Do you go out alone or with a buddy?

katherinemichael

Hi all. I was curious as to whether most nature photographers (at least the ones posting here) go out shooting alone or with a buddy. I

typically go alone: a fact that seems to terrify my friends and family. I'm not talking about camping or hardcore backpacking, just going

out to a state park or preserve early in the morning and hiking about. I have never even thought twice about going by myself, but I was

wondering how other people handled it. Thanks!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two things to think about, People, and Nature. By far I prefer to deal with nature than with bad people. So it depends on where you hike. A friend of mine broke his ankle while hiking 50 miles from trail head. He hiked back with the help of his partner ! Near where I go to school in the city there have been 2 rapes in the last month (both late at night).

Risk management is first about knowing what kinds of risks there are near you.

i usually go out with my dog(s)..they dont care how long i want to sit and shoot something...or how long i want to be there or where i go they just like being with me....as for being safe alone..they wont let anyone within 10 ft of me and since they weigh...80 and 129 lbs i feel pretty safe.... as far as natural dangers...i have trained the dogs to run ahead of me thus scaring or revealing any snakes in the path and i am very careful as to where i walk i find using a walking stick to very helpful have found several hidden snakes that way.....i also go camping by myself with a dog or 2 and never feel threatened...

I tend to work mostly alone, so that I can go where I want and spend however much time I want without having to be concerned about someone else - it allows me the freedom that I feel is required for really getting down to business. That said, I do photograph with others from time to time. A group of people in my area, an informal club if you will, head out once a month and who ever shows up shows up. We shoot around an area for a bit and then head off to grab some lunch - it's very informal. Other than that, as I said, I tend to work alone.

- Randy

Katherine

I almost always go by myself, despite living in Alaska and wandering some fairly remote places. Misplaced sense of security? I think not but have 43 years of experience in our landscape and around our animals, I feel OK with it.

Having seen a lot of photographers come and go at Denali, and in Alaska, I would say the vast majority go in tandem, probably for the company and the sharing of expenses. I do think that there is a sense security for some of them, who do not know the wilderness or wildlife. I would say people are better off in many outdoor circumstances with a partner, as people mentioned, acidents happen. One of the resons I don't like group photography is that everyone gets the same photo.

I suspect there is another aspect to your question to consider, and that is gender. This summer I met a young woman, 21-22, who was traveling around Alaska by herself and camping in remote places, a very avid, determined photographer. I put her on to a great place to go for aurora viewing and photography. I asked her if she had had any bad experiences with our fine examples of Alaskan malehood. The answer "as many outdoors as in town." She allowed she had to abandon some plans when the bubbas showed up. (I admitted that that was a good idea because Alaska is not Eden and we have more than our share of heavy-duty crimes against people and property.) I told her that I, too, have given up and left some locations because of the same circumstance, but allowed the risk might be different and greater for her, a young, attractive, woman alone. I hated to make this about gender but I admired her greatly, her courage and determination, a girl from Massachusettes. Hell, some guys would not do what she had done and was doing.

I guess, the short answer is, everything has risks, and you just need to assess what is acceptable to you and act accordingly. Myself? I am scared of big cities, and inner city people, give me a grizzly bear anytime, they are more predictable.

Tom Walker

I rarely shoot with anyone else for a variety of reasons. The pace, in every sense, is mine...be it hiking, shooting, lunchbreak, etc. I keep odd hours, often leaving the house at 2-4am, drive 90 minutes, hike 3-5 miles for sunrise shots...into very steep and rugged terrain and wouldn't want to be responsible for another's injuries. I'll have an afternoon snooze and shoot at sunset, making for a long 20+ hour day. Most aren't interested in that schedule. I go solo on both day-hikes and multi-day adventures. There aren't many people (but bears, rattlesnakes, etc.) to give me grief. I'm not a gal so your concerns may be different as it relates to bad hombres...I can empathize with your friends/family.

