Do you listen to music when processing images?

<p>I almost always have some music on when I am processing images.. it is usually classical or jazz ,or anything in-between...</p>

<p>...and when that happens, my image-processing is thoroughably enjoyable, I take time over things and just enjoy the process...BUT the pot on the stove gets forgotten, phone-calls go by unanswered, more important jobs get postponed, I smoke substantially lesss (or more) sometimes...</p>

<p>At the moment ~ I'm just 'doing' photo.net , and the music I have on is Bobby McFerrin's amazing new album called VOCAbuLarieS.</p>

<p>Nope I have the TV on in the background and if it is off I don't miss it... If I am in an altered mood I may have some Meatloaf on but I don't even own a stereo these days... My music is played through my DVD player or my Computer... though I do have an 8 track player and a turn table in the closet. :-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Most music these days is noise and just a way to keep my eyes off the area</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The only music you have access to is from "these days" and you can actually see the sound waves? I'm mot impressed by the first part but am by the second.</p>

<p>I have to say that I take music very seriously and feel that it deserves utmost attention. Similarly, if you deeply care about what you have shot, take it seriously and give it the respect it deserves. If you are finding it difficult to concentrate then perhaps you are not enjoying the process so much. If it is a chore surely it is not worth doing?</p>

<p>Hi folks</p>

<p>Love this kinda question! Music is a HUGE part of my life, nearly as big as taking photographs for me. I'm starting to become a wee bit confident with photo-editing (using Canon DPP and Elements 6) and, of course, i have music on my prized/cherished Arcam Hi-Fi system to keep me company ... Usually classical, Mahler or Shostakovich or Schumann or Beethoven .... I love original movie scores and have hundreds of them, so i'm often enjoying a John Williams night or a Jerry Goldsmith or a Bernard Herrmann (monochrome mood!) .... I play in a brass band (UK) so i listen to much serious brass band repetoire - thoroughly recommend folks, if you haven't yet experienced the sonorities of a good brass band, it's high-time some of you did! Finally, being a Gael i love to listen to Gaelic song and traditional music, pipes and harp etc, very beautiful and deeply beautiful - often providing a haunting and happy 'soundtrack' to the many photos of the Scottish Western Isles that i have on my hard-drive .... </p>

<p>As i said, i've only very recently begun to get confident with actually performing some basic edits on my photos ..... But whether i am tentatively and nervously/excitedly editing one of my own images or simply enjoying viewing my 'galleries', or the many many stunning photos on Photo.net, or on other internet photography sites .... I love to have beautiful and evocative music to keep me and the images company! </p>

<p>Best wishes to all :-)) <br>

Donaldo<br>

Ps ~ Anyone who wishes to start a photography/music joint appreciation society? I'm interested .... :-))</p>

<p>Music is vital to my process. With what most of the world calls ADD, but what I like to call USTA (Unlimited Stream Thinking Ability), my brain needs some amount of chaos filling enough of the channels that the ones dedicated to the processing get enough priority to focus on the job. Look! A bird! I usually start with vinyl. When having to change the record gets too distracting, I switch to internet radio. I switch genre depending on what I'm doing, the time of day, and the emotion of what I'm working on. I'll play classical, baroque, blues, country, romantic, dixieland, blue grass, celtic, rock (old, new, southern, hard, soft, metal), disco, cajun, gospel, even chanting monks occasionally. If it has discernable rythym and melody, I'll play it. Usually it will be blues or 60's and 70's rock. There's nothing like the latin profanity of Carmina Burana and a cup of coffee to start the day, followed by pick me up doses of Free and "All Right Now" or anything by Lynyrd Skynrd.</p>

<p>Absolutely! Pandora is great, in my opinion, because it introduces me to new groups and artists that I would never have come across otherwise. When I am processing, I am not too focused on the music I am listening to - it becomes ambient noise, for the most part. Then, once in a while, I will hear a song that I immediately fall in love with, and I can take note of it.</p>

<p>It's odd, I always have some fairly gentle acoustic folk/rock on in the darkroom(David Gray, Gillian Welch), but almost never anything playing while I'm at the computer, maybe I should try it!</p>

<blockquote>I printed with W. Eugene Smith in his darkroom in Tucson one time and he liked classical or Jazz cranked way up.</blockquote>

<p>Michael: What a neat experience! Have you heard about his jazz loft and the massive amount of tape he recorded ?</p>

<p>I have a Sony 6 CD boombox in the darkroom so I usually get tired, or if printing exhaust the developer long before I run out of music. I still like the 80's music of 10,000 Maniacs (Natalie Merchant lead vocals). I also listen to Great Big Sea (from Newfoundland), Captain Tractor (their 90's stuff), Rod Stewart, R.E.M. (old and new), various oldies mainly from the 60's.</p>