Does it make sense to buy 5D now?

gurbally_seth

<p>Considering that it is about $1000 cheaper than 5D Mark II, does it make sense to buy 5D now? I am tempted by its full frame as I want to upgrade there. But Mark II is certainly beyond me reach at this stage. However, at the same time I don't want to regret wasting money if... Please suggest. </p>

<p>The 5D is an excellent camera. I've had one for a couple of years now, and see no reason to upgrade. I'm really a casual user. That said:</p>

<p>I would put aside the price difference, which is not <em>that</em> much, and consider the two cameras on their merits and negatives.</p>

<p>Yes, without a doubt. The 5D is the bargain now for high image quality.<br>

I recently bought a "like new" 5D to go with my 5D from early 2006. No regrets. <br>

The image quality is fantastic.<br>

I use my 5D for birding, landscapes, car racing, volleyball, portraits, macro, etc.<br /><br>

As noted above, I would also take a 5D over any 1.6 crop camera.</p>

<p>What features does the 5DMII have that you'd be willing to spend $1000 for? That should take care of your internal debate. The person that said this camera holds it's value is wrong. I paid $3400 for mine, and it's probably worth $1000 three years later. On the other hand, I had a Canon F1 that I used for 20 years and sold for more than what I paid for it. That's "holding its value"! If you want good resale, buy a rare Leica - if you want good images, you've found a camera that will do that.</p>

<p>The 5D holds it value much better than say a 30D or 40D did if bought a few years back. I bought mine in 2006 for 1500GBP and they're selling used for 750-1000 for a mint one as mine is. If I used it as a workhorse then I'd expect a greater hit. Not too bad depreciation. Everybody thought that when the MKII was released it would bring more camera for less or equivalent cost but this didn't happen keeping prices high. The reverse happened with the 20D/30D/40D.</p>

<p>I don't know, but I just bought one a month ago myself. I'm not so sure of the arguments about "full-frame" and "crop" cameras, but I do know that in <em>my</em> own work, I often use a shift lens, and Canon only just announced a new TS-E lens that would work on the 15x22mm sensor bodies a week after I bought the "full-frame" 5D. With the 5D, my lovely old PC-Nikkor works just like it did on my film Nikons (and this sort of thing is basically manually operated in any case). (And it clears the mirror of the 5D too and uses stop down metering in Av mode, unlike its <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00OmZp">use</a> on digital Nikon bodies for this older model)</p>