Do you miss the pre 5D Mark II days ?

hjoseph7

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't put EF-S lenses on it, it doesn't have a built in flash and it doesn't have body based image stabilization. The Sony has more pixels, a built in flash and can use the Sony/Minolta APS-C coverage lenses, plus it has body based stabilization (up to 4 stops) so you can have a stabilized system with a 50/1.4 lens that can be hand held down to maybe 1/4s.

If you look hard enough, there's plenty of opportunity for moaning and complaining about the shortcomings of the 5D MkII, as I'm sure we will see in the coming days.

I also certainly agree that we will soon be discussing whether to get a 5D MkII or wait and see what Canon offer in the 1Ds MkIV, which can't be far away now (PMA perhaps?).

Only very slightly tongue in cheek. I really would like to see Canon offer body based stabilization. It's quite compatible with IS lenses as long as you only have one of the IS systems operating at one time.

The EF-S lens issue is also only sightly tongue in cheek. Both Nikon and Sony allow the use of existing APS-C coverage lenses on their full frame DSLRs, with the camera operating in a crop sensor mode. Due to the EF-S lens design (which I think hasn't really improved the lenses much), this is semi-impossible for Canon to do.

So while the 5D MkII looks like a great camera, perhaps the best "affordable" full frame camera, it's certainly not perfect and those looking for faults or omissions will certainly be able to find some.

Here's another one. I believe that both the Nikon and Sony can wirelessly control an off camera flash (via their built in flash). With Canon not only do you not have a built in flash, even if you did (like the 40D/50D etc.) you still can't control an off camera flash without adding a 550/580 series speedlite or wireless flash controller.

"Some good points Bob, so why don't we all switch to Nikon?"

Well, the D700 is only 12MP, so 5D owners don't need to bother!

My lenses won't fit on the Sony and I can't afford to buy a whole new set of lenses, so I guess I'll just stick with Canon for a while. I think I'll keep my 40D and 5D for a while though. My Powershot A720is shoots pretty decent movies and if they're not good enough my Canon ZR 80 makes excellent movies, has an 18x zoom lens and can record for two hours. It also uses the same BP511/512 batteries as my 40D and 5D, so I only need one set of batteries and one charger. It's also small enough to slip into my pocket or a lens pouch.

Don't get me wrong, as I said, I think the 5D MkII is great. Not perfect, but very good.

I'll venture a guess that the current 5D will be remembered as a classic. Not perfect by any means, but a workhorse

camera. Other than the Digic IV processor, too many bells and whistles on the 5DMII; the pixel-count race reminds me of

the gigahertz race with computers not too long ago. I'll be looking for the (hopefully) next rebate on the 5D to get one before

they're gone.

"Due to the EF-S lens design (which I think hasn't really improved the lenses much), this is semi-impossible for Canon to do."

The EF-S lens design was not done to "improve" lenses, it was done to lower lens cost slightly and to allow another mm or so on the wide angle range of zooms.

Photo.net is nothing like dpReview. If you want it to be, we can start 18 threads about why adding movie mode will overheat the sensor and melt the camera, or all the good and useful "potential" features that Canon allegedly had to drop from the camera in order to be able to add movie mode...

"The EF-S lens design was not done to "improve" lenses, it was done to lower lens cost slightly and to allow another mm or so on the wide angle range of zooms."

Unfortunately, you are wrong. The EF-S lens design has a shorter back focus distance, which means that the rear element of the lens can be closer to the sensor. In turn that means that wideangle lens design can be slighly less retrofocus, which in turn means that in theory image quality can be improved. If you knew your Canon history, you would know that improved image quality was Canon's selling point for the EF-S lens design. Otherwise they could simply have done like Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, Nikon, Pentax and Sony and kept the same backfocus distance. The consequence of moving the rear element position back necesitated protecting it with an extension of the lens housing into the camera body. A full frame reflex mirror would then have hit it, so Canon modified the lens mount so that you couldn't mount an EF-S lens on a full frame (or 1.3x) body to prevent mirror and lens damage.

The redesigned EF-S lens mount was never to done to lower lens cost or allow a wider zoom. The sigma 10-22 doesn't extend into the camera body like the EF-S 10-22 does, neither does the new Tamron 10-24. Canon could easily have used the EF mount by using similar optical designs to those used by Sigma and Tamron.

So please don't post bad information in the forums. There's enough in here already without adding more.

Bob Atkins - Technical Editor, Photo.net