Does anyone in UK/Europe have Microtools Leica set?

paul t

Boldly venturing where angels fear to tread, I plan to repaint my user Leica M3. <p>

I have located a workshop who will strip the chrome. But of course I need to dismantle the camera. I don't

necessarily want to pay out too many $$$ for a set of tools I will use only once, so I wondered if anyone in

the UK or Europe has a set of the Microtools for Leica that I could buy s/h or borrow? TIA.

Ken,

i'm afraid that it takes more than a screwdriver. You need a special wrench for the ring over the wind lever, and also for the ring under the rewind knob. Apart from that you need a tool to remove the screw on top of the rewind knob.

If you have the tools, dismanlting is very straightforward. While you have the camera apart, you may want to remove the lightshield and check the 2 felt strips on the back. The tend to come off and get stuck in the gear below. (this made the M2 i bought as broken go broken).

I'm still working on a repaint job on the M2, but haven't had much time lately. Hope to finish it soon.

Anyway, it's a nice thing to do, and also to get a bit more into the mechanics of the camera itself. Most of it is straightforward, as long as you make notes or pictures of which part was were.. There is no danger of springs or the like flying around.