Do the V700/V750 scanners work upside down?

<p>I have my Umax Astra 610P from new (in the 1990's) but it does not work if turned upside down. Apart from scanning films I want to scan 3D objects without the 'flattened plane of object touching the glass' syndrome, and I am asking for that last reason. I thought the V700 would be a decent all round contender (the only film I haven't got is 110 and 10'x8').<br>

<br />I've spoken to someone who has tried a few scanners with the same aim of 3D scanning but all those he tried, likewise, would not scan. The sensor tracking mech's seem to be held inplace by gravity.<br>

I will try Epson with this question but you know what product PR can be like so I'd like some independant feedback.<br>

<br />May as well ask what's the drop off like with distance from the sensor if anybody has done this? Doing 3D (upright) with my scanner, after a couple of cm's most colours are 80% dark grey with a hint of colour.</p>

<p>Back tomorrow night! :)</p>

<p>For creating images (alas, two dimensional images) of three dimensional objects, the best instrument would probably be a photographic camera. It will work much better than a scanner, which is designed to create images of flat sheets held at a distance of about the thickness of a piece of glass.</p>

You've got my imagination going!

I have done a little 3D or direct scanning of objects, and the results can be fantastic.

For things such as leaves it is wonderful, and you can really exploit the resolution and get gazillions of pixels.

So you have to tell us: what do you want to scan? Tree rings?

Otherwise, you will have problems with depth of field and unnatural lighting, and should be using a camera, no?

<p>Got to agree with you Otto for the 'wonderful' direct scanning of suitable items and indeed (unfortunately for your imagination) its just for leaves I was enquiring about.</p>

<p>But will the V7xx scan upside down?</p>