Do you ever catch people secretly taking your picture?

dan_south

<p>This seems to happen a lot when I'm shooting. I turn around and catch some dude with his camera pointed right at me. They usually look away very quickly and pretend that they were taking a picture of something behind you or above your head. Then they slink away and sometimes even try to catch you from a more remote vantage point.</p>

<p>Does this ever happen to you? How does it feel to be photographed without your consent? If the dude came up to me and said, "Hey, do you mind if I take a couple of shots of you using your camera?" I'd probably be fine with it. It's the creepy, sneaky attitude that annoys me, like a thief waiting to pick my pocket when I'm not looking.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Why would I care? Anyway, when I worked in a building at Hollywood and Vine I knew I was in at least the background of a few tourist shots every day, and there have been a few times where I've passed "moving car" movie/TV setups on flatbed trucks. When I'm passing the plans to Boris or Natasha, I wear a mask.</p>

<p>Shooting photographers is one of my triggers, I do it all the time. I don't do it well though. In 25 years, I think I only have 2 good shots of others shooting. One was at the mermaid parade, coney island, a couple years ago. If you don't like being shot, don't shoot.</p>

<p>"How does it feel to be photographed without your consent?"</p>

<p>It happens to me often being a particularly handsome photogenic dude...why, sometimes they start scrapping among themselves in their excitement; understandable really. It's something i just have to live with i suppose but it would be nice to be asked so i could pose offering my best profiles. <br>

<br>

“It's the creepy, sneaky attitude that annoys me, like a thief waiting to pick my pocket when I'm not looking."<br>

<br>

It’s the touching and groping i find most disturbing especially when they try to acquire a piece of my body hair.<br>

<br>

Oh well such is the price of fame and fortune.<br>

<br>

;)</p>

<div>00TmRX-148781584.jpg.b308b03c9aeb6a8224ae235c11a83fa2.jpg</div>

<p>I have no problem with people photographing me. This is more likely to happen when I am playing flute than when I am photographing something. I apparently have a sufficient resemblance to Kenny G to get asked about it at least once a month.</p>

<ul>

<li>I was once mistaken for Kenny G by Rashid Wallace of the Detroit Pistons. That was kind of cool.</li>

<li>I was once photographed in a place I frequent, and then approached a week later by the photographer, who had printed the picture and asked me to autograph it.</li>

</ul>

<p><em>How does it feel to be photographed without your consent? </em></p>

<p>I get photographed/videotaped so frequently using the subway, driving to work, using an ATM or going into the bank, going into most stores, etc. that I don't give it much thought anymore. Being photographed because someone thinks I'm interesting/funny looking doesn't seem any worse than having my image recorded because I'm a potential criminal.</p>

<p>And, as someone already mentioned, if I do give it any thought, I just take a picture of them, as well.</p>

<p><i>"If the dude came up to me and said, "Hey, do you mind if I take a couple of shots of you using your camera?" I'd probably be fine with it."</p></i>

<p>Is this <b>your</b> usual approach when you shoot street scenes?</p>

<p>Try traveling in China. If you happen to be white (can't speak for anyone else) people won't even attempt to be sneaky. I had one woman walk in front of me for the length of a pedestrian tunnel, videotaping me with her cellphone. I'm sure it made for award winning cinema!</p>