Do Nikon reset the shutter count?

BeBu Lamar

Yesterday I want to verify that I have taken roughly 6000 shots since I bought my Nikon Df in 2013. I found out that all the website that check shutter count reported only 1253 shots. I used several websites but they all report the same. Now to think of it, that amount would be right if Nikon reset the counter when I sent it in for the meter repair.

I thought Nikon never reset the count even when they replaced the shutter.

Bebu, I removed your three images from the thread since they all contain EXIF data, including your camera serial number. If you don't mind revealing that to the public, I can restore those images into this discussion.

Thanks Shun but really don't care. I uploaded just to show that somehow the shutter count was reset. Since you already got the count from the images I think there is no need to restore them. So I guess Nikon did reset it but they didn't replace the shutter. I had the problem with the meter not shutter.

By any chance they also replaced your Df’s shutter? Normally they shouldn’t reset the count.

I don't think so. They said they replace the exposure board. The shutter was working perfectly only the meter failed and only in viewfinder mode. In liveview there was no problem. In my opinion the camera has an intermitten connection to the metering cells in the viewfinder because when it acted up it acted like the scene is completely dark.

My D5 was repaired by Nikon USA twice, in 2019 and 2020. It was dropped both times and there were outside damages, and the shutter actuation/image count was never reset during those two repairs. I think Nikon might have replaced your shutter without explicitly informing you or maybe they accidentally reset the counter. Edited by ShunCheung

I wouldn't worry about it BeBu. At a rate of 6000 shots every 9 years, you might possibly wear the camera out in another 140 years! ;)

I wish but my camera needed a rather major repair ($400) in 2018 and that was 5 years old with only approx 5500 actuations.

I don't think so. They said they replace the exposure board. .

MMM OK, , there is a good chance that the memry chip where camera information is kept is located on this "exposure board"..

Did they mention a "part number" fot the replaced board?

• Like 1

MMM OK, , there is a good chance that the memry chip where camera information is kept is located on this "exposure board"..

Did they mention a "part number" fot the replaced board?

I can't find the paper that came back with the camera but I don't think there is a part number. Could very well be what you said. The camera meter calibration as well as the ISO sensitivity changed after the the repair. It's a small amount but I made test when I first bought the camera so I know.

Good point C.P.M. It is pretty common practice that if there are electronic problems, they would simply swap out the entire circuit board, and the shutter count may go with it. Perhaps they should program the original shutter actuation count into the new board to carry that forward.

Good point C.P.M. It is pretty common practice that if there are electronic problems, they would simply swap out the entire circuit board, and the shutter count may go with it. Perhaps they should program the original shutter actuation count into the new board to carry that forward.

Besides the problem was intermittent. It would work for a long time and all in a sudden the meter quit. I had to wait until it acted up then made a video thru the viewfinder to show the reading was messed up and a tap on the camera brought it back to normal. I was so afraid that they check it out and find nothing wrong with it. I sent the video with the camera.

• Like 1

I wish but my camera needed a rather major repair ($400) in 2018 and that was 5 years old with only approx 5500 actuations.

Too bad. Sorry.

I was never happy with the metering in my D700, but decided to live with it after losing use of the camera for several weeks to Nikon UK's appalling service. Resulting in the standard 'within spec' report and nothing being done.

What finally put the nail in the coffin of my lengthy patronage of Nikon was my experience with the D800, that 1) immediately had to be returned from new with a severe AF error, 2) developed a sloppy 'joystick' button after a couple of years fairly light use - I was no longer working in photography at that time - and 3) now has the dreaded, and common, pushed-in 10 pin socket - that I believe Nikon still refuses to acknowledge as a manufacturing fault.

Almost concurrently I bought a D7200 that had a failed shutter after 4 weeks use, as well as a huge AF offset that needed an 'end-stopping' AF fine tune. Luckily (?) the fatal shutter fault got the camera swapped out for a new one, which has far better AF accuracy - but still not perfect.

Oh, nearly forgot. The 17-55 Zoom Nikkor I bought to go with the D7200 has some obvious de-centring as well. And I rejected a number of 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor zooms due to a poor 'feel' - either gritty, stiff or sloppy zoom rings. There was no consistency; none of the samples actually felt the same, and there were numerous reports of the Zoom ring seizing up. No such issue with my supposedly 'plasticky' Tamron SP 24-70 that's delivered high quality images for years now.

And that, ladies and gents, is why I now use a Sony A7Riv and not a Z series Nikon. So far uneventfully fault-wise. Fingers crossed.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Too bad. Sorry.

I was never happy with the metering in my D700, but decided to live with it after losing use of the camera for several weeks to Nikon UK's appalling service. Resulting in the standard 'within spec' report and nothing being done.

What finally put the nail in the coffin of my lengthy patronage of Nikon was my experience with the D800, that 1) immediately had to be returned from new with a severe AF error, 2) developed a sloppy 'joystick' button after a couple of years fairly light use - I was no longer working in photography at that time - and 3) now has the dreaded, and common, pushed-in 10 pin socket - that I believe Nikon still refuses to acknowledge as a manufacturing fault.

Almost concurrently I bought a D7200 that had a failed shutter after 4 weeks use, as well as a huge AF offset that needed an 'end-stopping' AF fine tune. Luckily (?) the fatal shutter fault got the camera swapped out for a new one, which has far better AF accuracy - but still not perfect.

Oh, nearly forgot. The 17-55 Zoom Nikkor I bought to go with the D7200 has some obvious de-centring as well. And I rejected a number of 24-70mm f/2.8 AF-S Nikkor zooms due to a poor 'feel' - either gritty, stiff or sloppy zoom rings. There was no consistency; none of the samples actually felt the same, and there were numerous reports of the Zoom ring seizing up. No such issue with my supposedly 'plasticky' Tamron SP 24-70 that's delivered high quality images for years now.

And that, ladies and gents, is why I now use a Sony A7Riv and not a Z series Nikon. So far uneventfully fault-wise. Fingers crossed.

Joe,

Have you been stealing the ruby out of the navel of any fat little idols or raiding any tombs lately.? From the above litany, I can only conclude that you are cursed. :)

• Like 1

From the above litany, I can only conclude that you are cursed.

Or that Nikon should be!

I'll add that I happily used Nikon film bodies and lenses - 2x F2A, FE, FM and F801s - with not a single fault nor complaint. In fact they're all still in good working order. As is the Canon 5D that initially tempted me away from Nikon. The introduction of the D700 persuaded me back to Nikon, and quite frankly, that was probably the worst equipment decision I've ever made, since, together with my legacy Nikon glassware, it committed me to the brand.

With hindsight I wish I'd sold every piece of F-mount lensware I owned and bought Canon L glass, instead of swapping body brands.

• Like 1