Documentary Photography / Photojournalism - Schools

<p>I'm looking into getting a education in Documentary Photography / Photojournalism, but I'm having trouble finding a wellrespected school. And I'm hoping you guys could give me some advice.</p>

<p>I'm mainly looking in the US, but any other country will work aswell<br>

I'm NOT a beginner, that means I don't want any beginner classes.<br>

<br />Another alternative is Fine Art Photography, I've read about Acedemy of Art University but I don't know how they are.</p>

<p>Thats it!</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Any advanced photography program will offer photojournalism as part of its curriculum, but I have not heard of many schools that specialize in photojournalism alone. It may be a speciality program only offered by a few different universities. I know USC has a specialized arts program that offers entertainment journalism, which may be a good place to start looking.</p>

<p>I will let you know if I find anything else out. Good luck!</p>

<p>There is a Master in photography in Madrid Spain at the EFTI institute of media, i've been interested in this master for several years but i don´t have enough money, it is 10 months long and it costs around 10 thousand euros, there are two branches that you may choose, and i remember that one is photojournalism, anyway google EFTI and you´ll see, although it is in spanish, there is another institute in spain "ESCUELA TAI" which has the same program as EFTI but it is a bit more expensive.<br>

If you don´t have a problem with the money, spending almost a year in Spain and speaking spanish, i think that is a good option.<br>

Cheers!</p>

• 6 months later...

<p>Fine Arts and Photojournalism are two very radically different tracks in terms of education. I know there are photojournalism programs out there that are mostly about cameras and shooting. But most of the really reputable photojournalism programs I've seen are much less about your work with the camera. You're studying media and ethics, the law, first amendment issues, photographic ethics (dealing with issues like manipulation, post-production, staging no-no's). Certainly you get into the actual photography (but it's often stuff like: telling stories). And you'll probably spend some time on feature writing (b/c these days, many photojournalists in smaller or remote stories have to do a lot more than take pictures--they are THE media source for that particular story).<br>

Fine Arts--for a good program, expect to also spend a lot of focus on studying art (art history, art trends, composition, criticism, culture) that doesn't even involve you picking up your camera.</p>

<p>Have a look at Brooks Institute..<br>

I'm facing the exact same dilema as you right now. I quit my IT job a few months ago to go and study in some kind of photo / video documentary work, or simply in the filming industry. Haven't yet decided.<br>

Brooks looks really nice. However, they are freakin expensive!!</p>

<p>http://www.brooks.edu/Degree-Programs/Film-Communication/Bachelor-Of-Fine-Arts-In-Visual-Journalism/</p>

<p>If you find anything interesting, can you update this post please?</p>

<p>Thanks! Pat</p>