Do you own a Panasonic GX7 and Nissin i40?

I own a Panasonic GX7 and a Nissin i40 flashgun which I would like to learn to use manually. My problem is that no matter what I do, when the flash is attached to the camera, the firing mode is set to TTL and the manual option is greyed out and unavailable. I have tried numerous times to set the menu to Manual Firing mode but to no avail. My question is, if I take a photograph with the camera stuck on TTL Firing Mode but with the flash set to Manual am I actually setting the flash exposure manually? Or would I actually be in TTL mode with the camera overriding the flash output and calculating the exposure?

I'd be very grateful for any help. Thanks.

I do not have that particular flash, but to use manual settings I turn the mode dial to Manual which allows me to select aperture and shutter. Would this not do what you have in mind. I do not go into menus to achieve manual settings is my first thought. I have to give this more thought and try to visualize your object. I typically use auto mode or TTL in flash and set it up with manual to get a slower shutter speed. Now you got me re thinking thoughts or have another coffee this AM.

OK. What I see now. Jerry. The menu choice refers to the on board flash and is not applicable to the add on hot shoe flash. Unless my experiment is off, that should explain how the flash and camera will connect. Try the program mode for manual and then make your settings on the flash to achieve what you wish. I usually go for auto or TTL on my shoe flash. When no add on flash is there, the manual choice is not grayed out...see.. Give it a shot or two..gs

Hi Gerry, Thanks for taking the time to reply. As you also only have TTL as an option if an external flash is connected to the camera then I'm hoping that the firing mode menu-setting only applies to the on-board flash. It would certainly make life easier if that is the case i.e. just making the settings on the flash rather than having to go into menu settings each time you want to switch modes. Thanks again.
  • Like 1