Does Image Stabilization work with AF film camera's such as the EOS-1n?

mark_stephan2

Your 28-135 was introduced back in the film days, so yup, it works with film cameras :-) Actually, I used to use the 28-135 (and 300/4 IS) with film bodies. Since IS is doing exactly the same job (stabilizing the image that the lens projects onto whatever detects the light), it works the same way.

Definitely. However, the standard 2CR5 battery for the EOS 1N is generally not the most reliable for powering image stabilisation. The power drive booster E1, fitted with either standard AA alkaline or AA lithium batteries is a much more reliable source of power.

Canon's IS has gone through multiple iterations and engineering changes since the first 75-300 IS lens came out in 1995. The lenses today (especially the L-series) are not so power hungry but heavy, persistent use will still tax the smaller battery. Consider the PDB for added ergonomics too.

Garyh | AUS

Pentax 67 w/ ME | Swiss ALPA SWA12 A/D | ZeroImage 69 multiformat pinhole | Canon EOS 1N+PDB E1

Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome E6 user since 1977.

Ilfochrome Classic Master print technician (2003-2010) | Hybridised RA-4 print production from Heidelberg Tango scans

Thanks for all the information. I'm using the 28-135 IS with the BP-E1 which uses 4 AA's and have gone through half a roll already without power issues. Glad you mentioned the 2CR5, I'll have to make sure the battery switch is turned to AA's and not lithium. BTW, the EOS-1N is way cool, wished I could have afforded one before the dawn of digital imaging.

I don't use a lot of stabilized lenses on my film EOS cameras*, but the 2CR5 batteries I have seem to be immortal. No issues with battery drain even with IS.

Canon EOS 650
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS 620
    Canon EOS 630 (600)
    Canon EOS 1
    Canon EOS 10s (10)
    Canon EOS 700
    Canon EF-M
    Canon EOS 5 QD
    Canon EOS 3