Does it get any better than the 1Ds mark II?

stephen_persky

Hello,

I was just comparing many of my old prints to the 1Ds Mark II. I

have many prints from Leica cameras and medium format. The range is

8x10 to 13x19 to 16x20 prints. I have to say that the prints from

the 1Ds mark II beat them all. The resolution is just amazing even

at all resolutions. I feel that 35mm does not even come close to the

Digital prints from the 1Ds Mark II. I would say that the only close

film comparison would be film 6x6 or larger. It is truly amazing to

have the versatility of a 35mm camera combined with Medium format or

better quality.

Just really happy with the Canon DSLR. I hope this post does not

offend.

Regards,

Well here is what happened. I was all ready to buy the 1D mark II and I decided to download some Raw shots from the 1Dmark II and the 1Ds Mark II. My wife and I compared many printouts, and we could see an obvious difference. Both cameras beat my 35mm film shots. So I just asked my wife for the extra 4k for the 1Ds Mark 2. She said sure it is like having medium format and 35mm all rolled into one. It seemed cheap when you look at it that way:)

Regards

Steve

It's going to get even better, just wait another year or so when the release the mark-3, with a bajillion more pixels. They are no longer cameras, they are consumer electronics. Gone are the days when you could buy an OM2N and it would work for the next 30 years with nothing to beat it.

"For now" is the key. There will be improvements to sensors and probably even more to processing speeds and memory. It won't be too long before the 8000 reasons will be reduced to only 1000 to 1500.

They strung us along for 20 years telling us they were making exposure better, then they strung us along for 20 years telling us they were making autofocus better, they have spent the last 10 years actually working on something new and they'll spend the next 10 perfecting it. That will give them the next 20 year phase to string us along while they work on autofocus again in a continual attempt to improve it. Then they'll realize that they do not need the lens at all for imaging purposes and figure away to get rid of that! Some sort of x-ray, lazer, radar, ultrasound, cellular, RF, 3-d hologram imaging device with colour. I do hope they'll leave me alone in my retirement to finish off the last bits of film and flash cards. I certainly do not want to have to learn something new again!

this is a question, not an answer. Would the B&W print you get from the inkjet printer of the above digital image be as good as the print that you would get if you used film camera and the old wet chemical printing process? I just can't get any decent B&W prints from my inkjet printer.

"So I just asked my wife for the extra 4k for the 1Ds Mark 2. She said sure it is like having medium format and 35mm all rolled into one. It seemed cheap when you look at it that way:)"

Up next: Stephen asks his wife for the money to buy a turbo Porsche so he can drive to the room he wants to rent for a month at the Playboy mansion...AND GETS IT!

"I was just comparing many of my old prints to the 1Ds Mark II. I have many prints from Leica cameras and medium format. The range is 8x10 to 13x19 to 16x20 prints. I have to say that the prints from the 1Ds mark II beat them all."

That can't be! Where's the super-film crowd with their tests and FBI links (but no images) to PROVE that expired drugstore ISO 200 print film makes the images from your 1Ds mkII look like somebody spit on a roll of 110 film before printing? And if you have Leica glass in front of that 35mm drugstore film...MEDIUM FORMAT, WATCH OUT!

(Sorry, couldn't resist. BTW, does your wife have a single sister? I'm looking for a woman who will just give the OK whenever I want to spend large sums of money on camera equipment ;-)

"I'm looking for a woman who will just give the OK whenever I want to spend large sums of

money on camera equipment ;-)"

I don't bother to ask my wife. I just buy it. All cameras and lenses look the same to her...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Stephen, I'm glad you like your new camera. I wish I could motivate buying but that price point isn't something I'm willing to spend (then add L glass). Partly, I think you are just high on high quality digital! :-) A DSLR w/ good lens/es is a perfect tool for shooting kids, which is what I use it a lot for.

Can it get better? Sure, one just have to pay more money.

That the resolution and print quality of a $8K camera vs. a $1,000 Leica or any-brand-SLR is higher/very impressive isn't really a shocker. But that doesn't change the fact that they serve different purposes, nor that resolution is everything.

In a perfect world, I wish I could own/use all of them! :-)

well as long as there is no clear way to get those digital image in the same quality to a baryth paper, as I can with my Mamiya 7 I would never spend that much in getting high quality pixel images I can watch on my computer. My goal is getting high quality long lasting B&W barith prints. I don?t like those inkjet prints in tone and quality.

The best time for guys to ask for pemission from their ladies to buy camera equipment etc is in the pre orgasmic instant, so you need to hone those others skills up too! I hope this useful post does not offend! Just real happy with my new Porsche!

"I don't bother to ask my wife. I just buy it. All cameras and lenses look the

same to her..."

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of telling my wife that she only needed to

worry when the lenses that arrive are white...one can't hide a 70-200IS very

easily.

And right now, the 1DsII is the carrot for many photographers to turn pro, or

take on paid work they'd normally turn down...IT BETTER BE GOOD!

Personally just waiting till they get a LOT cheaper.