Does the tree make a sound?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by davidrosen, Jun 18, 2019.

1. @Does the tree make a sound?"

Only for those that have two ears that can listen, and two eyes that can see.

The one mouth is usually what rules.

2. I’m never gonna shoot a masterpiece so I needn’t worry :)

Actually, by viewing photography as an art form rather than documentary tool and by being comfortable with my own ability, I believe my approach makes the most sense. I keep photos that I like RIGHT NOW, the older photos that I have kept occasionally make me wince. Not sure why I keep them if truth be told.

3. Good points. And masterpieces can be overrated anyway ...

When I made the (somewhat) tongue-in-cheek comment about liking photos I don’t like, I wasn’t thinking of older photos re-emerging. That just became a bit of a fun tangent, which does have use for me.

What I was really talking about were the cases for me where taste follows photo rather than the other way ‘round. My own and others.

There are times I really don’t like a photo but it has a kind of depth or what I’ll call a dissonant resonance that makes me keep looking, keep trying. Not so much like the proverbial train wreck you can’t turn away from but more like that awkward and outcast high school kid no one likes who just fascinates you for some reason. I call those my taste-changers and they’ve been really important to me over the years.

Allen Herbert likes this.
  4. I’ve seen photos by famous photographers that do not speak to me at all. My closest critic is quick to say what she likes and doesn’t like. Then I’ll “explain” why the photo “speaks” to me.

5. Me, too. Then again, I've also seen photos by famous photographers that I wasn't listening to or didn't have ears yet good enough to hear.

Got it.

Though, sometimes, it's when I'm at a complete loss for explanation that I become the most impassioned about something.

I might or might not be able to explain why a photo is speaking to me but it's usually much harder to explain why one is yelling at me. At that point, I might just have to gesticulate wildly and not say a word! Or go out and make a picture I don't understand.

6. Does the tree make a sound? Sometimes, the right tree says, "Hey! Over here!", and I pull over and take the shot...

Peeples Valley Tree 2  9-19-14 C5D HDR2bw2.jpg Peeples Valley Tree 2  9-19-14 C5D HDR2bw2.jpg

Allen Herbert and davidrosen like this.
  7. Sometimes the sound even echoes ... echoes! :)

8. Ok, let me get us back to the original intention of this post, described a little differently. If you make a print of your photo but nobody sees it, does it Inspire, affect, thrill, touch?

9. Yes. when it's me alone, which it usually is at first, I am inspired, affected, thrilled, and touched by my prints. I like to share my prints as well, and that achieves a different sort or different degree of inspiration, effect, thrill, and touch.

[There are a small number of viewers I encourage to touch me back. ;)]

davidrosen likes this.
  10. I think one can be quite happy with one's own work, but it isn't nearly as satisfying as having others (or at least one other) enjoy it (which is why sites like flickr are so popular).

davidrosen likes this.
  11. Does the tree make a sound?

If you listen carefully.

"but it isn't nearly as satisfying as having others (or at least one other) enjoy it (which is why sites like flickr are so popular.

some truth in that thought, but some truth.

Not all of the greats walked that path despite not having flicker.

12. Even a humble tree has a story to tell for the seeing eye.

What story does this tree have to tell?

13. Ludmilla said:
    I’m never gonna shoot a masterpiece so I needn’t worry :)

Perhaps you Ludmilla one day....Never under estimate yourself as a purveyor of Art.

Respect you photography and your Art.

14. Did I write that?

Sort of have a feeling I was gifted from above.

16. They all talk.

They talk a lot.

I think they like talking.

Sometimes I wonder what they are talking about- Joe nobody.

17. It's not just the trees:

The creek roars, the trees whisper, the wind sings
    Boulders think their long thoughts
    And offer silence

18. In 47 years of marriage, my wife has probably asked me at least 5000 times why I took "that picture". The answer is and has always been that I like it, although the reasons may differ greatly from image to image. I still have hundreds of negatives from my high school and college days, and I've enjoyed digitizing and playing with them to make even better interpretations of the original message - whatever it may have been. No one has seen the vast majority of the pictures I've taken except me, and that's fine because they were only talking to me.

When asked, I've exhibited many times in local and regional venues - I even won "Philly Photo Night" (a juried exhibit that used to be run regularly by the Philadelphia Photo Society) some 15 years ago. But as good as I feel when others clearly like what I've done, I bet that I get more pleasure from favorite pics I've taken & printed than most other viewers because the meaning to me is clear and ever-present.

One negative from about 1966 (that I haven't been able to find since we downsized) is particularly pertinent to this thread's stated topic. I was walking down a side street in center city Philadelphia with my Leica IIIc. We still have a fair number of trees along our sidewalks, but back then there were many more and they were well maintained. On one block, each sapling had wire supports running from stakes in the ground to hold it straight. But one little tree was standing tall and straight, while the stakes supposed to be anchoring it were loose and falling over - the tree was supporting the stakes, which I thought was a profound statement. I took several shots of it with my beloved Tri-X, and printed a few images from different angles before choosing the one I liked best and hanging it on the wall wherever I've since lived. Not one person has ever understood that picture's message and irony. No one has used it as a springboard for philosophical thought. I don't care because I love it!

Gerald Cafferty likes this.
  19. If a man is alone in a forest, is he still wrong?