Do you shoot run-n'-gun dSLR video?

MichaelChang

<p>How do you go about it, if you do? </p>

<p>I shoot with a handheld cage with a handle. The cage has a bunch of 1/4-20 threads to mount accessories, and rails for barn doors if I choose. It gets pretty weighty and not very easy to maneuver any higher than chest height, but I prefer it over a shoulder rig which I find too restrictive.</p>

<p>For audio, I use a <a href="http://tascam.com/product/dr-60dmkii/">Tascam DR-60D MK2</a> with a rig-mounted shotgun mic to one channel, and a stereo ambiance mic for room sound. </p>

<p>I use prime lenses and focusing can be a problem under low light if I have to work quickly; I don't use external monitors. </p>

<p>Everything is powered with 18650 battery banks that either outputs 5V USB, or I tap the parallel 3.7V internal cells connected to buck-boost converters to obtain other voltages. The rig can be powered for a full day easily. </p>

<p>For fixed location use, I would mount the rig on a tripod with articulating arms to mount LED lights, tablet, or anything else required. </p>

<p>It's quite a Rube Goldberg way of substituting a camcorder and I do hope someone will come out with a DSLR more configured for video. <br>

</p>

<p>Yes, and it all sounds very familiar. I make it even more complex by rigging up a DJI Ronin active gimbal to mount the camera. Very nice, steady results ... but even more moving parts. I put an external monitor on the "handle bars" of the rig. For shoulder-style work, I've given in and started using a proper video camera. The one I chose still isn't an ergonomic delight, but it's a lot easier to get along with than a DSLR. Still, the DSLR is very handy in a lot of situations, and I mount them on gimbal-style rigs, hang them under heavier-lifting drones, and of course always have one in the bag to shoot stills, and sometimes just pull it out and brace it for some quick video. <br /><br />Otherwise, yes - you need a pretty complex cinema-style rig to put a DSLR into that role. It's not very pretty!</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I do. Usually thinking about more gear, but when I am on location thinking about climbing the mountains with heavy tripod or other equipment. So it usually ends up with handheld shooting without anything, just hands.<br>

With some trainings it goes smooth even without image stabilization lense.<br>

Check out my reel: <a href="

Most shots where made handheld. Or some small monitor mount attached to the bottom of camera.</p>