Do I really need the 580EX for my 5D if I already have the 550EX?

carlosmiller

I have a 5D and a 1D MKII along with 2 550 flashes I thought along the lines you are thinking but I had to get both 550's fixed so I got a 580 to go on with. I think it is a much better flash in build quality. The startup time is amazing and in fast mode you can belt off shot after shot although with 5D this isn't so much of a problem. If you get the 580 you can use it as master for 550 to enhance youre lighting capabilities, Also you can use the 550 as a Master and Slave the 580 but set the custom functions to emit but dont fire and get some great off camera results. I bought a Manfrotto Monopod that has small fold out legs and I use my off cmera flash on that it works extremely well. But anyway if you shoot a lot of flash then I think you wont reget the purchase of the 580 but if you only use it occasionally then keep going with the 550 a save money....Happy shooting

Bottom line: The 580EX is cooler.

Specifically,

1) Smaller, yet same flash power.

2) Faster recycle time

3) Improved ergonomics on the controls (if you do things manually)

BUT. . both flashes are fully ETTL-2 compatible. Both have similar power. Both have manual flash control.

>>Do I really need the 580EX for my 5D if I already have the 550EX?<<

No! Not at all.

>>What exactly would I get with the 580EX that I don't already have with the 550EX?<<

Nothing worth the switch. Just look at the specs side by side and you can decide for yourself whether the "extra features" are worth the switch for YOU.

It wasn't for me.

>> Do I really need the 580EX for my 5D if I already have the 550EX?

If you have to ask, probably not.

>> What exactly would I get with the 580EX that I don't already have with the 550EX?

Much better UI, much faster recycle times, full digital compatibility, build-in white card, build-in wide diffuser that goes to 14mm and few other bits and pieces.

Happy shooting,

Yakim.