A cell phone has limited reception. Sat phones are very expensive but will do nothing to avoid tumbles, bears and bad hombres. There are significant pros/cons associated with firearms. The most significant being they (often!) end up in the hands of the bad guy. Owning/carrying a sidearm is a MAJOR committment to: 1) proper instruction, 2) regular practice, 3) formulating a plan and 4) sticking to the plan in the heat of the moment. 'Tis a shame we are forced to ponder such thoughts but the reality is we live amongst naughty people.

Hi Katherine,

I don't shoot a lot of nature, but have been trying to document my little rural community (which means water towers, peanuts and corn). I'd prefer to shoot alone and do it most of the time, but find some areas (even in the country) intimidating and end up dragging my husband along. He's quite patient, but I still leave feeling rushed.

One simply has to remember that any location can be used as an opportunity for a predator. Follow your gut. If you ever feel uncomfortable, get out. I like the suggestion of a dog too.

Laura

I usually go alone, as I have for many years. There's usually opportunity to meet other photographers in choice spots..so alone is sort of an oxymoron. I've never had problems in state or national parks. Private lands or long hikes (25-100 mi) passing thru private property, both in the USA and overseas, I've also done alone and with groups with no problems. I think if your family has concerns, or in the back of your mind you have reservations, why not try going with a friend a couple of times...both for safety and companionship. You might find that you enjoy it.

i have yet to meet anyone who was interested in going where i go and doing what i do. i never let that stop me. i have fallen in the creek a couple of times, but never drowned my camera -- yet. it does put it in mind, however, that one can meet with misfortune out in the woods. the seriousness of the situation can vary from comical to deadly. my advice is not to get yourself in a situation you can't get yourself out of. that's probably more prudent advice than to live every day as though it's your last. certainly, you can find your comfort zone somewhere between safe and sorry..

I usually go out alone. Sometimes because I like to, but mostly because I haven't really found anyone who was interested in getting up early and simply enjoying the day. Sometimes having a plan is good, but I hate being so structured that you can't take advantage of other opportunities or a have a bit of spontaneity once in a while. If I could find someone as interested in enjoying what nature provided on a given day and not so worried about if they had better equipment than the other guy, or lack the patience to take a few extra shots of an Egret that posing nicely because they already got one they liked, I may be more inclined to look for a buddy. I love nature and I love photography. I insist on being allowed to enjoy both when I am out, even if I don't make it to every possible location that day.

Don't be afraid to go by yourself..As others have said be prepared..

This includes being as physically fit as possible..Fitness is seldom mentioned in these forums..Virtually every

accident or error in judgment that has occurred to me in the outdoors has been exacerbated by being less fit than

I should have been..In many instances, the accident itself was the direct result of a lack of fitness..Many times

a lack of fitness will lead directly to an error in judgment..

That being said, I ALWAYS carry a basic survival kit with me REGARDLESS of the terrain being hiked, the time of

year, the distance being hiked from immediate help, & whether or not I choose to hike alone or with others..

My basic kit is as follows & is contained in the bottom compartment of a small day pack:

1- polypropylene long-sleeved undershirt---

1- polypropylene long john bottoms---

1- polypropylene balaclava face mask---

1- spare pair(s) of socks for the time of year & the boots that I'm wearing (multiple pairs if I'm layering socks)---

1- pair of polypropylene gloves---

1- pair of synthetic leather gloves that will comfortably fit over the polypropylene gloves---

1- high-quality light-weight rain suit with billed hood, full-length zippered legs, & zippered underarm & back

vents---

1- high-quality folding knife with a 3-4" locking blade that will reliably stay locked open & that is kept RAZOR

sharp---

1- small 1/4" x 4" x 2" diamond sharpening stone---

1- self-coiling wire saw with rings on the ends for handles (diamond impregnated rules here, but is expensive)---

1- waterproof match safe with a supply of waterproof matches---

1- small waterproof container with a screw-top lid containing 20 or so cotton balls soaked in Vaseline---

1- of those fire starters that will cause lots of sparks when struck with the back of the folding knife---

1- jumbo-sized container of plain dental floss (for making small diameter cordage)---

