Does anybody still shoot slides ?

Discussion in 'Film and Processing' started by hjoseph7, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Does anybody still shoot slides ? Is so why ?

2. I've been waiting, but given no positive responses, I'll say that I don't shoot slides anymore because
    • I can no longer get local processing for E-6, and Kodachrome is gone (sob)
    • Color negative films have incredible latitude in exposure and color balance
    • On the whole, scanning into digital form seems to work better with C/N films

3. SCL

SCL

I've still got some Velvia in the freezer, which maybe I'll shoot in the fall. But mostly the inconvenience & cost these days.

4. I still shoot slide film but cross process it all. I like the way it looks and the color shifts i get.

5. If film in the refrigerator counts, I still have 6 rolls of Ektachrome Infrared (slide) film.
    The expiration date is only 1972, so I would guess it is just "dandy", if- that is - you can arrange for E-4 processing. I'm intending to do B&W processing on it if I ever get to it.

6. I have some boxes of 9x12cm E100G in the freezer I'd like to use in the Recomar 33. But otherwise, no, never really was into the Fuji slide films, but I did like E100G and E100GX.

7. I have about 6 rolls of prov but have not shot them because the expense of an E6 kit for just 6 rolls.
    I do still shoot BW Reversals. Great depth, better than colour. But everything in BW is..... ;)

8. Very, very rarely and when I do it is only medium format or 4x5.

9. Yes because there is nothing like viewing a slide projected with a good projector lens. And if you really want to be amazed project a 6x6 slide.

10. Colour slides are really the only way to do photography. However although E-6 is still available, the labs that do so are quickly disappearing, mostly as a result of lack of demand. Some labs I know locally process C-41 once a week, sometimes once every two weeks.
    Most everything else comes to them on-line or as disc or as a chip or as a USB stick. The actual "processing" is not done, just the colour printed result.
    Kodachrome is gone, Provia 400 is gone, and have many friends who have told me when slide
    film can not be purchase and processed anywhere and at a reasonable (now up to C$21.00 for a roll of 36 plus 13 percent sales tax) they'll stop photography. These same friends have no computer nor digital anything and they are older than I am at age 68. For them to change makes no sense. Let's see; one is 73, one is 78 and the other two or three are in their early eighties.

11. Yes, Velvia and Provia. Lots of people still do as they like the whole process. It is what I am used to. It is expensive to me so am quite selective on subjects, but if I find something good in good light I will fire away.

12. I would question: Why wouldn't one shoot slides? I do regularly. Slide, transparency films resolving power is greater than negative films, although negative films posses finer grain. Transparency films are more scanner friendly than negative. Yes, we have been around this before, but it is amazing how people forget.

13. I still shoot it, mostly in medium format and not often. But here in So Cal there is still film available and processing as well.

14. I mainly shoot colour slides. If not, black and white film. I process the film by myself as there are few labs doing it and because I like to do all the processing by myself. I use 35mm, 6x6 and sometimes 4x5. Unfortunately, prices of film and chemicals increase. So, I have to think before shoot. But this does not keep me away from shooting slide medium. I hope slide film will not disappear at all. I even have some Ilfochrome paper in the freezer to print the most attractive slides.

15. Yes.
    I have a Noblex panoramic camera, which I want to continue using, so that means shooting film.
    I once read that if you want prints, shoot negative film, and if you want to project, shoot reversal film. What if you want to scan? You can choose either.
    I prefer the colours that reversal film gives me compared to negative film. I find reversal film easier to scan, it provides me with a reference image to match my scans to, it is easier to review frames, and it also provides an "end image", whereas shooting negative film and just getting the negatives back from the lab is not at all satisfying.

16. I still shoot slides as an occasional treat because, while I prefer the handling of my film cameras, I just
    can't get good colour accuracy when scanning colour negatives (my colour work is usually digital).

17. I use 35mm slide film with a Nikon FM3a and FM2n cameras (I use an FE for B&W) with a selection of Ai/AIS lenses.
    I also have a D40 with the 3 DX lenses (18-55mm, 55-200mm and 35mm 1.8) and a 50mm 1.8 AFS. I love the little thing.
    The Recent Past

I used to love Kodak slide (100VS,100 EBX and 100EP) but they've all gone. My favourite Fuji was Velvia 100F but that too is now gone (I'm down to my last 2 frozen rolls). I've always used Velvia 50 and like to use Velvia 100 but only with a warming polariser. It's a bolder version of Provia which I have never been keen on.

