Do you still project slides ?

didier

<p>I am just wondering if I am becoming a kind of luddite ;-), but I (re)discovered the pleasure to watch slides projected on a screen.<br /> For the past years, I've been looking at my slides with a loupe, scanning most of them and having a few of them analog printed (Cibachrome). But it had been years since I had looked at a screen... (actually about 20 years, in my teens with my father's projector).<br>

We had the opportunity a few days ago, at my girlfriend's Grandparents (her Grandfather is a lifelong Leica collector and turning 80) : he took his old Aldis slide projector out (even he hadn't done if for 15 years...), and we spent 3 hours looking at my slides... even the non photographers among us had a great time looking at our travel photos and my mountain pictures !</p>

<p>It was fun to look at the crisp pictures with saturated colors on a large screen. I had forgotten how impressive a good slide can look when projected...</p>

<p>Didier</p>

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>35mm slides can be impressive when projected; but wait until you see a 6X7 Provia transparency projected on a really large surface. I use a Linhof/Cabin manual projector with a 500 watt lamp. I really need an Imax projector since they are the same format as 6X7 (on 70mm film).</p>

<p>A colleague of mine and I keep a projector at work and show each other our recent slide shoots over lunch hour. Since we work in technology, the looks from people as they pass by the darkened conference room gets a lot of attention and humorous remarks. One of the newer guys -- about 24 years old, I think -- didn't know what a (photographic) slide was. That was depressing. (I challenged him to find out what "slide show" in PowerPoint vernacular meant -- then he understood better.)</p>

<p>My local camera club has been pushing hard on digital projection. Several members and me are distinctly unimpressed: image quality is nowhere near what we want, there's too much faffing around getting software to work and the operators are inept, regularly showing us the other delights on their laptops that we really don't want to see.</p>

<p>The club 'elders' are a little irritated that a die hard core refuse to give up on a projector and tray of slides, but grudgingly agree that these often look better than a digital image. However, a suggestion that the club uses a large flat screen monitor was universally met with derision since it would be much smaller than a projection screen (and would appear tiny from a distance) and didn't need a particularly dark room - the latter being a significant part of a film/slide show. Overall, most members want to see slides but here are fobbed off with, what is at the moment at least, second best . . . .</p>

<p>Didier, your mountain shots would look fantastic when projected, particularly that one from last year with several climbers clustering near some peak. I have a projector and screen and haven't used it for years. I still might buy a good projector. Storing mounted slides is such a nuisance that I have recently been getting my E6 in rolls and cutting it for archive sleeves. I would need to hand mount my slides from NZ for instance.....Good that you set me thinking again about this strategy of mine. I might regret it.</p>

<p>i only shoot slide film. i haven't ever had the urge to go digital. and in fact i just received my brand new leica p300 with colorplan lens from ffordes.com (very helpful and service is great). i upgraded it from my 8 year old leica p150. it makes such a big difference with the improved lighting and the extra 100 watts of illumination.</p>

<p>i also have a few rolls of black and white film that i'm planning to send into dr5.com to turn into transparencies. if i like the results i'll definately be shooting more black and white film.</p>

<p>i also have a medium format projector but have only used it once. i'm now thinking that i'll start using my rollei camera to shoot 'superslides' with glassless mounts that can be bought from frugal photographers so i can view square slides on my 35mm leica p300. </p>

<p>i know of no other way to enjoy photography more than with projection. so many people out there have no idea what they are missing. it's really too bad.</p>

<p>Yes. Once and awhile - at my parents house when we are all gathered. I leave my projector in my old room there (I believe it's a Leica Pradovit 250).</p>

<p>We then break out my father's 16mm home movies he took in the 50's through the 70's on his Revere 16mm camera and project them through a circa. late-40's <a href="http://www.agassiztrading.com/cameras-film/projectors/16mm-projectors/keystone-k160.htm">Keystone Model K-160 16mm projector</a> . Now those are fun to watch!</p>

<p>I can remember the sounds and the smells of the projector, film, and screen. Brings back memories.</p>

<p>Can't afford a MF projector. But,I love showing the smaller slides. Have leaned towards the superslide and 828 slides more than 35, though. Dad said that I will inherit his several Kodak carousel projectors. The few times I shoot color in MF,it's always slide film. He gave me all of his old Minolta SLRs. With it, came 2 microscope attachments. Need to get a microscope for it.</p>

<p>In my opinion there is nothing to beat a good quality slide projected on a screen. On a holiday to Scotland in 1971 my mother suggested that my future wife shoot transparencies instead of negatives in her Kodak Instamatic 126. A week after returning home two boxes of processed Kodachromes dropped through the letter box and in due course a 35mm projector was purchased. This was a defining moment for me, I 'caught the bug' and became an avid photographer.<br>

I'm afraid that most newcomers to photography who go straight into digital will miss the joy of a projected slide.<br>

One thing has puzzled me since I first took an interest in photography. I have never seen a medium format slide projector reviewed in the press or even seen one on sale.</p>

<p>Just did it over Xmas with my "kids". As wonderful as it is as people have noted let's not forget the disadvantages of boxes of slides:<br /><br />a. If you are using Kodak carousel circular storage you have to have a lot of space to hold them since 80 slides takes up a lot of space.<br />b. I use the the Kodak stacker mechanism which means I can keep my slides in free of the carousel but this mechanism is sensitive to slide thickness so misfeeds are frequent and annoying.<br /><br />c. Getting all of your slides oriented so none show up side ways or upside down requires pre planning and work<br /><br />d. Why is is that slides even inside of a box are dust magnets?<br>

e. I had forgotten how noisy a Kodak projector is with that fan running. Gives new meaning to the phrase white noise.<br>

f. Finding a particular slide or even year unless you are really well organized is near impossible.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong. There were plenty of wet eyes and laughs as we went through our family history via slides and I hope my kids will be able to enjoy the same experience although the digital age brings lots of unseen pitfalls e.g. I hope they don't lose their digital memories because they forget to move their digital memories up to the latest storage medium. In 50 years will there be anyone who will have a DVD drive?<br>

If I had my choice and could magically digitize a life's worth of memories I would rather see them on my HD TV and avoid <br />A - F. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I do it all the time! My family and friends always enjoy the slides I have taken, years ago I got disappointed with color prints from commercial labs, and stuck exclusively to 35mm slide film. We also have a sizeable collection of Kodachromes and Ektachromes from our childhood taken by my dad, and my kids love to see those as well. I only have a Vivitar 5000AF projector, and even that's plenty for me to still think that I haven't seen anything better than a properly exposed slide projected on screen. My childhood memories are from a Ansco projector that huffed and puffed due to pneumatic controls, as well as a really tiny Minolta projector with a manual adapter where you fed one slide while you watched another. Having sideways and upside down slides once in a while is part of the charm of a slide show, isn't it :-)? Now I have a Rollei 6x6 projector, and have just started shooting some MF slides. Can't wait to see what a treat that will be!</p>

MF slide mounts are expensive and hard to come by. This means I can't afford to mount every frame in a roll, only the good ones. Which creates a dilemma-- do I cut out the keepers for mounting, and create orphan frames that are difficult to file, or do I mount every frame, not just keepers?