I have been hoping to have the opportunity to cover the West coast tour of

2 bands I consider to be a worthy subject for a magazine feature. I have done

journalistic/travel photography on the side for pleasure and business, but have

never attempted something as complex as this. My question is, do I query the

magazines first and then contact the press/media relations/label people of the

respective bands, using the magazine interest as fuel to my cause, or will the

magazines not even bat an eye unless you have a confirmation from one/both

bands involved. Just want to know in what order I should approach this. This

is a timely issue and any help in this matter would be most appreciative.

Sean

I would also think about a story and interviews to go along with the photos. To a

publication that is more powerful of an offer than just images. Also make sure all images

have a caption.

The I would call the magazines with photo proposal and be ready to send them a follow

up email. You will do better contact them before you start shooting.

Ralph makes a good point. Without an article, it's likely to be meaningless. And without a really good article, well-written and with a good angle, it's not going to get published. You're going to need some sample writing (unless you're working with a writer known to the publications) and some photographs that show you can do what you want to do.

usually, it helps to have either the magazine contact or a band/label/management contact. going in 'blind' makes it much more difficult.

networking skills are as important as photo skills in establishing oneself in the entertainment industry.

in your case, it might depend on how well-known the bands are and how many people (manager, road manager, label rep, publicist) you have to go through to get to them. if you're talking about a major-label act, chances are the magazine you have in mind will already have that covered if it's a big glossy national publication.

some magazines have live shot sections where they put concert images, which is a lot less exposure (and less risky, on their part) than a full blown feature article (a major commitment on their part and something they usually hand out to proven music shooters). you'd still need a good looking portfolio or website to break into one of these sections, though.

one way into the music photo biz is to shoot for up-and-coming artists and/or music websites for little or no money to build your portfolio up. magazines respond much more positively if you've already published work than they do if you have nothing to show them.

it does help if you can write too; that way you can pitch the article as a complete photos-and-text article, or at least a photo essay. although i'm primarily a writer, i've been taking photos for years and have been doing more PJ work as well lately.

remember, in journalism, access is everything. this is especially true in music journalism.

last year, for instance,i did a story for vibe magazine. although i wasnt shooting for vibe, i took my camera along to the shoot and was able to use the pics later for a different publication -- the ny daily news. when the news called and asked if i had any pics of this trend they were covering, i was able to say yes. the pics weren't great, but they were good enough for publication. and the check arrived in like three days! not only that, but, i was later able to use a few of the same pics a couple months later for a completely different publication after i got a profile assignment and pitched them on a photo essay while i was at it! (in the bay area, we call that using the 'hustle muscle')

it's harder when you're just starting out, but above all, don't get discouraged; you might just have to do more groundwork and revise your expectations. i believe it was Big Willie Shakespeare who said, where there's a will, there's a way"