Surviving in E6

I get charged £7.50 (pounds a roll now for developing (it cost as little as 4 quid when I started in the early 2000's). The worst thing lately is that the Royal Mail doubled mailing costs so the whole process costs me now £11.50 per roll. This means a roll of E6 once every 2 months for processing. The downside is that because I'm taking longer to finish rolls I'm also doing less film photography and therefore you need to work more slowly so as to remember certain techniques with obtaining correct exposure so as not to get any bad shots and waste money.
    I can get rolls of slide film under £10 pounds or look for stuff that is just going out of date. However, as it creeps up in cost, there will obviously be a cut off point. I can't stand colour print film - having tried Ektar it just does't work for me - it's plain ugly. I will more likely end up using B&W print - Ilford FP4 and Kodak TRi-X 400 are my favourites.
    Why I still use Slide Film?

I photograph landscapes and gardens with E6

I'm not saying that I'm a Joe Cornish or Galen Rowell but a well exposed slide still knocks my socks off. I have a display cabinet on my wall where the most recent slides are put and when I turn it on, people get out the loupe and have a look and are amazed at these little jewels of plastic that have somehow trapped the light at a location and preserved it. Some of my shots have a 3D like quality which you just do not get on digital. I also love the way slide film captures highlights if it is managed with exposure and filtration. Digital still has problems in that area. Also, I perceive a depth of colour with E6 that is just is not there in digital - even when you make prints. I have no desire to sit at a PC and alter RAW files or JPEGs - I spend enough time working on PCs, let only having a hobby on one.
    So that's why - I love the medium and wished I'd got the money to go larger. I also harbour the idea that one day I will scan the slides and sell them as pictures to supplement my retirement.
    I do have an E6 exit strategy which would involve me liquidating my lovely MF lenses and getting a higher end DX camera. I try not to think about that too often at the moment, so when I get out the Nikons I really focus on enjoying what time we spend together and getting the best pictures that I can.
    Mark Crown
    Derbyshire
    England

18. I agree w/Jim Peterson and Al Derickson, nothing beats a well exposed projected slide. North Coast Photo in CA still processes E-6 for ~$8.00/roll 35mm. I recently had them process 14 rolls, only $6.00 shipping for al 14 rolls. !!! Also many options in NYC, one in San Antonio, TX, and probably others if you look. 5 wks ago I purchased ~$200 worth of Provia 100F, Velvia 50, &100 from Adorama. B&H also has them in stock. Provia 400 has become way to expensive to purchase($14.00-18.00/roll). I still use my D700 for sports, street photo., and some landscape, but will also bring my F100 for landscape. I recently shot several rolls at many youth rodeos w/o any problems-both 100 and 400 ISO. Shot at least 8 rolls, shots look great. All mounted in Gepe AN Mounts.
    Looking at my work projected on a screen beats a laptop any day. But digital still offers greater flexibility in processing.

19. Geesh, we've experienced an absolute
    revolution....

I'm shooting some tri-X, done a few
    rolls over the last 18 months, Easy
    home processing postponing it's
    demise I think. Haven't shot slides in
    8~9 years.

And my dslr gear, albeit still used, is
    starting to feel neglected, eclipsed by
    the mundane but convenient smart
    phone.

Yup, typing on it ;)

20. Thanks for all the answers. Just as I was about to get into slides, Digital Photography came into the picture, so I never really learned all the nuances. Slide film is still selling, although development is hard to find unless you do it yourself, but how do you get prints from your slides minus scanning ?

21. Yes...still use slides for personal work....processing takes a week turn around as I live in the south of Spain and have to have it sent to either Madrid or Barcelona. A roll of 36 processed cost €3.50 and 120 costs me €4.75...sales tax included. For 4x5 I get great results from a lab in Madrid....cost €6.90.....they don't charge for pushing or pulling. Still have a freezer fall of Fuji and Kodak in the 3 formats...and top up from suppliers in China...with delivery within a week and the Euro being stronger than most currencies in the area

22. Imshot slidemfor about 90% of my pictures but recently the option regarding labs are narrowed because som closedmor stopped doing
    e6 and the remains are getting worst each time (see my post of yesterday). Slides are my favourite but the problems related to
    processing started to re-think about it and in the future I will shot less and less. Unfortunatly recently I stocked up a good amount of
    velvia50, provia 100F and all the provia 400X I found around Italy (all in 120 format). I will use it very slowly or sell it if I find someone
    interested (above all the rare provia 400 X). Sad days because as already stated nothing equal a well exposed slide viewed on a light
    table or (better) projected

23. I like Velvia 50 colors, contrast and limited DR and find slides easier to scan than Ektar 100 negatives. I shoot landscape with Velvia but shouldn't use with people as skin tones get too red and hard to adjust afterwards. I pay US$8 to develop in a lab who also cuts them into strips and place into plastic sleeves. Shipping is additional. Slides are easier to see over negatives as to which one was correctly exposed to scan as well. (I bracket).

