Does the tree make a sound?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so when I told my wife about this posting she did not get it. I told that's the story of my life; most people don't. What I really wanted to discuss is whether you think it is worthwhile to take photos if nobody else sees them? That is not to say we should derive pleasure from our own work. But, is that the end game? Are we not looking for some validation from other people? And for some, in the form of monetary compensation?

Since this is a Philosophy forum ......

David, SCL is right, to put it more esoterically, are you a Photographer or not? Is this something you do because you have to ... or something done for attention?

I do a lot that never sees the light of day, I don't even show them to my wife. I do it because I feel the need to. I like what I make & it makes me happy. That is the only validation that matters. Anything on top of that (attention, money, pats on the back) is nice, but not necessary.

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” —Ansel Adams

“The picture is not made by the photographer, the picture is more good or less good in function of the relationship that you have with the people you photograph.” ― Sebastião Salgado

One of the more beautiful sounds in the world is the sound of conversation.

• Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” —Ansel Adams

So, although the photographer can view his or her photos, Adams distinguished between photographer and viewer. I contend it is not enough for the photographer to be the only viewer.

To quote Ray Davies :

'People take pictures of each other,

To prove that they once have existed'.

My photos are an attempt to remind me of how I felt on each occasion - and sometimes something of that feeling is transmitted to others.

BTW, it is not the tree that makes the sound - the noise is made when it hits the ground.

• Like 1

Is that the choices? More than or just mere vacation or family event snapshots? I like to share photos, even event and travel snaps. If I'm shooting for my personal work, than It has to first be something that means something to me. If other's like or don't like it, doesn't matter nearly as much as whether I do. Saying that, I do enjoy it when people like my photographs, but its not the main criteria.

My photos are an attempt to remind me of how I felt on each occasion

My favorites are the ones that sneak up on me and make me feel a little strange and unfamiliar.

I contend it is not enough for the photographer to be the only viewer.

To each her own. Might be enough for me but I’m also a glutton - always want more.

If other's like or don't like it, doesn't matter nearly as much as whether I do.

Some of the photos I like most are the ones I don’t like.

Edited by Sandy Vongries

"You talkin' to me?"

My favorites are the ones that sneak up on me and make me feel a little strange and unfamiliar.

To each her own. Might be enough for me but I’m also a glutton - always want more.

Some of the photos I like most are the ones I don’t like.

There is some truth to that statement. There are bad photos I just cannot bring myself to delete. I guess they "speak" to me in some way. Is not that a sound?

I’m never gonna shoot a masterpiece so I needn’t worry :)

Actually, by viewing photography as an art form rather than documentary tool and by being comfortable with my own ability, I believe my approach makes the most sense. I keep photos that I like RIGHT NOW, the older photos that I have kept occasionally make me wince. Not sure why I keep them if truth be told.

Good points. And masterpieces can be overrated anyway ...

When I made the (somewhat) tongue-in-cheek comment about liking photos I don’t like, I wasn’t thinking of older photos re-emerging. That just became a bit of a fun tangent, which does have use for me.

What I was really talking about were the cases for me where taste follows photo rather than the other way ‘round. My own and others.

There are times I really don’t like a photo but it has a kind of depth or what I’ll call a dissonant resonance that makes me keep looking, keep trying. Not so much like the proverbial train wreck you can’t turn away from but more like that awkward and outcast high school kid no one likes who just fascinates you for some reason. I call those my taste-changers and they’ve been really important to me over the years.

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Good points. And masterpieces can be overrated anyway ...

When I made the (somewhat) tongue-in-cheek comment about liking photos I don’t like, I wasn’t thinking of older photos re-emerging. That just became a bit of a fun tangent, which does have use for me.

What I was really talking about were the cases for me where taste follows photo rather than the other way ‘round. My own and others.

There are times I really don’t like a photo but it has a kind of depth or what I’ll call a dissonant resonance that makes me keep looking, keep trying. Not so much like the proverbial train wreck you can’t turn away from but more like that awkward and outcast high school kid no one likes who just fascinates you for some reason. I call those my taste-changers and they’ve been really important to me over the years.

I’ve seen photos by famous photographers that do not speak to me at all. My closest critic is quick to say what she likes and doesn’t like. Then I’ll “explain” why the photo “speaks” to me.

I’ve seen photos by famous photographers that do not speak to me at all.

Me, too. Then again, I've also seen photos by famous photographers that I wasn't listening to or didn't have ears yet good enough to hear.

Then I’ll “explain” why the photo “speaks” to me.

Got it.

Though, sometimes, it's when I'm at a complete loss for explanation that I become the most impassioned about something.

I might or might not be able to explain why a photo is speaking to me but it's usually much harder to explain why one is yelling at me. At that point, I might just have to gesticulate wildly and not say a word! Or go out and make a picture I don't understand.

"You talkin' to me?"

Does the tree make a sound? Sometimes, the right tree says, "Hey! Over here!", and I pull over and take the shot...

[ATTACH=full]1300532[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]1300532[/ATTACH]

Sometimes the sound even echoes ... echoes! :)

"You talkin' to me?"