Do you ever use AEB (Auto exposure bracketing) at weddings?

fuccisphotos

<p>So since I got my new 5d mk II I thought I should be good and read the whole manual. So I have. One thing it spoke about a ton which I have never used when shooting a wedding was Auto Exposure Bracketing. While it sounds like a good idea to use at say formals, I wonder if in practice it ever gets used by you guys. I tend to take at least 3 shots of each set of people during the formals just to make sure at least one has their eyes all open (hopefully!). But I was thinking it might be worthwhile to do AEB on these. But most of the time I do try to make sure to take the time before doing the shots to get the exposure as close to right as possible in camera. But after reading the histogram forum question and about Exposing To the Right (ETTR) which seems like the Mark II takes care of if you do highlight priority, it made me think that having the variety of exposures could be useful. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!</p>

<p>-Vail </p>

<p>As to bracketing, yes, on occasion I will use bracketing at a wedding... although never during the formals. For the formals I set up and test using a target card so I know my exposure is right where I need it to be. I might use it outside during days when the sun is playing peek-a-boo with the clouds and I am doing a certain shot. As example, if I am doing the "Wizard of Oz" (everyone in the wedding party arm in arm walking towards the camera), I might use AEB and literally rapid fire as the group walks, runs, skips whatever. And then pick my best shots later. Just an example.</p>

<p>As far as ETTR goes, it doesn't apply to highlight priority. ETTR applies to the Raw file and the idea that that Raw file is linear data whereas the JPEG (which is the histogram you see) has already had a processing curve applied to it. As a matter of fact, by using Highlight Priority, you are altering the JPEG and subsequent histogram but this has no effect whatsoever on the Raw file. The Raw file is just that: the Raw data. Now ETTR isn't for everyone but I just didn't want there to be any confusion on it.... there is plenty of that already!</p>

<p>I don't think AEB is useful for formals. My exposure on formals is pretty much right on, and I don't need to bracket exposure. If you are thinking it would help on closed eyes and such, just use continuous mode and fire off three in a row. I still think that is unnecessary however. Otherwise, for a situation like the folowing, I might use it.</p>

<p>You are at the back of the church during the ceremony. The couple is backlit from a window behind them. You take a bracketed series to combine later in post processing. To be truthful, though, I would probably, in the above situation, just do things manually, because that is what I'm used to.</p>

<p>I also don't use highlight priority. My 40D has it and I just never remember, in the heat of shooting. Anyway, I don't have much trouble recovering highlights in post, since I don't push the exposure enough that I lose them entirely.</p>

<p>Good Lord, you read the entire manual? That seems too much like sitting down and wading through War and Peace in one sitting. Whew!</p>

<p>Since I have a computer, I get the manual for all electronic devices with lots of buttons and gizmos and whizbang features in PDF format from the manufacturers sites and keep all of them in an "RTFM" folder on my laptop. I find that by referring to just a segment regarding a certain function seems to "stick" better mentally by actually using it and setting/unsetting it rather than trying to mentally recall "page 83 paragraph 2 line 4 also referring to pp 121, 66, 48, appendix B, appendix C subpart 4, also refer to system map pp 221-222".</p>

<p>Alas, even a Dyson rollerball vacuum requires a PDF manual just to release the long "sucky-tube" from the handle these days. And I'm sure there's an on/off switch on that sucker somewhere. In the end, it's "thanks for vacuuming, dear while I read the manual..."</p>

<p>AEB is very useful, particularly for situations where the contrast is too high to be captured in one shot.</p>

<p>Pretty pointless for formals in themselves, but perhaps invaluable if you're shooting them against a background that's a few stops out from the main exposure. In an emergency it can also be a very workable substitute for fill flash if you don't mind some post work.</p>

<p>The trick to using AEB is judging the metering differential you need across the scene. Then dial in an adequate shooting index and you're good to go. Shooting technique requires a single burst with tight control over framing to keep movement to a minimum.</p>

<p>What Neil is talking about is "sloppy" HDRI, high dynamic range imaging, which is one use of bracketing. Maybe exposure blending is a more correct label for it.<br>

<br />Anyway, I've never found a need for any automatic bracketing but I might try it someday.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>One thing it spoke about a ton which I have never used when shooting a wedding was Auto Exposure Bracketing. While it sounds like a good idea to use at say formals. I tend to take at least 3 shots of each set of people during the formals just to make sure at least one has their eyes all open (hopefully!). But I was thinking it might be worthwhile to do AEB on these.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>As others have mentioned, it has limited applications for the Formals.<br>

However, how I have used bracketing during Formals, is outlined here: <a href="00XUZJ">http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00XUZJ</a> note the bracketing was to address rapidly changing EV and when the Photographer was being pressed for time. And as I usually set a tripod for formals and used a remote release i.e. I was not usually behind the camera - bracketing was a good solution for me.<br />As Neil mentioned knowing what range to bracket is important - whatever the reason for making the bracket.<br>

<br />Other than in a similar situation outlined in the link above I cannot see a benefit in bracketing shots as the standard routine, for the Formals.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p>If you use strobes for formals, you've got one additional reason not to use AEB: if you do all three (or five) shots rapid-fire, the strobes (if they can keep up) will probably cause one or more people in the group you're shooting to blink for at least one or two images after the first pop. </p>

<p>I certainly use it at other times of the day (i.e., aside from formals) however -- especially where I'm not sure what the best exposure will be in a high-contrast scene, and I don't want to (or have time to) meter it carefully. It can provide a helpful safety margin.</p>

<p>I run the camera & flashes in manual. I don't use TTL or ETTL as I've found it can be fooled and give an incorrect exposure. <br /> Do you capture in RAW?</p>

<p>My wish: Canon would have the option to have the histogram only on the LCD back of camera.</p>

<p>Best!</p>

<p> </p>