Hi. Just wondering if any of you keep your camera with you all the time. If so

what lenses do you keep on it, and how do you keep it protected? I work in

EMS, and I want to try and keep a camera with me in the ambulance, but I do

not want to bring my whole kit with me. I have a 30D with a 50 1.4, and 24-70,

and a 75-300. I was thinking just keeping the 50 on it in a small bag like the

Lowepro topload mini. Or should I put the zoom on it. Just looking for

opinions. Thanks.

Andy

Not all the time, but it is very often with me. Usually my 10D with a zoom, normally a Tamron 28-75 but sometimes a Canon 20-35, in a CCS 'Warthog' type padded case. I think that if you only want to keep one lens with you, the 24-70 is the obvious choice, unless weight is an issue.

My dream walk around standard lens would be a Canon 30mm f2 USM IS, but it doesnt exist!

I have the 5D and 20D bodies with the 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200LIS, and 50 1.4 lenses. This only comes out when I have a specific job to do. I keep a Canon G6 in the car with me. It's a real nice pocket camera (7mp, 4-1 zoom and f2.0/3.0 lens). It gives real good results though obviously not a SLR with L glass. It gives me the opportunity to shoot strangers when would feel uncomfortable having a large lens aimed at them. When I have the G6 they feel I'm just one of them - a shutterbugging tourist.

Andrew,

I tried carrying my camera with me on a daily basis, but it proved to be burdensome.

Burdensome from the point of having to worry about where it was, theft, heat buildup, rough riding in the car, and not having the camera readily available at a moments notice, because it had to removed from it's carrying case/bag.

I solved those worrisome problems with a point and shoot.

It has decent resolution, and if I need them, it has good telephoto and near focus capabilities.

For my needs, having a readily available/accessible camera, is more important than the slower-to-handle dslr, plus, my worries about theft and care in the car are gone.

Pictures that I would otherwise miss with a packed away dslr, I'm able to capture by just taking the diminutive point-and-shoot out of my shirt pocket.

No.

When I go to work I have no camera with me. When I go to see friends/family I have no camera with me. When I go to the evening school I have no camera with me.

I've been doing so for several years. No problems. Have not seen anything yet which will cause me to change my mind and think "I wish I had my camera with me".

Happy shooting,

Yakim.

Monday thru Friday, nope. Sat and Sun, yes and I bring what I think I'll need. I have been thinking of getting my own point and shoot for Mon. thru Fri. but realistically I don't have time to take pictures during the week. There have been a few times when I've missed a beautiful morning or sunset. But then I just enjoy the scenery and remind myself there is no need to record everything.

I ride my bicycle daily from home to work and back across Paris - a total of 25 km. That gives me plenty of opportunity to witness street scenes and I often regret not having my camera with me. My usual 400D+BG-E3+24-70/2.8L is way to bulky and heavy for occasions when I am not specifically making pictures. I hesitate between buying a 50mm lens to mount with no BG-E3, or buying an Ixus as a complement.

I did "in the early days," when it was my newest toy and I was playing with it, er, I mean, checking out all its functions as much as shooting with it. Now, the initial euphoria has subsided, and I only take it when I plan to use it. I'm more of an "event photographer" than anything else, so I usually know in advance when I'm going to want to have it with me.

Wondering if it's acceptable to carry a camera in your line of work. I used to work in critical care settings in hospitals, and in various clinical settings, and there is no way a camera at work would be acceptable, unless you're taking pics of a staff function or similar. If I'm a patient in the hospital, I don't want people taking pics of me, similarly if I'm in an accident and requiring EMTs. The MD who runs your program may question your dedication if you are carrying cameras with you - are you here to work or to take photos? Just my experience.

Everywhere, all the time. Currently using 5D w/50mm f/1.4. Formerly used A-1 w/50mm f/1.2L. The fast 50mm is your best bet in my opinion (although an argument for the 35mm f/1.4 or f/2 can also be made). If it's good enough for Cartier-Bresson, I'm betting it's good enough for me. Small sling (messenger) bags work best for me. After this long, it's like forgetting to put on my watch. I literally have to go back home if I ever forget to bring a camera. Paul

I have reduced my 20D kit to camera and 3 lenses in a case that carries other items as well and so is not to obvious as a camera case. It does however still make a weighty load so in answer to your question; No I don't carry my DSLR all the time. I do however have a P&S which I carry most of the time.

Yes, at work I always have my camera with me. I am in a similar profession and my camera and the small kit I own are with me. Something things that I considered. I never take pictures of what is happening at a scene, I'm there to work. I never take pictures of people when I'm driving around, that's how you get complained on. I use it to take pictures of night scenes (landscapes or buildings) when it's slow or when we are training. I keep my gear in a Storm case (similar to a Pelican Case) to keep it protected from the hard bumps and bruises. My 580 EX is in another smaller Pelican case. In my situation, I am the only person who access to the vehicle, so it's locked if im not in it, plus there are other things more valuable to steal. The car runs my whole shift so the climate inside the vehicle is constant. The cases can be a pain, but it is worth the protection. I have only missed one picture in 3 years when I needed the camera right away. I agree with another post that you should not be taking pictures of a scene and what people are going through. We see some interseting stuff and we get a great perspective, however if you start taking these pictures you are no longer an EMT, but a journalist. I've seen some great pictures but I just leave my camera where it's at (cases come in handy here, to hard to get them out and be tempted). I carry my whole kit at work (Canon 30D, kit lens, 50 mm 1.8, and a 70-200 f4, 580 ex, and bracket) and I have some good night pictures of the city or moon. The camera doesn't get a whole lot of use, but I have it, it's safe and protected, so when I see something I want to remember I have it. I know this is long winded, hope it helps.

I am afflicted with being a genetic collector, so which camera is the question. I found a little 5MP Pentax Optio SV that allows me to go fully manual, so I usually have that with me. My cell phone, of course, but that would be true desparation given the lack of quality.