Do you use a Lens Hood?

Stephen_Prunier

<p>I have lens hoods on all of my lenses. But I tend to be lazy when it comes to using my filters. Reason being, it can be a real pain. All of my lenses take the same size filter so if I have a Polarizer on my 28mm then decide to change to my 35-70mm it takes some time. I also like to hand hold my Grads against the lens. I always take the hood off when using grads. Would keeping the lens hood on effect the grads? I shoot 95% Landscape/Nature and when I was watching Art Wolfe's show on PBS it looked like most of the time he wasn't using one. So that's what got me thinking about them.</p>

<p>At least one company, Lee (<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Hoods/ci/3839/N/4289364484">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Hoods/ci/3839/N/4289364484</a>) makes a compendium hood which takes 4" square filters. The filters go close to the lens where they are shielded by the hood. This should improve contrast considerably.</p>

<p>I use a compendium hood almost exclusively with my Hasselblad. It seemed bulky and unsuited for outdoor use, but nothing could be further from the truth. Since it is adjustable, I can make one hood fit each lens exactly, and it folds flat for storage. I have had one annoying problem, however. People who see it always ask what kind of camera I'm using (I'd rather be invisible).</p>

<p>Most grad filters are not multi-coated, or even single coated, so they are subject to reflections and ghosting if hit by light. A hood that shielded the filter could be a great asset in some situations. But since I no longer have a compendium hood, I usually shade the filter with my hand or a hat when needed. Certainly less that best practice.</p>

<p>I have lens hoods on all of my lenses too. Since I started using them, I have not been using my circular polarizer as I did before. It is really difficult to move the front element of the PL-C when the long hood of a 75-300 is mounted. I wonder why Canon and Nikon have not adopted a solution Sony has been using in their hoods (an extremely intelligent solution, I must add), a small window near the filter thread, so that you can reach your filter without destroying your picture.</p>

<p>Leandro</p>

<p>I do have the Cokin P holder and I do use it at times. I meant more about whether (lens hoods) they are being used that often on the end of 35 mm camera lenses. Mine always stay on. But like I was saying it seems to me that after seeing Art Wolfe and others "not using" them I was wondering if I don't need to use them all the time. Maybe just have them with me and if the light is falling across the lense causing flair then put the hood on?<br>

Between being under the weather ie. sick and having a very important election tomorrow my brain is a little out of balance right now. So I apologies if I wasn't clear! LOL</p>

<p>I almost always use lens hoods, but more for protection than anything. Most of my shooting is at weddings or other events, and I need something to keep me and other people from poking their fingers into the lens.</p>

<p>That said, when I don't use a hood I do have more issues with flare than when I don't. I suppose if I was more methodical and careful about where the contra light was coming from, and took the time to shade my lens/filter, I would need the hood less.</p>

<p>A virtually identical thread started just yesterday. Here's what I wrote in response to that one<br>

Just about everbody says to use hoods, but</p>

<ul>

<li>When I'm out and about, I'd say 50% at least of the slrs I see don't have lens hoods fitted </li>

<li>I don't use lenshoods at all and have very few photographs with flare or the reduced saturation that goes with it. </li>

</ul>

<p>I should explain the last bit. I have zero problem with the idea of preventing bright light from outside the frame from striking the front element. Its just that I don't need to take up valuable bag space with hoods to achieve it. Taking photographs from shade; using a hand, book, map, hat or whatever to shield the lens are primary routes, as is positioning a person - either known or not- to cast a shadow on the front element. You can very often see flare in the finder if you look carefully, expecially with the big view medium format gives you, so I mostly get to be aware when I need to do something to avoid it. From a protection viewpoint, I dont carry a camera mounted on a tripod , I don't carry cameras hanging round my neck. I'm either using the camera or its in a bag with a lens cap on. I don't think trapping a bit of dust en route to the front element is very important.<br>

Now this is just the way I choose to work, and I'm happy with it. Others might feel differently. But I just wanted to make the point that using hoods is a choice not a compulsion and is not a necessary prerequisite to getting good photographs.</p>