer body, one 7" lens, one midsize, one small, and a couple of

miscellaneous accessories. There's a slim chance I might pick up an ultra-wide

zoom for a total of four, but not anytime soon.

The main question is whether the 70-200/4 will fit vertically in the F-6. I

don't mind if it protrudes slightly above the top, so long as it isn't an

obviously tight fit or prevents the cover from closing.

The second question is if, generally, the F-6 is the right bag for this level

of equipment or if I have to move up to the F-2. I'm also open to other similar

options from other makes.

Which bag would you recommend?

EF70-200/4L IS will fit the F-6 if w/o the hood. The max height of the insert is about 16cm, but Domke bags are quite flexible so they can handle taller lenses. F-803 would be too small for what you have. The only concern is that F-6/803 have 1.5" wide shoulder strap while F-2 has 2" strap. The 2" strap can spread the weight better, especially with an extra should pad.

Have you looked at the Domke F4F? I find this the perfect bag for light duty (I think I've bought five of them over the years between work/home/theft replacement).

It's got the big 'padded cube' that swallows something like an SLR w/ 16-50 attached very nicely. You would need to add something like a domke 'wrap' to stack your 50mm and 1.4x one atop the other in one of the lens slots, then your flash goes in an outer pocket (you can probably use the flash's padded pouch if you feel you need it).

I may replace the strap on whatever I buy. A bag isn't something I'd resell, it's no big deal to cut off the existing one. Same idea with replacing the existing metal hooks with mini-carabiners. Someone else's idea, seems worthwhile.

The F4F looks like a great bag, but the pictures on Cambags make it appear a little bigger than I'm shooting for. I initially wanted a laptop-style satchel so the bag wouldn't stick out a foot off my hip. That wasn't practical, so the F-6 and F-3X seem like compromises in width.

Is there some place in GA that sells Domke bags? I'm thinking the larger Wolf Cameras might, but I'm not sure where else to look.

The F2 is big, especially with the floorboard installed. It used to be my 'loaded for bear' bag, with the F4AF my 'work from the hip' bag. I replaced a stolen F2 with the F7, but the F4AF remains my favorite light bag.

The review you cited has the guy cramming an enormous amount of stuff in his F4AF. You can do that if you wish, but it's more at home as 'slr and normal zoom' in big pocket, long zoom in lens pocket, couple small things stacked in other lens pocket. I use it precisely because it doesn't stick way out off my hip, but tucks in nicely when moving down a transportation aisle or the like. It's pretty conformal, especially if it's not loaded up with a ton of stuff.

Whenever I don't carry a ton of gear (which is most of the time these days) I mostly use the F2. I have the F4AF and a smaller Domke bag,

the F3(?) but I don't use these often; the smaller bag sometimes and

the larger F4AF sits in the closet with other camera bag mates.

I put the 80-200/2.8 Nikkor or the 300/4 into the bag.

There is a bulge to be sure but it's not outsized, not annoying, and,

not risky apparently.

I dislike the F4AF for the very reason that others like it. I find

it too big & bulky (for my needs). For me it's too wide and too deep.

There are other bags I do use and nearly all of them made from canvas.

What Todd Peach said is right on the money: canvas hugs your body

better than nylon (or whatever) and is therefore easier on [my]

shoulder and hip. It leans against me and does not cantilever out

as some other bags do.

This bag (as all shoulder bags do IMO) works best when not overloaded.

The gear you describe will go comfortably and quietly into the F2.

The F2 has enormous capacity.

All of this being said, I would recommend you take a peek at

all the bags mentioned. The F2 works well for me but you'd have to

see how well it might suit you.

I have a 10 years old navy blue canvas F4AF and a two years young J3. To my surprise, the modern nylon material J3 is actually a bit larger than the F4AF. You may want to look up a J3 as it can also fit a 70-200 f2.8 with the hood reversely-mounted. Well, the rear lens cap does stick up an inch or less above the compartment, but the generous flap covers it all.

Just another observation.

With Aloha,

Clarence

I just got the Domke j-2. I looked at all of the other Domke's but none of them really caught my fancy.

You can get another pad and stick your camera with lens on the side, and then flash and extra lenses in the divider. Then you have lots of extra space for everything else in the front pockets and side pockets. The nylon is/can be waterproofed and covers the bag quite well.

It always seems to be better to have a little extra space for those times you want a water bottle, snack, more camera gear acquired. etc.

good luck...finding a bag is almost impossible.

Hi,

David, I actually have and use a Domke F-6 bag. I bought it because I like simple, strong and good quality bags. I dislike bags with lots of straps, that take an age to open and get kit out of. The F-6 has been great. It can easily carry one or even two SLR's with lenses & acessories.

I carry one SLR with 4 lenses. To test your 7" lens theory, I put a Nikon hard lens case in my F-6 vertically. The case was exactly 7" tall and the F-6 closed VERY easily with lots to spare. I should say that a 7.5" or even an 8" lens would fit vertically. Incidentally I bought an extra inside padded divider for the end to protect the camera better.

I have been VERY pleased indeed with the F-6. To be honest, for the level of gear you mention, the F-6 is perfect and you should find you have some space left.

cheers Steve.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the notes. I ended up with the F-6. While it does fit the 70-200/4, the bag is smaller than I expected. It's provided me an impetus to slim my kit even further, though, and I very much like it.

David