Domke F-3X or F-6?

johnnystiletto

I can't decide on which Domke bag to purchase - unfortunately, no

shops here carry them, so I will probably have to order them online.

I have an AE-1 with a 199a Speedlite and the following canon fd

lenses:

50/3.5 macro

50/1.8

135/3.5

28/2.8

70-210/4 zoom

I won't be carrying all of these lenses all the time (I usually

carry 3-4 lenses at a time), but i might have to when i travel I am

looking at the F-3X and the F-6 (looking a little more at the F-3X),

but I'm having a hard time choosing. Also, a big bag is out of the

question since I'm about 4'11 and 100 lbs (the weight isn't a

factor, just the bag bulkiness). Any recommendations on the Domke

bags or suggestions for other small bags to hold all this gear?

Thanks!! -Julia

Julia,

I carry an Nikon F-4s plus 20, 28, 85 and 180 and speedlight -- and sometimes another body, though that's tight. I use the Domke F-2 -- the classic. Bought it in 1982, but they're sitll making them. Just replaced the strap for a wopping $5.99 from B&H. Great bag. You can throw it in the washing machine and it looks like new. Well, mine is no longer going to look like new, but anyway.... I'm sure his other bags are great too. Good luck!

James: I took a look at the F-2 and then thought it *might* be too much bag (I know, I know, ALWAYS get a bigger bag than you think!); I'm sure it would hold all of my gear with no problem. I'm just curious how large it is - I'm fairly petite, so some bags are HUGE for me (like my old Tamrac 5606). Thanks for the insight, though!!

Julia

I have and use both.

The F3x has a center compartment that takes a body with a motor and lens up to about 100mm attached, with a couple tubes at the side that can stack two short lenses or one long one. There's also a front pocket that I use for the meter and filters, plus side pockets that take a dozen rolls of film each, or a moderate-size flash unit or another lens.

My F6 takes a body with motor at either end, with a four-divider insert that can take a 180-200mm lens standing up or a couple shorter lenses stacked. No end pockets, but a slightly longer front zippered pocket.

The F6 is slightly bigger but probably a little easier to organize.

If you want to walk around with the AE1 over your shoulder, extra film and a couple lenses, the F3x is plenty.

I have the Domke F-3X. I can put my 17-35 in one compartment, my 28-70 in the other and use the center for my camera body with my 50mm attached. Then I put my flash unit and cord in the front pocket. A cleaning kit inside the flap pocket. And my filters/batteries go in the side pocket. There's also a back pocket where I can stick a narrow notepad. More can be added if you want to stuff it, but that's already more than I want to carry around. I ended up getting a waist pack that I'm much more comfortable using.

I have a Domke F-3X and an F-2. The F2 holds a hefty Nikon system and I have a Leica M system in the F-3X. I junked the internals that came with the F-3X and replaced them with a padded Domke compartment insert like the one in the F-2 ($16.00). Can hold 2 bodies and five lenses, light meter, table tripod with ballhead and there's enough room for the Leica flash, which is small. I think you'll be OK with the F-3X.<br><br>

The bags are very durable and well made but I heard the company that owns Domke (Tiffen) has gone bankrupt. Also consider the Domke clone <a href="http://www.safrotto.com/bag_cf.htm">Safrotto bags</a> sold on eBay. Search on the term "Domke bag".