Up to now, I've been doing almost all glamour portraits using studio

lighting, but a close friend insists that I photograph her wedding

(believe me, I've tried to talk her out of it). I just got a D-70 and

am probably going to get an SB-800 flash. I have never used a flash

bracket before, but I understand the reason for moving the flash off

camera. Having said that, how big of a difference would it really

make? I don't really want to spend 100.00 or more for something I

won't get much use out of, but on the other hand, I really want her

pictures to come out as well as I can possibly make them.

A bracket makes a big difference, especially for vertical shots. A Stroboframe Press-T will run you about $85. You'll also need an off camera shoe cord to mount your flash. The anti-twist plate for mounting the bracket to the camera is worth the few bucks extra.

Even though you are shooting the wedding for a friend, use professional wedding contracts to protect yourself & limit your liability. Shooting for friends can be a risky business.

Joe

It makes a big difference.

If you don't use a bracket all your vertical shots will have a very distracting shadow off to one side. You want to make sure you can get a bracket that will allow you to flip the flash above the lens for vertical shots. If not all your verticals will have the Grim Reaper shadow in them. Not pretty.

Anytime your intention is to shoot quality shots of people, you need a bracket. It helps eliminate red eye and drops the shadows behind the subject instead of off to the side.

I would also suggests shooting as much as you can in RAW in case your exposure is off a little you can adjust in post-processing. You only get one chance to get the shot so give your self some flexibility.

Good Luck

Dave

Well, looks like I'll be buying a bracket and cable then. By the time I'm done buying everything I need to do this wedding, I'll have spent more than the bride's father =P

Anyone have a suggestion on a good book on shooting weddings? Most of the ones I've seen just show a lot of photos, which is nice, but I'd like something a little more specific and technical.

just a thought but you might want to check out the gary fong lightsphere.

It�s not quite a replacement for a bracket, but I�ve been messing with for a couple of months and it does significanly reduce shadows. It also costs less than a bracket and off camera cord.

I�ve been very happy with the results.

cheers

lucas

On the other hand, for this one occassion you can just put the flash in the accessory shoe with a softbox and just don't shoot portrait.

Shifting from portrait to landscape makes the album hard to read.

I have a cheap $15 flash bracket from bugeye digital (the folding one).

Here's a portrait shot with Vivitar 285 and Lumiquest Softbox: