Dolce & Gabbana Photography

ben__evans

Hi,

I'm in absolute awe of the Dolce and Gabbana photography that can be found about

a quarter of the way down this chap's page;

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=154331040

I think part of this awe arises from not being able to work out how it's been

done. Can it be the big cool windowlight behind, rim lights with beauty dishes

and a toned-down ringflash? And does anybody know where I can find more of their

photos with a bit of peace?

Oh, and note the bare bulbs in a couple of the photos - the photographer has

amazing control over his lighting!

But how much photoshop work has been done as well I wonder?

Yeah its a strange one to decipher. It may be very simple, possibly a window to the left of

picture, another sky light above the models, contrast and color tweaked in curves. Or maybe

the background was dropped in, there is very little flare in the hair - I would expect some

from the window..

If anyone ever wondered why MySpace has such a wretched reputation for unusuable, hideous pages full of junk, all they need to do is visit that link. Not only is it a nightmare to navigate, it's a giant flashing monument to copyright infringement.

The images you refer to appear to have made use of very large light sources - maybe even continuous, to balance with that daylight source. I'll let the lighting deconstructors get into the details, though, if they can actually stand the task of getting to those images (be brave, folks, it's not for the faint of heart or narrow of bandwidth). I'll venture that the window daylight and some continuous fill might make for an exposure that would allow that incandescant bulb to be an honest part of the exposure. Not that it would be hard to use some HDR techniques to graft that in there if need be.

Yes, isn't it ghastly! It took me a while to find out how to turn the music off (near the top left in a little box). I'd point you towards the D&G site where you can download the photos full-size as desktops, but that's similarly busy; lots of flash animation. Somebody ought to archive all of the ads and offer links to the homepages for the advertisers. Matt, why do you say continuous fill over a softboxed flash?