Do you still have your DX lenses?

RaymondC

2013 a bit later than some I moved to FX dSLR. I haven't really used my DX D70 and the DX lenses. I have sold off several FX and DX lenses but kept my Sigma 10-20 and my Nikon 35mm F1.8 DX thinking those were the most important ones and well into the future I could get a cheap body and pair it up. Doesn't seem too realistic though.

Do you still have your DX lenses?

Cheers.

I only had a few and yes I still have them and still have a crop camera. IMHO good lenses and good bodies don't get disposed of just because of some new technological achievement. Otherwise why would there be a resurgence in film and old Leica cameras and lenses selling for high prices..
  • Like 4

my Sigma 10-20

Which version?

It was my first lens where I could stand in the corner of a room and see both walls without daft amounts of distortion.

Sold it about 5 years ago when I mostly went FX and got a great deal on the 8>15 fisheye zoom. Although I admit, I don't use that very often....;)

For fast, mostly outdoor, equestrian sports, I still use my D500 with the Sigma 50-100mm f1.8.

I still have a few around, nothing noteworthy. Mirrorless solves one of my complaints about DX: the small viewfinder image. So, on occasion I think about getting a Z50 and a small lens or two as a travel setup. But that combo probably is not smaller/lighter enough compared to my Z FF & selected small lenses to warrant the purchase. Edited by robert_bouknight|1
  • Like 1

I've used a Nikon 18-200 DX lens since 2007...still use it very often for outdoor walks where I don't have a particular subject in mind, and for a lot of general work. This lens has been a real workhorse for me.

I can't vouch for others, but my particular copy of this lens is quite sharp and the images are very acceptable. I actually use it a lot with FX cameras. Some FX cameras shadow the unused portion of the viewfinder, making DX lenses easy to use.

IMHO good lenses and good bodies don't get disposed of just because of some new technological achievement.

Agreed!

Yes, I do. Tamron 10-24 VC and Nikon 16-80 VR. Intended to be along "just in case" when I am out shooting with the D500 and the 200-500 or 500PF - though more often than not, they stay home nowadays. For the last year or so it appears I am using my D850 (with the 500PF) more than I do the D500 but I am not certain I am ready to let the whole DX set go quite yet. If (or more likely when) I decide to get the Z9 it is very likely that most of my F-mount camera bodies and lenses will be sold off.

are worth much more to me than what KEH would pay for them.

In the past year or so I have sold to keh twice and both times didn't get as much as I expected - I really miss the local Samy's where real deals could be made.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

Other systems but my goal had always been to get a kit of maybe 3, at least 2, shootable cameras together, to avoid lens juggling (at least in good light). 10-14MP crop bodies seem good enough for some jobs and by now cheap enough for higher risk travelling. My system switching attempts were too badly timed to sell old stuff off, so I kept everything k-mount and updated my 6MP bodies with used ones.

I have the following DX lenses:

• Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 fisheye
  • Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • Nikon DX AF-P 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • Nikon DX AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
  • Tokina AT-X Pro 14-20mm f/2
  • Sigma Art 50-100mm f1.8
  • Nikon DX AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G (non-VR version)

The NIKKOR lenses mostly don't get used. The prime and AF-P zooms are slated to be used on a D3300, D3400, D5500, or D5600 -- whichever DSLR I can get a deal on for a low mileage copy. My plan is to have an inexpensive but capable DX kit that I can take out on a kayak and not worry too much if it ends up in the water.

The Tokina and Sigma lenses, along with my Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28mm f/1.8G constitute my D500 lens kit. My main issue with the Sigma is that its bokeh can be a bit ugly, so I find myself occasionally using the blur tool too soften that up when the combination of the level of detail and display size accentuate it (my hypothesis for this is that the lens is formulated to render lots of detail and it ends up sacrificing a smooth bokeh in exchange for that).

Tokina AT-X Pro 14-20mm f/2 at 14mm:

_TB38030.jpg

Sigma Art 50-100mm f/1.8 at 50mm:

_TB58235_Photonet.jpg

I do have a D800, but I actually much prefer using my D500, and I don't think that's going to change when I hopefully get a D850 (maybe this summer).

• Like 3

Yes, I do. Tamron 10-24 VC and Nikon 16-80 VR. Intended to be along "just in case" when I am out shooting with the D500 and the 200-500 or 500PF - though more often than not, they stay home nowadays. For the last year or so it appears I am using my D850 (with the 500PF) more than I do the D500 but I am not certain I am ready to let the whole DX set go quite yet. If (or more likely when) I decide to get the Z9 it is very likely that most of my F-mount camera bodies and lenses will be sold off.

In the past year or so I have sold to keh twice and both times didn't get as much as I expected - I really miss the local Samy's where real deals could be made.

Contact me first when and if you decide to get rid of your D850.

I have three DX lenses, and I bought all three around 2004 and 2005, a few years before I bought my first FX body, the D700. After that, I mainly use DX bodies with long teles and don't put DX lenses on them any more. I have not used my 12-24mm/f4 DX and 17-55mm/f2.8 DX for years. The 10.5mm/f2.8 DX is the only fisheye lens I have so far and I still use it occasionally.

Nowadays, I don't even use my FX DSLRs for wide-angle work any more. I prefer Z mirrorless for that and mostly use native Z-mount wide angles.

Yes, for use with my D500 and D5600!

• Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 10-20mm F4.5-5.6G VR
  • Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR
  • Nikon AF-P DX Nikkor 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
  • Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8
  • Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF
  • Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-6.3G ED VR
  • Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G
  • Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm F4-5.6G VR II
  • Sigma 4.5mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Circular Fisheye
  • Tokina AT-X 14-20mm F2 Pro DX
  • Tokina atx-i 11-20mm F2.8 CF

I also just recently added the:

• Tokina AT-X Pro 50-135mm f/2.8 DX,

which is an absolutely amazing lens!

This lens along with the Tokina 11-20 f/2.8 and the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 make a perfect DX "Trinity" lens set!

Edited by FPapp
  • Like 1