does the D300 offer any in screen grid for framing 8x10

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by adam_keller|1, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Im shooting a D300 and do a fair bit of portrait and wedding photography. Everyone alwasys wants 8x10's which if youre cropping in camera, you kill a lot of your image. Anyone have any idea how to help this (without telling me to change cameras or something)? I was just wondering if there were a plug in or something for the D300 to be able to frame a box in the view finder to indicate where 8x10 might be. I know on older 35mm people would use tape and do it themselves but im not looking to do that.
    Thank you for any suggestions.
    Adam

2. No. I try to shoot a little wide so that I can crop 8X10 or 5X7. Try to explain this to clients. They don't understand the physics. I have expanded the borders on PS for some clients to make it fit the 8X10 or 5X7 porportion. Photography is an illusion any way.
    errol

3. Thanks Errol. There were a few recently that I was able to clone stamp some addl background on the sides but I know I wont be able to do that all the time. What did you mean when you said you expanded the borders in PS? Always looking for better workflow ideas.
    thanks

4. I believe that if you replace your viewscreen with a katseye screen you have the option of adding 8x10 grid lines .

5. I don't have a D300 handy, but what options do you have with the On Demand grid?

6. It looks like if you take the outside of the curves in the D300 viewfinder you can estimate the 8x10 crop. Like the red line I added here:
    [​IMG]

7. Thats awesome, Ill give that a spin. Thank you!

8. I wanted to know that same thing so I just took an 8x10 print taped it on the wall and with my D300 on a tripod framed it to the sides and I found that same thing that Jonas suggested above. The outside curves around the focus points is approximatly an 8x10 cropping. That's what I use for portraits and never have a problem cutting of unwanted features on 8x10's. It would be nice though to have straight lines as a reference but hey it works.