Does Canon IS benifit Video on 5D Mark II?

model mayhem gallery

<p>I have read many posts of users trying to decide between Canon 24-70 F2.8 and Canon 24-105 F4 IS lenses. However, I have not read any posts commenting on how image stablized lenses benifit handheld HD video recordings. This could be the deciding factor for me since I have discovered IS will not benifit my handheld studio work while using strobes. Seems IS only benifits in low light situations where very slow shutter speeds are required. Does this help with low light video or is it still more benifitial to have a wider aperture F2.8 at 1/30 shutter for video?</p>

<p>The way one holds and controls a Video Camera is much different from the way one holds a DSLR, I will go test my 24-105L this weekend to evaluate how much IS helps. With a shorter lighter lens, I do fairly well with such a lens, but holding a few pounds in front of you will get tiring quickly. A point and shoot such as the G9 which I own, much easier to hand hold for a longer length of time.</p>

<p>I've been using the 5D Mark II and the 7D for just about 6 months now, and I've done around 40 video proyects already. The lens I like to use the most is my 70-200 f/2.8 IS, the reason? The IS provides something similar to a steadycam; you can use the DSLR handheld and the movement will feel much smoother and soft, as if you were using a steadycam. The added weight of this lens also provides a better feel when holding, which makes it more comfortable.</p>

<p>Erwin Marlin</p>

<p>For video a monopod really helps. I use the 24-105 but I prefer a small monopod because even with IS, it will not be enough to really keep it steady. I do believe the IS gives benefit to hand held video but you will want to use an external mic so you don't pick up the IS sound.<br>

As to 70 or 105, its hard to decide on one of these 2 lenses. I am sure you did a search and found good reasons to get one over the other. I think for more pro use the 70 is the way to go, for the more casual or travel photographer the 105 is better but both are very capable but neither is really small or light so end up mostly using primes anyway. </p>