Does micro four thirds just confuse things, more than a little for you?

GerrySiegel

<p>This has been hashed about elsewhere I know but still is a puzzlement. Not a worry, but a wonder of sorts. Well, I concede that the sensor size is the same as in the E-1. BUT almost everything else is different. New lenses, presumably new battery. How will it fit in your Olympus plans for lens purchases. Would one hang a 50 to 200mm on a small body with an adapter which has to go on and off and on and off..? Will you stick with the basic 4/3 and stand pat or will you figure that the new camera will be an asset for using all that Nikon and Contax, etc glass sitting on the shelf? Will you just think of the micro version (coming this year) as a high end point and shoot for travel or carry? Or the rangefinder substitute you have been hoping for?<br>

And do you want to start collecting accessories and lenses for what are two systems from the same manufacturer? ....Now this question assumes that you, like me, have limited budget for camera acquisition and limited space in the old homestead. So, it gets back to whether you think that this is just a curve ball from Panasonic. Or is it the fulfillment of what you always wanted from Olympus from the first (small but sharp)? <br /> I have just snatched a quick look at the G-1 and it is nice indeed, no question. But I find nothing amiss about the old E-1 either and await the E30 with interest,plan see how the price gradually drops,no early adopter here.<br>

I guess we will have to be reactive to what is offered by the so called alliance rather than commited to one or the other. And grant that the planners may know what they are planning and what the market will accept. And what will support the products in the market for your spending cash. Any strong feelings?</p>

<p>Strong feelings? No... But after using the G1 for a while, I doubt that I'll ever buy another 4/3 body or lens, and may well sell some of what I have. The only thing that I could imagine tempting me would be a weatherproof body that weighs less than the E-3. But there's no hurry about anything.</p>

<p>I've been ignoring the four-third system just because I thought it had failed to proove its advantages initially announced. The lenses are virtually no smaller than the equivalents for the APS-C size DSLRs.<br>

<br /> However, I jumped into the micro-four-thirds (M4/3) or Panasonic G1 (from Nikon system), thinking that four-thirds should have started this way. The new M4/3 system is blessed with all the advantages of four-thirds format initially announced! I dare say M4/3 IS THE four-thirds system and the "conventional" four-thirds was a false start.</p>

<p>Doesn't confuse me at all. </p>

<p>The G1 is a superb complement to my E-1 and L1 bodies. I can use the same lenses on all of them. I can also use micro-43 lenses on the G1, and it's a better body to use with adapted manual lenses than either the E-1 or L1 due to the exceptional EVF. I like it because it's a) small and light, b) has superb imaging qualities, c) has excellent controls and viewfinder options, and d) it's darn inexpensive for the resolution and feature set that it provides. </p>

<p>The L1 and E-1 bodies are higher end, likely more durable, and of course provide AF with all those FourThirds lenses that the G1 only supports manual focus, so they're not by any means obsolete. Since my FourThirds SLR kit is just about as complete as I need it to be, and there will most likely be more and better fast, short focal length prime lenses made for the G1's mount, I'll likely be investing more money in lenses specific to the G1 in the near future. </p>

<p>Unless I go buy a Nikon D700 or something like that, just for fun. ;-) LOL ... fat chance! ;-)</p>

<p>Godfrey</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I dare say M4/3 IS THE four-thirds system and the "conventional" four-thirds was a false start.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I agree with that completely, Akira. :)</p>

<p>FWIW, I have >20 usable primes (plus the kit zoom which is in its pouch) for the G1 now. I do use them.<br>

The M4/3 cameras can get a lot smaller and better. But the very first one itself is a blast!</p>

<p>Interesting and somewhat more favorable reaction than I expected, right out of the gate that is. Thanks for your thoughts. This is to me a fascinating change I never would have guessed, you know...stopped me cold when I read it. I am warming to the idea, because I like some of the features of the G-1, swivel finder, improved res EVF and the eye control switch. Am waiting with interest to see how Olympus does up its first version...gs</p>

<p>I certainly like the IDEA of it; I'd like to see what it's like in practice. Ever since DSLRs began I've been dreaming of an interchangeable lens non-SLR camera with a high enough quality electronic viewfinder to take the place of the bulky mirror box and prism system. For me this would seem to be the point at which all the electronic technology actually delivers something that wasn't possible before, and the smaller format justifies itself in the form of more compact gear. But I've always been big on compactness, not everyone is.... most people seem to consider the vast bulk of the likes of a Canon 40D as a benefit. Perhaps you have to be old enough to remember the miracle of the Pen F and the OM-1 to appreciate smallness.....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>FWIW, I have >20 usable primes (plus the kit zoom which is in its pouch) for the G1 now. I do use them.<br /> The M4/3 cameras can get a lot smaller and better. But the very first one itself is a blast!</em> "</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Vivek. How IQ of Leica lenses on G1 compare to Epson RD-1 and Leica M8? As I have no adapter yet, I run some tests on G1 with kit lens agains M8 Lux 35 1.4 ASPH. its almost as good as Leica combo at f5.6 and 8 but at f11 diffraction kicks in and at f16 is much much softer. Rgrds</p>

