Do you still have old Nikons that you no longer use?

RaymondC

I still have my D70 shoulda sold it in 2013 when I went FX in retrospect. I have a F100 FM2n still shoot the odd film but sadly slides are so expensive now. I just prefer slides because WYSIWYG whereas color neg opens up to a lot of possibilities in editing after scan. If one went to a photogenic place admired by locals and foreigners then you know if you got the shot or not and not a maybe that I could just play around with the file in post. I shoot BW but not that ideally.

As a hobbyist, I don't have a strong urge to get mirrorless Z. Spent enough already and dSLR works for me it does what I need. It might not be as cool. I don't do video. If it is travel I prefer something more compact anyway.

Cheers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have and continue to use F, F2, and Nikkormat EL. Owned F from early 1960s, and others for many decades. Appreciate the small size of F and F2 with simple prism finders. Almost pocketable. The photonics finders were bulky and unwieldy. These cameras are rugged and trouble free. Never felt the need to upgrade.

Recently acquired an S2 rf camera. Camera in excellent condition after friend corrected rangefinder and reluctant return of advance lever began to work normally after much exercise. S2 now like new.

Nikon film cameras have a justified reputation for being extremely reliable. While not owning later models, have never read of serious complaints about quality of Nikon products. On the other hand my wife’s digital Nikon died at end of warranty period.

• Like 1

And not just old NIkons -

at the last updating I have over 200 film cameras together with many lenses and such.

Since I lost local C41 processing, since old age, illness, and COVID, the little shooting I do is mostly digital.

It's kind of sad, isn't it?o_O

• Like 1

Sold all my Nikon bodies and all but a couple F-mount lenses. You just can't (shouldn't?) keep everything. Bodies gum up with age and disuse. Lenses get oily diaphragms and grow fungus. I do my own service but it can become a time-consuming chore. Almost none of it was appreciating, in fact, the opposite. Until I did it, it was a huge mental hurdle. Some of my lenses went back to high school or college, being the first new ones I ever bought. I loved my FM and F3HP, but hadn't shot film in well over a decade. If I ever do decide to shoot film again, and I'd like to, large and medium format has way more appeal than 35mm. IMO, there isn't anything 35mm film does better than modern digital. With large format I can use swings and tilts and just enjoy a very leisurely process. Even coating my own film would be possible, if I had to.

One place where I don't think digital prints are quite there is stereo cards. You can get an incredibly high resolution small print that can be viewed under magnification very easily with wet process, but I don't think a digital print will be as good. Not sure how to get from a digital image to a wet print (easily) but haven't really investigated it.

• Like 1

D300, F4, 2 Nikkormats and a bag full of lenses. And a couple of drawers and shelves of other brands too. All great cameras, not planning to get rid of any of them, in spite of their not getting much exercise in the day of mirrorless bodies.

I am less modern than @mike_halliwell and do in fact own one entire Nikon, a Coolpix 990. - It has never been a camera I would have lusted after, for my personal use, but since I had been jobbing with it for a couple of years, I had to give it a home, for sentimental reasons, when it got tossed out at work.

I didn't sell my 6MP DSLRs either. When the first one became obsolete for me, i.e. my 4th body, besides a bit outdated, its value must have been below 10%. Why bother to sell? There is no tax on camera posession (yet).

I suck at decluttering but when it comes to cameras: Two are one, one is none. Have something backup, when you try to do a job or got robbed on vacation or simply fail to pack your bag. 6MP will take pictures, minimalism won't.

• Like 2

Film - silver F with photomic head, another with plain prism. Black F2 with plain prism, silver F2 with photomic head. Nikkormat FT and FTN. Silver FM. F90X with grip.

Digital - D700 and a D7100 which arrived yesterday.

Strangely enough I'm not a long time Nikon person, I used Minoltas for many years culminating with a Sony Alpha 900. It's only fairly recently that I gravitated towards Nikon as a collector and user.

• Like 1

Film - silver F with photomic head, another with plain prism. Black F2 with plain prism, silver F2 with photomic head. Nikkormat FT and FTN. Silver FM. F90X with grip.

Digital - D700 and a D7100 which arrived yesterday.

Strangely enough I'm not a long time Nikon person, I used Minoltas for many years culminating with a Sony Alpha 900. It's only fairly recently that I gravitated towards Nikon as a collector and user.

I would want an A900 but used price is kind of high.

I’ve got quite a few digital bodies going back to the D1X and D100. Can’t get much for them so might as well keep them. I’ve also got a couple F2’s, N90’s, F4s’s, some Nikkormats and plenty of glass. They are all in use and packed to travel, plenty of film and the darkroom is ready. Then there’s some medium format….Often digital just makes more sense but I still feel more involved in the final product using film and a darkroom.

Rick H.

• Like 1

John Seaman's Sony Alpha 900.

I bought the A900 new for £1600 - which included staff discount a friend who worked at Jessop's got for me. I'd collected a number of nice Minolta lenses dirung a time when they were cheap as no compatible DSLR was available. Sadly like most of my cameras it rarely leaves the bag these days.

I bought the A900 new for £1600 - which included staff discount a friend who worked at Jessop's got for me. I'd collected a number of nice Minolta lenses dirung a time when they were cheap as no compatible DSLR was available. Sadly like most of my cameras it rarely leaves the bag these days.

1600 pounds is only $2200 and a used A900 on Ebay is about $900.

(snip)

One place where I don't think digital prints are quite there is stereo cards. You can get an incredibly high resolution small print that can be viewed under magnification very easily with wet process, but I don't think a digital print will be as good. Not sure how to get from a digital image to a wet print (easily) but haven't really investigated it.

Ink jets are pretty good, but as close as you look for stereo, maybe not good enough.

Commercial labs for small prints are either wet or dye sublimation, both of which might be good enough.

I believe Shutterfly still does wet prints for the usual sized photo paper prints and cards.

(If they say Fuji Crystal Archive on the back, then you know.)

-- glen