Does anyone else shoot in 8mm or Super-8?

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by silverscape, May 15, 2009.

1. ph.

ph.

I have reached page 417 or so and found this exchange ad small frame movie equipment. Today it seems as remote as horse-drawn carriages.

But I still regret Kodachromes` demise and have kept my Bolexes, Beaulieus and Leicinas and their optics together with suitable projectors , so if double8 and S-8 fim becomes available I am ready, I do not collect, but then I do not sell , which amounts to a similar situation once one has used plenty of gear.

p.

2. I have 43 rolls of 8mm color from my wife's father taken years and years ago. I was thinking about digitizing them because my 8mm projector went bad. It runs in reverse but not forward.

But now I'm thinking of first getting a replacement 8mm projector instead. Which would you recommend that has a good chance of still working? What about which lens?

3. 8mm or super-8? Sound or not?
    With only 43 rolls, I don't imagine you will set up a home cinema, so a standard lens on a brand named projector would probably suffice. A real projection screen often gives a more significant improvement in experience than minor differences in optical qualities of the projection lens.

4. 8mm, no sound.

5. I recommend whichever one you can get a lamp for.

There are many used, likely in fine shape, projectors with no lamp, and NOS
    lamps sold for high prices.

6. I just realized that my projector has a working lamp. I;its just that it only runs in reverse. I was thinking of just reversing the whole film and running it through in reverse. ;)

7. Last year the focus knob on my dad's Sawyers slide projector broke.

I found the same model on a Goodwill auction for about $15, including shipping.
    (That is, less than a roll of Ektachrome costs now.)

I believe with working lamp, but in any case, he kept the old lamp and now has a working projector.

You might find a similar projector for $15, with or without lamp, that works both ways.

Just as with older cameras, there are enough around that it it easier and cheaper to buy one,
    than to figure it out and get it fixed.

8. Sometimes these 're-animated' posts are interesting. In this case, I Googled™ and found some sources for 8mm film and processing. Who knew?

At least I can be nostalgic.

9. Those old 8mm projectors are showing their age and shouldn't cost much. A year or so ago I handled two projectors where the electrical cords on both cracked and crumbled when I touched them.

10. I normally shoot with Nizo Super 8 cameras. Also have a Zeiss Ikon Super eight. Both have wonderful ergonomic designs. I began shooting movies in early 1970s, when regular 8 was considered passé, although I am far frI’m convinced that there is a great difference in quality for high end cameras. The Super 8 cartridge was probably the main selling point.

11. ph.

ph.

the advice ad lamps is sound. As to projectors I use a Leitz which has larger sprocket wheels than the Bolex and so is gentler towards old and brittle film material. Its optics are decent.

p.

12. If you happen to be in San Francisco Bay area, I have a Nizo 801 Macro Super 8 camera and an Elmo projector free for photo.net members. The Nizo was working properly but I left batteries in for too long, so there is a bit of corrosion in the battery compartment. The Elmo is a prosumer model that is working mostly, with one small plastic broken (I use bluetec to keep it there) and the PA/speakers are not working (but audio out is working fine). Just ping me if you are in the area. I would like someone to find some use of them.

13. As to the actual reason I am interested in Super-8, I have an Estes Cineroc:

http://www.rcgrabbag.com/estes-cineroc-1970/

which is a Super-8 camera designed for model rocketry.
    It is supposed to weigh about 2oz (about 57g), and uses a special film cartridge
    that holds 10ft (about 3m) of film.

I have a cartridge of Tri-X reversal Super-8, which I might someday get some
    of into the Cineroc.

14. Cool device!