<p>Dimitri, True, generally there is no need to stop down below f/11. Most primes I use are fast ones.<br /> With the Tegea 9.8mm f/1.8, f/8 is as far down as I go.</p>

<p>Compared to the Epson R-D1s, this G1 is a light years ahead as you focus more precisely and also there is no need to focus/recompose routine as in a RF or Rfelx camera.</p>

<p>If you are going for the M adapter get the RayQual one. Simply the best (and perhaps the cheapest as well).</p>

<p>Unlike the M8/8.2, the G1 has 0% UV response and 0% IR response (RG 780 filter). Fantastic contrast and color fidelity. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>It seems that noone here has a nice word for autofocus. I have to believe we are not representative users. Georgio you make a good point- I suppose I am a little peeved that my 7 nice Canon lenses go little used now. For years I used several systems. Canon and Bronica MF. It was getting to be that I prefered to go out with just the Canon FD (F-1, A-1 and then T90). And later when I bought a Hexar autofocus rangefinder with the Leitz -equivalent 35mm F 2., as much as I liked the snappy features and style, my brain cells took a bit to adjust to three different model systems. ( Sorry,entreaties to return to film are not persuasive)</p>

<p>Multi -tasking vis a vis camera systems is great for the young at heart I to concede... For me, simplicity has taken over... I like my autofocus and I like my zoom lenses. Manual focus is a so so substitute although I tweak my autofocus sometimes, the system makes better decisiions faster)sometimes really slows the project down. And I think Olympus put its chips on fast zoom autofocus speed. I see micro as a way to get the quality and versatility of the Hexar in a smaller package. Not one to set on a tripod, but a street camera. A trip camera. I think Olympus is going to soon come out with something irresistable in the micro format. A kind of Contax G surrogate model with all the trimmings at least on its second intro...I hope same that will hold up in in the base camp at K-2:-)</p>

<p>Except for a few minor quibbles, everyone seems to like their G-1. I've not got too deeply into the regular 4:3 set up yet because of this up and coming technology. Although, I just purchased a new E410 w/14~42 because it was only $362, including local sales tax. Only about $130 more than the lens alone new from B&H. I'm liking the small size of my 410, esp compared to my E300 (until now I've had no digital specific lenses for the E300 and have been using my OM Zuikos via adapter). Like others here I'm a big fan of small cameras and still have 2 Pen F's and several Pen lenses. Only held out on the M4:3 waiting to see how sleek the Olympus offering is and hopeing for a couple of more fast primes. I know there are mixed opinions about Michael Reichmann's reviews on Luminous Landscape, but he liked the G-1 enough to buy one for himself after several years of open skepticism about the usefullness of the whole 4:3 concept. I don't think Olympus will ever repete the sucess of their OM system but this M4:3 will hopefully at least keep them in the camera biz. I'll bet, even in retirement, Y. Maitani is smiling, this has the earmarks of his design thinking.</p>

<p>Sorry Vivek, I didn't know you were his spokesman. If you go to the Olympus site you'll see he has given quite a few interviews to various Japanese photo associations. He also helped John Foster gather information for his Viewfinder Pen book. I never intimated he was involved in the micro four thirds development. However his out of the box thinking is still exactly the kind of originality that Olympus needs to encourage among it's design team.<br>

And Vivek, I have read with great interest your observations and insights on the G-1. They are much appereciated.<br>

with thanks, John Robison</p>

<p>Warning, radical opinionated gent afoot:I would never quarrel with those who found the OM the perfect camera, certainly the longest lived of the manual focus types omitting Leica. And some of its features- I am thinking of its metering off the film plane -was clever- however in all the years I played with a variety of cameras I never saw all that many OMs out in the field. I just didn't. My friend's widow had to practiacally give away his OM 10. It seems to me that it was a player of the same class as Topcon,later Miranda, Konica Auto, Rollei, and perhaps Minolta. I saw a lot more Minolta 102s than OM-1's out there. And lo and behold, Minolta Maxxum was the first to introduce autofocus on a large scale. someone was bold in that company. As for half frame/quasi half frame, Pen and Robot and some others that never really took off,even though it produced a great bargain for film users. However, I like to think that Olympus is a company that can innovate and does follow its own road. How easily they could have gone with another APS-model and they didn't. I guess what I am arguing is simple. Olympus does not need to rest on past laurels. I beleve they are carving out a path with innovative and great lenses. And that to me is their secret weapon. So far they have done very well in that department.<br>