24. Yes, in part because I can't bear to get rid of my Hasselblad XPan and if I have it I have to use it.
    Unfortunately, unlike JDM, I only have one roll of Ektachrome Infrared EIR color slide film in the freezer, so I;m waiting (and waiting...) for the perfect moment. I figure with bracketing ive got all of 12 shots.

25. I bought a pile of Velvia in 35mm and 120 a while ago, but I am really struggling with it. My results certainly aren't nearly as nice as what I have been led to believe it should look like. I presume my background using negs is causing me to not filter it properly, I notice if I do an auto white balance adjustment in Lightroom results improve. Will be struggling along until I am happy as I can be most persistent.

26. Chris, I've scanned some Velvia over the years (50 and 100 in 35mm on a Minolta scanner) and it can be tricky stuff. The results seem to be be partly hardware-dependent and certainly depend on the subject photographed: correct exposure (or very slightly under) is a given. The slides always have a very high colour saturation and I suspect that some scanners can find that too demanding. The "best" solution I found was to use a slide viewer and post-process the scan to look as much like the original as possible! Crude and time-consuming, I know. I actually preferred Velvia 100F for scanning - but that's gone now. Provia was much easier to work with - and is currently still available, if you like the look.
    To the OP: I've still got a few rolls of Kodak Elitechrome left (probably because I didn't especially like it). These are expired, but I'll be putting them through my A-1 this summer and sending them off to the lab asap. When they're gone, they will be gone. E-6 still did better than my remaining C-41, which has all gone to that electronic auction site in cyberspace. I'm not planning to buy any more colour film stock, only black and white - and even that only now and again.
    For me, the current digital offerings have finally beaten analogue colour (and my scanner won't last for ever), although I'm nostalgic for slides - many great memories, stretching into childhood. Recently I projected a few slides to some teenagers and they were "blown away", never having come across them before. My all-time favourites: Velvia 50, Kodachrome 25 and the amazing Agfa Scala. It's a bit like CDs versus LPs: I always hated the clicks and pops, but some purists still go with vinyl. (Different story for radio: FM blows digital broadcasting clean away, but that's a bandwidth issue!)

27. I still do...
    In my country/city there are 2 or 3 places to develop E-6 once a week and the cost is about 12lv which is about 6 euro for 35mm roll
    When I started /around 2004/ they developed it on a machine and the cost was half this price
    Adding the price of the film the cost is… about 15 euros which is… expensive
    But still it's worthy… the image, the colours, the feeling...
    After Ektachrome VS is gone /I have only two more/ I think I will use mainly Velvia 50 and sometimes Velvia 100
    Bryce Lee - we are all like the last mohikans…
    Mark Crown - my personal advice is DON'T sell the MF lenses you have! you could buy one day a FX body and use all of them - like the new Nikon Df - and get great digital results on a full frame… take in mind that Nikon is getting more and more digital FX bodies

28. Iosif mate, it's twice that price here. And once a week would be nice!

Film here is cruelly expensive. Sigh.

29. Chris Nielsen - they buy the chemistry for E-6 and films /mainly Agfa recently because it's the cheapest slide film/ from the German site macodirect.de
    so there is shipping added +profit and they wait for I think 4 films to develop at once
    take in mind that our salaries here are… about 4-500 euros average for a month
    do they use machine lab somewhere still? before they developed it on a Kodak machine lab here - now they use small bath tube with several dozes… Jobo I think... recently two films were spoiled - the temperature device were out of order… but when they fixed it the quality is amazing

30. i just got back from yosemite where I shot over 20 rolls of velvia 50 in 120 as well as 14 rolls of B&W to process as slides as well. did the B&W developing yesterday with the color about to get started in a few minutes. For me I love the look but also the process of developing the slides myself. I get the 5L tetenal kit from freestyle that does about 60 rolls, so it works out to about $1.50 US per roll and I get the slides back the same day!
    I also have been stocking up on film but I keep saking myself, at what point do I give up. Film costs are very expensive and have no ceiling in site for the near or long term. I have become more selective in terms of what I shoot on slide film and what I use for daily snaps. I have many rolls of astia left, both 35mm and 220 that I'm saving for the right moment. but it seems never to be the right moment, so whats the point? it kind of feeds on itself.
    The only way to keep e-6 alive is to buy film new and buy lots of it. show fuji that we still want it produced and are willing to shoot it. besides you may be paying more for film and development (if you aren't doing it yourself), but the hardware (cameras and lenses) are at give away prices.

