Do you get funny looks when shooting large format?

mark_capowski

I enjoy shooting with a wood camera (4x5, moving up to 8x10 now). Do

any of you get funny looks when using your LF camera in public? Most

people stare at my camera, and they really get a laugh when I pull

out the focusing cloth.

I'd love to hear your experiences and the comments people make. I

most often get asked:

"What is that?"

"Does it take color pictures?"

"There is this new thing called digital.. want me to explain it to

you?"

Hopefully we can get a fun thread going.

Mark

I ignore laughter, except to ask the laughing ones to move out of the way as necessary. I go on about my business and they go away. (It's really rare though.)

Usually, though, people exhibit strong interest and curiosity. I try to answer questions without it interfering with the work.

Generally, people are very nice, even respectful. Makes the outings even nicer, knowing that I'm among friends....

Most common comment: Is that some kind of antique?

Dumbest comment: I'm out in the field, I've got a 4x5 on a tripod, a lightmeter around my neck, film holders and lenses in a bag...everything but the little birdie. Someone asks, "Are you a photographer?" D'oh! I blew my cover somehow!

I try to be funnier looking than my camera. However, the only people who give me trouble are the serious alcoholics who come rolling out of the bushes and darkened taverns. They tend to want long, long conversations and to tell you what great photographers they were and how they wish they had never sold their Ricohflex.

I like that people are curious about large format, especially kids. I've let

several people get under the dark cloth and experience it for themselves.

Their answer is always, "WOW!" I recently explained to a kid that this is really

the way your eyes see things until your brain flips it around and his answer

was, "So, we're all really walking around on our heads." I thought that was a

great observation!

I was showing my Graflex and my Linhof viewfinder to an old man selling copies of Olemc (?)

figurines at the "pyramids" in Oaxaca last week after he asked questions (and I rapidly tried

to remember my Spanish). Sat down next to him, struck a deal for a figure and a portrait. He

was telling his friend who came by about it. A couple tourists (young, German) paused and

said "Great camera!"

<p>

It's nice funny. 4x5 already slows me down, makes me more thoughtful. But when in public

then the questions start - and things slow down even more. But it's cool.

Perhaps it's no coincidence that many photographers actually prefer using their large format kit when there's no one else around, except perhaps someone helpful enough to carry some of the gear.<p>

In the city I live in, I can still count on one hand the number of medium format cameras I've seen in use. Same goes for Leicas. I've yet to see anyone standing around with a large format camera.<p>

My Mamiya 7 hardly raises any eyebrows, though, as it doesn't look all too imposing, more like a big SLR with a small lens.<p>

I am about to get myself my first large format camera, so perhaps I should try it out in the middle of town one day, although I think I'm actually the kind of photographer who prefer it when I can do my stuff without interruptions from random passers-by.<p>

I hnow this is the large format forum but i would like to share my experience too.

It happens to a lessen degree with medium format too. When i use a TLR and get noticed, i get "how old is that camera ?" . If it is my Mat 124G, they are disapointed that it is 70's made. It has to be 50's to be impressive (wich i have too). So, it is not a mather of size but age. But i don't get mocking remarks (so far).

Even with 35mm manual focus SLR (a use Contax), i am consider more and more as some dinosaur ( but not by people that know me and my background).

Local photo stores closing has force me today to send my slide film through my local drugstore. It was the first time the employee saw an E-6 processing film. Next week, i will try them with a 120...

I salute you, large format shooters, as pictures 'artisan' . Hang on to your intemporal gear and traditionnal way of making good pictures.

I live in Las Vegas and regularly shoot on "the Strip" with my Sinar and have found the

thousands of tourists to be very interested and curious but respectful. Only the security

personnel hassle me when I break out the camera. Interstingly, I have found that when I take

out my Wisner, they pass me by and remark to one another about how my antique camera

looks like one they saw once in a movie... I don't mind. I get my photograph and they think

I'm just a strange tourist "photo-bug"

Best,

Randy

Was out by the river with the baby Tech, a guy asked if I was done shooting video so he could pass (without getting in the picture). The statement did not compute as the camera is about 45 yrs old so I looked at him blankly. Hours later I realized he must have confused the GG for an LCD screen.

I don't get any funny looks or remarks when I break out my 4x5 but, it does gather a crowd. While the hoard collects around and watches me go through the paces of setting up, they speak in a very hushed tone as if they were in a church. Fortunately for me, I've never had a lensboard (with lens attached) fall off when I finally snap the shutter.

I've never had the digital question,but recently I was out with my 8x10 and a man came up and asked me if it was autofocus.

My reply: I guess, my photos are always sharp.

He then proceeded to stand right in front of my camera to take a picture with his Digi Rebel. It didn't bother me, I was setting up the camera to take a photo once the light improved 1/2 later ;)

More curious people. Some want to look at the GG, or through the binoc viewer, ask what it is etc. If there a lot of people out with digitals, i always seem to attract a lot of attention, especially with an 8x10.

I was at a garden location the other day where there were a lot of pro wedding photographers and a few digital shooters. One guy was following me around. Just guessing I thought at the time he had never seen anyone shooting an 8x10. He was really watching me. A couple of the wedding guys came over and talked a bit. It was interesting there views on photography for weddings and what not.

Interestingly one worked for a studio and they had a high dollar MF back on a Hassy and he mentioned that the files were too big to work with, for wedding output and he preferred his dslr.

I shoot with a 10x8 metal canham camera, and it often attracts attention. This can be

handy, since sometimes interesting portrait subjects approach ME to see what I'm doing.

In manhattan, where I live, it is an everyday occurance to see photo shoots going on

around town, and seing a view camera is (still) not all that rare.

Lots of people ask to see through the ground glass, which I always let them do (although I

may make them wait if the light is changing fast and I need to shoot asap).

Lately, not once, but twice, I have been asked if I was shooting for television when using

my view camera. Sign of the times, I guess.