I wasn't seeking an OM size camera,because I like some heft. And recognize that little buttons and wheels need some body real estate. I will likely stick with the big boy series with mirrors and pentaprisms, especially if they are as quiet as the E-1s. I don't make no promises, I hasten to add. It is going to be a wild and crazy transition year. And Panasonic will likely make its mark and come down hard. ( Boy I do love my Pana LCD HD Viera TV-beats out all of the pack including XBR Sony. SD card slot and all...) Cheers, sportsfans. gs</p>

<p>Gerry, shortly after the OM was introduced I started working as a salesman at Altmans in Chicago. Altmans was a huge camera store and we sold OM's like hotcakes. Of course, we sold all the then current popular SLR's like crazy. It was the golden age of precision, metal, mechanical, manual cameras. In 35mm the professionals still purchased mostly Nikon F2's and somewhat fewer Canon F1's with a smattering of Topcon Super D's. Serious hobbyist and other photographers purchases were evenly spread among the remaining Nikkormats, Canon FTb, Minolta SRT's, Olympus OM-1, and Pentax Spot F's. Konica Auto T3's, although an superb camera, trailed in sales behind the others. Altmans was hardly to be belived. He had 6 large drawers filled with ALPA accessories! I know, I had to inventory them one year. Alpa was was oddball stuff even then. A little story. One day a fellow came in with a Leica short mount telefoto LTM lens. I think it was intended to be used on a bellows with a visoflex for the Leica M. He wanted to use it with his Spotmatic. The first salesman he spoke with blew him off with a "Naw, ya can't do that". I grabbed the guy before he got loose and in about 10min had him fixed up with a LTM to M42 adapter, a Pentax focusing extention tube, and, from the junk drawer a couple of manual M42 tubes that brought the focusing to just beyond inifinity at its shortest extention. Yeah, it was a Rube Goldberg contraption, but it was solid and it worked and the guy left happy. When we were not busy I was always pokeing about in the odd drawer to see what crazy adapations I could come up with. It was fun times.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>If you are going for the M adapter get the RayQual one. Simply the best (and perhaps the cheapest as well)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Vivek, thank you for advice. I will be in Japan in next few weeks and will try to find it. I hope mapcamera or lemon camera have stock of adapters. G1 is such great little camera, I hope Leica get wake up call and stop selling 2yr old technology at inflated prices. M8.2 got to be most insane pricing i seen in my adult life. When M8 came out, at least you can argue its state of the art sensor/camera combo, but it was 2yr ago - times change....</p>

<p>Vivek is right. According to the website of Miyamoto factory (Rayqual's manufacturer), the first lot of the Leica-M adaptor is sold out. They say they still have some Canon FD adaptors but the second lot of Leica-M adaptors won't be released until later this month. Also, Miyamoto factory seems to sell their items only directly (either at their office or by mail order). You may want to inquire:</p>

<p>rayqual@mbp.nifty.com</p>

<p>I'm really surprised that with all of the Leica-4/3s dealings together that there is not an "official" adapter. No doubt it would sell exceptionally well... and might be a way for Leica to make some actual cash on a digital M... I'm more than surprised that Leica has not pushed towards an M-4/3 camera of their own as built by Panny... but the current rumors seem to be that Leica is moving away from 4/3s... certainly odd timing considering 4/3's is finally getting interesting to alot of people!</p>

<p>What I'm really looking forward to is the Olympus implementation of the m4/3 body. That mockup they showed toward end of last year looks really interesting. A modern, digital re-interpretation of the classic 135 format RF aesthetic and utility would just be the cat's meow.</p>

<p>Dmitry,<br>

According to their introduction of themselves, they once made extension tubes for a Greman camera company (Contax, maybe?). So there might be some hope that they would communicate in English. But it would be safer and surer to ask your Japanese friend. The telephone number of the factory is:<br>

03-3948-6160 (from abroad: 81-3-3948-6160)</p>

<p>FWIW, here's the official website of Rayqual (Japanese only):<br>

http://homepage2.nifty.com/rayqual/</p>

<p>Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Looks like I need to make a trip to Japan, just to confuse myself more with this M4/3 thing, and buy couple of adapters. I would not go as far as to say this is what 4/3 was supposed to be, but it is a welcome addition to the system. I am waiting for the small Olympus, I am personally not keen on a DSLR style non-SLR with EVF.</p>