Does anyone use a Rodenstock Ysarex 210mm?

robertfarnham

I'm brand new to the LF world. Just bought a used Calumet 4X5 with a

Rodenstock Ysarex 210mm/6.8 lens.

I have searched the net for info on this lens and have found zero

references to it.

Has anyone used this lens, and if so, can you offer any insights into

strengths, weaknesses, best/worst uses etc? Any other pearls of

wisdom would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob

I have a Rodenstock Geronar which is a low end Rodenstock lens. It performs very well in so much as I have exhibited my prints right along side those taken with much more expensive lenses and you couldn't really tell the difference.

The most critical things are; focus accurately, good tripod, and a lenshade.

Ahh Yes, a wonderful lens that I love! Its made from Lanthanum glass and has throws a very crisp image with fantastic colour reproduction. With modern lenses the shadows can take on a neon cyan/blue colour but with this lens they look natural and open. I have been looking for a 300mm version but I am begining to wonder of they ever made this lens in that focal length. The 210 is probably the longest you'll find. They also made a 150, 127 and a 75 but don't quote me on that. The Ysaron/ysarex are essentially the same lens but slightly tweaked for different magnifivcations. I don't have my brochure in front of me and I'm going from memory, if I got anything wrong I will be immediatly corrected :-)

CP Goerz

The Vede Mecum shows it as being a modified Tessar type, using lanthanum glass, introduced in 1968. The focal lengths for LF use were from 105 to 210. The working angle of these lenses was given as 55 degrees which in the 210mm size gave an image circle of 261mm. That would give a useful range of movements on 4X5. There were also smaller lenses of the same name, and a 127mm made only for Polaroid.

I have used the Ysarex 127mm/4,7 (in Prontor SVS shutter I think) liftet from a Polaroid Pathfinder 110 (the old high-end roll-film-polaroid camera). The lens were mounted in a home made tilt-mount for a RB-67. Worked nicely & gave very good sharpness & resolution. Liked it alot. The 127mm Ysaron version in barrel-mount were also used by polaroid on earlier MP-3 repro/industrial cameras. I have remounted one of these for use with Sinar shutter - great lens but with little movements.