31. My main concern is not cost of developing but thd quality, not that the cost is not an issue at all (in fact me too is more selective lately
    on what I shot) but if I can be sure of the quality at least I could enjoy it with no fear. Too much screwed up film lately to enjoy the
    process.

32. [​IMG]
    Why I shoot slide film. :) 120 format Velvia 50 through a 1938 Rolleiflex Automat.

33. Film is cheap. The 20+ historic / classic bodies and lenses I have plus a few years worth of film and processing (at the rate I shoot) are less expensive than ONE top digital camera.

34. 99% of the film that I shoot is slide film, and that hasn't changed over the past ten years. I love to create positive images that I can hold in my hand, look at through a loupe, or project.

If you are going to shoot slides, make sure that you are using your meter correctly and accurately. Slide film has limited latitude.

35. I am still shooting only slide film. Provia 100F, Astia, FP100C, Velvia, FP5 are all in the freezer. Will continue with slides
    as long as I can. Am moving to Mumbai soon and am worried about processing......
    There is nothing like seeing a well exposed 6x7 slide thru a Goetschmann projector!

36. david_henderson

david_henderson www.photography001.com

I was happy enough with slides, though not only did my approx 6000 frames a year cost me about £3 000 (would be
    double that now) but every time a stock agency accepted a shot, or I wanted to make a print I had to buy a quality scan ,
    so my total costs ran to over £5 000 pa. switching to digital saves all that -I could buy a 5D every year if I needed and still
    save a fortune . Plus I don't need to make a couple of thousand low res scans a year to show agencies work.

So I have few regrets over making a switch, and fewer about not having to carry a heavy MF body and half a dozen
    primes around. Neither do I regret the increasing storage space at home or the time looking for images. I do miss the big
    square images and the big MF view, but live view gets me most of that, and I can make a 50 mb square with a bit of
    effort. So for me a big decision, which has worked out.

37. this is right if you shoot small quantity -
    Film is cheap. The 20+ historic / classic bodies and lenses I have plus a few years worth of film and processing (at the rate I shoot) are less expensive than ONE top digital camera.​

but as David Henderson mention above - for industrial kind of work it's much more expensive and hardworking - true

but at the end - it's what you want to achieve...

38. it

it

E6 is going the way of the dodo. Toronto Image Works just closed it's E6 line, now you have to send your roll of Velvia 4000 kms to the Left Coast if you want to shoot the stuff. I just started shooting neg again after a 6 year break, and even it's a PITA to get processed professionally.

39. However with Toronto Image works no longer doing E-6 Blacks camers shop still do so and if you're sending stuff to the Left coast, Dwaynes in Parsons Kansas still does E=6 and places them in cardboard mounts!

40. I am still shooting slides. Got a fridge full of fuji Velvia and provia that should last me another 2-3 years and I will stock up along the way when deals come up. I shoot a lot of detailed natural scenes in overcast light and slides really brings out the subtlety of all the colors! Some of my friends use top-end Nikon or Canon digital bodies but I haven't seen any body consistently matches the quality of slides in color.
    I am also in Toronto and it is sad to see Toronto Image Works stop slide processing. However, there are two local alternatives with quite reasonable pricing, so we don't have to send the film far away. Northern Artists actually has a two-hour turnaround time. you cannot ask much more than that.
    http://www.northernartists.com/services_slideprocessing.php
    http://www.e6it.ca/

41. I still have some E6 film in the fridge, and, last I knew, still two labs left locally (Seattle).
    But mostly lately I do B&W for film cameras, and color for dlgital.

42. For my personal work - landscapes, backpacking, and travel, mainly - I still like the look of Velvia 50 (sometimes Velvia 100 and Provia) and still enjoy the process of getting straight-out-of-the-camera results. Sometimes I wonder why, especially when I'm on a tripod trying to photograph wildlife at ISO 50 (or 200, tops), wasting $0.60 frames where the animal blinks, ducks, or moves, while everybody else is happily clicking away for free with handheld DSLRs. Those situations are a minority for me, though, and even though I'm now able to get results I really like with digital (family shots and photos for the entomology lab I work in), I still like having something tangible and 'old-school'.
    I'll probably give up slides eventually (and may not have a choice in too many more years), but I'd like to at least make it through 2015 - that would be 25 years of solid slide-shooting for me, and maybe a good opportunity to reconsider how I do things.