1- small container containing variously-shaped needles for sewing fabric & a small awl with an antler handle---

1- bundle of parachute cord measuring 100-200 feet long (amount carried depends on how far from help I'm hiking)---

1- small roll of duct tape (can be used for many things, including holding wounds together)---

1- small high-quality personal water purifier with a fresh filter---

1- small, but complete first aid kit, including needles & sutures along with liquid sutures---

4-12 energy bars sealed in foil & plastic (I look for ones that cause the least amount of constipation)

I generally carry at least 2 1-liter bottles filled with water when I hike along with any camera equipment & the

food that I anticipate needing for the duration of that particular hike..

Bruce

Thanks to all for the replies. I have never been afraid to go anywhere alone. I have always gone out to shoot by myself,

both because I prefer it and because I don't know anyone else who would even be interested in going where I go. I used

to do lots of urban shooting. That always made me more nervous than hiking out in the woods. There is risk of course, people do get

seriously hurt

hiking and camping.

My mom always said to

me growing up that as a woman I always needed to watch my own back, no matter where I was. It's not that I have

never thought about what could happen, I have. I just try to be as prepared as possible for any situation and like William

said, not get myself into a situation that I can't handle. We definitely have natural hazards here in Florida and bad

hombres too. For the first I just try to be informed and careful. I also now carry a little survival type kit. For the second,

I have only had one strange run-in and a couple of instances where my gut said "no good" and I avoided the situation all

together. Nothing ever came of it, but I suppose a self-defense class wouldn't hurt and might make my family feel

better. I guess the concerns took on a different tone for me after I had my son. Kids change the way you view the

world. That being said, if I let the idea of all the bad things that might happen and all the horrible stories that the news

media shoves in our face get under my skin I'd never leave my house. What kind of life is that?

I appreciate everyones input. I was just curious about what other people did. Nobody I know does what I do so they all think I'm insane.

Thanks!

Katherine

Bruce-

I just saw your kit list. WOW! I do carry a kit now but I never thought of some of those things. I carry a compass, first-

aid supplies, a poncho, one of those emergency blankets, matches sealed in a ziplock bag and a folding knife. Duct

tape is a good idea. It's good for everything. I always have energy bars/granola bars and at least 2 liters of water,

sometimes more in the summer. I carry two cell phones now too. (one personal, one work) They don't always get

service out in the woods, but I have faked it before in one of the weird situations I mentioned in my recent post.

Thanks for sharing the info!

Katherine

Since I mostly shoot in familiar territory, I usually go alone. Even when I visited Florida and California I found some time for going alone. You just keep in mind all the common sense safety concerns that you have for general hiking, you just have the camera with you. Part of the reason for mostly alone is the same as most have stated on here, can't find someone with a similar interest who can tough it out for a few hours wandering the woods. One main reason for going alone is that I find more stuff, I'm not distracted by a fellow human, and one person tends to scare off less of the critters than two or more. Occasionally I do manage to get together with friends from the local camera club, it's nice to have the social outing to share photography. We start as a group, pick a spot, then always seem to wander off alone in a given area, then reconverge and move on. The advantage to that a couple of times has been when we've come across a group of deer in a park, we quietly circled and moved slowly using hand signals, ended up moving the deer towards each other so we all got good shots. More eyes in a group also pick out some things you might have missed. My preference is going alone, I can move when I want, and where I want. Although...there's times when it would be nice to have someone help me keep that darned canoe in place when I'm shooting!

Rose-Marie

I always go solo, whether it's local or hiking. Besides the camera gear I carry the basic backpacking supplies (ten

essentials minimum plus cellphone, really good raingear - it's the northwest and emergency overnight equipment on long

day hikes) and leave notes with folks and at home where I'll be (trailhead and trail along with my van description and

license). These days you have to use care and caution if it's a new place. Some people at trailheads and on trails aren't

there to hike. If you want to carry a weapon, check the laws or carry and/or permits. Being safe is one thing, being illegal is

another. Good luck.