do you ever use a monopod at weddings?

glenn_owens1

I haven't used a monopod for general candid shooting with flash. I have used a monopod for low light shooting during the ceremony. I love this Bogen model with the retractable feet:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=332749&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Also, I've seen photographers shooting with heavy medium format rigs- i.e. RB67 camera/lens, big bracket, Norman flash- use a monopod to steady themselves and so their arms don't fall off from hours of holding up a ton of equipment. Shooting candids with 35mm or Mamiya 7IIs at events, I've not had the need for a monopod.

i don't use flash -- except in the dark. so, i tried using a monopod at a holiday party recently. i was able to shoot *reliably* at 1/25 sec (not just when i got lucky, as before). yet, it was lightweight and there was nothing for anyone to trip over. (plus, it further sets you apart from 'Uncle Bob'.)

i will never again do indoor-event photography without one.

Sometimes. Like Mary, I find them cramping my style. But in Michigan it's hard to do without

them due to low light interior shots. I use a tripod for most formal photography. A monopod

makes moving around a dark church interior a bit easier for ceremony candids.