43. One other reason, to be honest - I like the challenge of producing a good slide image. There's a lot less room for error, and the situations transparency film can handle are more limited than a RAW file. But when everything works and you get a sharp, well-exposed slide, it's a lot more satisfying to me, kind of like the difference between hiking up a mountain and driving to the top (even if the view's the same).

44. I have a FX Nikon but seldom use it. I use it for social events that is about it. I use my DX D70 which is 10yr old for auction stuff. I am kinda thinking that a high end point and shoot might be better for social given the small size.
    For my main - landscapes and cityscapes at golden light and twilight Velvia it is. I have a pro-pack of 35mm on order arriving and I have 3x 120 format pro-packs in my freezer and 2 pro-pack of E100G Kodak as well when they canned them. Don't have a medium format camera yet.
    I like the process the the perfectly exposed slide. I enjoy the slow steps, waiting for the result, going to the store or order film online etc. Where I am in NZ a roll of 35mm Velvia can cost $32US a roll so I import them from the USA and export for development at Dwaynnes but I can of course get them processed in Japan in person which I read they offer a 2hr turnaround service.
    Edit
    I don't use C41, unless I want a deliberate look. With a slide what you shot is what you get. My end point is the slide. I am not into post processing a digital file or that scanned C41. You shoot color RAW, there is so much you can do, when does it end. I am more into you arrive to the area waited for the light or you returned when teh light is better and you capture it on the camera. I have gone into B/W self developing but I scanned them. I am still a really a color person. So slides for my own stuff.

45. I used to pretty well only shoot slides, but after going digital I have not shot a single roll. I thought I would, but have not picked up the film camera to actually take any shots at all. I still have a quite a few rolls of Astia and Velvia 100F in the freezer. In terms of quality, there is no reason for me to go back to film. The problem for me was that my local labs all closed down and the quality of their processing declined drastically too. These were the last nails in the coffin.

46. I shoot slide as much as I can - unfrotuantely that means combing eBay rather than buying ffresh most of the time, because slide film is so expensive these days.
    If I'm buying fresh, I tend to grab Agfaphoto Precisa 100 (actually Fuji Provia 100) and Kodak Elite Chrome or Ektachrome on eBay.
    I actually love the results from expired Agfa RSX - there's a slight redness that's accentuated in it as it expires.I really like it.

47. I have returned to slide film after a decade of shooting digital. Part of it is the nostalgia, but the biggest part is the tangible look of film. To me it is still the most beautiful and produces the most saturated colors. I love Fuji Velvia 50 (and usually shoot it with an ISO of 40, which helps considerably on exposure). There are still several great mail-in processors in the US, though Kansas City still has at least one local processor for slide film as well.
    I don't look for slide film to go away soon, if ever. It still has a lot of interest and a lot of people who shoot with it. As for expense, it's all relative. The honest look and resolution of film in a digital camera will set you back about $5g, imo. That's a ton of film and processing.

48. Many love the workflow of digital, and why not the work flow issue is attractive, and once that becomes the priority they don't look back. There's still nothing like the look of slide film, I mean C'mon, please! Cuhuh!

49. I shot a 100ft can of Velvia this summer and developed it in my kitchen. I still have 3 cans in the freezer!

50. I do, all the time. My favorite now is Provia 400x with warming filter, which just got discontinued (I was fortunate to squirrel away some before heavy price increases). I will not shoot slides once after my local lab (I live in Saint Louis) stops processing.
    I shoot slides primarily because of the "trueness" of the color film rendition when projected. Think about how beautiful it is - when you expose a slide and project it - you can see, glowing in full 5x5 feet glory, that which was in your camera at the moment you pulled the shutter. There is no digital intermediary, like when you have to print a slide, or make a digital C-print on color print film (and I dont have access to a color enlarger). It is a very authentic form of photography that I intend to keep alive as long as labs process E-6.
    To me, the straight film look only exists in black and white on photographic paper, and light shining through a positive slide. And I suppose that slides link me to my family heritage - my grandfather, who passed away, shot only slides, and some of my greatest memories (even though I am in my twenties) were sitting on the living room floor and watching his slide shows of his Grand Tours around Europe and the United States. Love it!